EQ2 Gameplay Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

The past couple of days I have been enjoying EQ2 again. I just wanted to pass along my thoughts about something I think is really appealing about EQ2. I really like that they introduced variation on the level system. The idea of Epic vs Heroic vs Normal creatures is really superb. I love it. I also really like the different level of chests from small chests to exquisite chests. There are so many more great things about the actual game systems that make this game really great.

The level based system in EQ2 is so fun. I like monster hunting. Looting gear is fun but it is mostly just a means to hunt more dangerous creatures. I looked at WoW today as well. I saw that the creatures only have a name and a health bar like EQ1 so I assume that it plays very much like EQ1. That is fun too but whoever designed the creature level and chest system in EQ2 really improved the EQ1 game though, imho. It is much more interesting and it is really thrilling to find an Epic x2 or Epic x3 that my girlfriend and I can beat, together with our mercs.

There was an Epic x4 dragon in Pillars of Flame today that we were going to attempt but I arrived first and the dragon was able to see the entire plateau, I think, so I was killed before my girlfriend arrived. It hit very hard so I think we were over matched, so we didn't try again. Plus we were 57 and it was 65. Maybe we can try again when we are even with it. I hope we can beat it! We are a Guardian and a Warlock. We have about 200 AAs. Maybe if we were at max AA?

I love the bracketing around the names to communicate strength along with color to indicate relative level. Beautifully done. If there were more than one level of intelligence, maybe there could be a corresponding number of crowns along and over the top of the name.

Anyways, I still really admire this game. I still think they should expand the range which creature kills count for quests, though, Back in the day, when the game was slower paced, it was probably not too small, but my merc can kill so fast that killing a named by accident can be a problem when you you only get credit within 25 yards or something. The game is so fast paced now, I think we should be in cooperative questing mode out to like 250 yards or more. That way we can work a whole field of creatures together without missing out on many updates.

I have another criticism. I think the mercs should be improved. The game is underpopulated at lower levels and newer players rely on the mercs. I know we do. They couldn't be "too smart". I think the smarter the mercs are and the more predictable they behave the better the play experience is going to be for people who rely on them. I have not sat down to figure out how or even if they can be improved. I would love to help though. Anything I can do. My main gripes are that they sometimes cease to attack properly. I have to back them off and tell them to attack and then I end up micro managing them or having to re-summon them. I think they should be more reliable as an assist for damage instead of just standing there and casting beneficial spells sometimes. My bard and the warden both do this. (edit: even when the options on the merc control panel are set properly for assist and protection.) Next, though I could micro manage them, I often don't when traveling and sometimes my merc tends to end up with creatures on its list that have already decided to return to their home point. That is, they have passed beyond their tether range and are returning home. My merc will chase after them. I wish he would forget if they forget.
  2. Obano Well-Known Member

Mercs are getting a big upgrade in two weeks. They will give you buffs that will make you more powerful even when the merc is not summoned.

TIP: to keep the merc from running off click the little green birdie icon on the mercenary toolbar.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Epic foes are meant for groups. Epic x2 is meant for two 6-person groups. Epic x4 is meant for a full four groups. If you are, say, level 110 and mentor down to a lower Epic's level, you may be able to solo that Epic, but that's only because scaling with mentoring is poorly implemented.
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  4. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

To be fair, on older content like this it's no longer a 1-to-1 scale on epic rating vs number of groups required. Gear inflation, AAs, mercs, and general mechanics changes have really thrown that scale off under level 70. With fabled gear, enough AAs, and the right mercs they could probably take one of those PoF dragons.

To OP:
    Dont climb up onto the plateau until you're ready to engage. Stay stuck to the climbable wall just over the edge with your camera out so you can watch the dragon. Then everyone charge up together. Send in mercs first to eat the opening aoe. If you can, pull it down into the water to nullify any knockbacks its may have.