EQ2 damage calculator (combat engine)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Entropy, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Entropy Well-Known Member

Folks,

For those of you that may be inclined to mess around with spreadsheets, here you go. A while back I built a simple spreadsheet that allowed me to compare the relative gains between different gear. It's accurate to EQ2's current combat engine formulas (not terribly complex, but a pain to work with if you aren't using a spreadsheet). Note that it doesn't account for mob mitigation, debuffs, the fact that AE abilities get reduced benefit from AMOD, the fact that not all of your abilities have the same base damage, or damage ranges within each tooltip - it's just to compare the estimated effects of different gear choices.

http://www.megafileupload.com/bCT3/EQ2_Combat_Engine_Comparative_Calculator.xlsx
    or
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=27124168782598347122

Tab 1 is the main comparison matrix. I put some dummy data in there to show how stat scaling can have huge effects on your final ability damage. Multiplicative gains get pretty big when you're multiplying 4 or 5 scaling factors together.

Tab 2 requires some more work on your part. It's used to determine the max AMOD benefit your spells can use. To accurately populate this tab, you need to find the true base damage of your spells. You have to strip naked, remove all AA's and buffs, and then divide backwards from the remaining Potency (from tithe, which you can't remove) and MainStat (which you can't get to 0). EQ2U shows you the "Master" level damage for most of your stuff - you can start by going to the correct tab there and filling some of it in. AA abilities will require you to actually figure it out as per above method.

Tab 3 I copied from someone's old spell efficiency calculator. Mostly to use it as a quick conversion calculator between MainStat and resulting base damage increase. (I copied the formula into part of Tab 2 as well though, so you could technically mess with it from there by changing your MainStat in the grey fields.)

Have fun - and be informed!
    Livejazz, Regolas, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  2. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Please make this sticky!
  3. Laiina Well-Known Member

Interesting. And it shows just how convoluted the stats have become over the years.
    Livejazz and Prissetta like this.
  4. DamnataAnimus Active Member

Tried to open the tiny upload link,and excel threw a error. Would try mega link but on my tablet and annoying registering on website with it. Will try again on my desktop but though I'd say both thank you I advance and lethe you know about the error.
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

Not opened yet, but if it does what you say then you are amazing sir.
  6. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Warning - malware / popup sites. You've been warned.

I'd recommend using Google Drive or Icloud to host those files, rather than rely on a 3rd party "freeware" style website that will bombard everyone with an "open software updater" popup that tells you your files are out of date. Not everyone is internet savvy enough to work around the subtle nuances of a malware site.
    Dude, Laiina, Prissetta and 1 other person like this.
  7. RescueMe Member

For what it's worth, you can go to http://dragonsarmory.com/ and find what ABMOD each of your abilities caps out at on your character.
  8. Entropy Well-Known Member

Sorry, was just looking for a quick free fileupload site. Uploaded to my Google Drive now as well:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AqSKT2uR-PNU1paGdJZXl6LUU

Please let me know if there are any access issues and I'll tweak sharing settings if necessary.

Reminder to download the file to restore the proper Excel formatting/etc. (It shouldn't be editable by anyone else right now anyway.)
  9. Maldek Active Member

Cool spreadsheet, neat to see the math behind the madness. But could you add some Conditional Formatting for when my stats are "Leet"? Would like bright green and yellow so I know when I'm über enough
    Prissetta likes this.
  10. Nkito Well-Known Member

we are never uber enough
  11. Laiina Well-Known Member

Totally uber would be to one shot AOE Stygian.
    Prissetta likes this.
  12. Entropy Well-Known Member

Future version, for sure!
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. Odur27 Member

Hello Entropy, I'm having trouble understanding how you come up with the numbers you are showing in your spreadsheet. Any chance you could layout the Formulas? If you're like me you hate to "Show your work" but I really want to fully understand how to get the correct numbers via equations. Also, any chance you know the formulas used to calculate the equitable values of Potency to ABmod? (Example: 1 Point of potency = 45.0458 ABmod) I understand these numbers might have scaling values based on other stats. (Example if you have 7k Potency 1 CB = 4 Pot, and at 8k Potency 1 CB = 4.5 Pot) I'm wanting to understand how and why this happens so I can calculate them exactly. I've seen many of your posts and you seem very helpful and knowledgeable. The values in my examples are based on the information I have to work with. Information I currently work with is mostly based on subjective analysis, I am looking for the information based in scientific fact. "Give a man a fish he'll have food for a meal, teach a man to fish and he'll have food for a lifetime". I want to learn how to fish, thank you for your consideration.
  14. Entropy Well-Known Member

You can click across the cells and see the formulas in excel.

For the stat balance part, that is dependent on your current gear and you can figure it out by plugging in your current stats, copying that to a few new lines, and then playing with stats until the final ability damage is equal.
  15. Entropy Well-Known Member

Also, I guess I did assume that people would know how to mess around with the spreadsheet just intuitively. If anyone needs a tutorial or further explanations, I'd be happy to update the document with a guide or some hints.
  16. Regolas Well-Known Member

Just started looking at this.

Does the int bonus modifier work for all main stats? Agi, str, wis?
  17. Entropy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just made it for my sorcerer originally. Same equations.
  18. Entropy Well-Known Member

I've seen lots of threads in class forums and elsewhere lately asking about stat priority. Sending this to the top for another look for those that are interested in plugging in their numbers for this new xpac.

Use the google docs link, not the first post.
    Prissetta likes this.
  19. Entropy Well-Known Member

As mentioned in Discord chat... here it is again.
    Trifonicx likes this.