EQ2 Completely Locking Up Computer

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Valarnin, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Valarnin New Member

I seem to have a problem with EQ2 on my Desktop completely locking up my computer, requiring a hard reboot. The mouse cursor freezes and everything. It seems to take a random amount of time, anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours. I have already verified that it's not an issue with heat and all my specs should be fine.I've also swapped out the graphics card, CPU, RAM, and motherboard individually, and the problem persists.

This ONLY occurs while playing EQ2. I can play any other game, from Battlefield 3 to Skyrim to Borderlands 2, without any issues for hours on end. I've got Planetside 2 lined up to start playing tomorrow, I'll update when I know if it's stable playing that.

Curiously, I tried playing within Linux through Wine and it never froze, though it was laggy (of course, due to Wine). I left the game running for 3 days straight and it was fine.

Here are my specs:

Power Supply: Tuniq Ensemble 1200W
    Motherboard: Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 @ 3.5GHZ
    RAM: 2x4GB G SKILL Ripjaw Series DDR3 1066
    Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 6970
    HDD: I've tried with multiple, currently I have a WD Caviar Black 1GB SATA2 drive in.
    OS: Windows 7 with all updates, running latest ATI drivers from the ATI site.
  2. Valarnin New Member

Planetside 2 was fine for 3 hours straight.
    Two corrections to the above specs: HDD is 1TB, not 1GB; OS is 64-bit.

I don't see an edit button for my other post, or else I'd have put this up there.
  3. Valarnin New Member

As a follow-up, I did finally work out the problem here. It was a problem caused by both the motherboard and the RAM. The motherboard had insufficient voltage to the NB to support the RAM, and the RAM was misreporting the required voltage to the motherboard which was causing the DRAM voltage to be too low. I bumped both voltages up by 0.125v and everything is fine now.
  4. Adrastus New Member

I'm having the same issues as Valarnin, but I am no where near as tech savvy as they seem to be. This just started happening to me today, Sunday 12/9. It seems to be an issue in game when I get near a bell in game to go to another zone. First the game freezes, then my whole computer follow suit and freezes up as well, requiring a hard reboot. I have tried re installing the game, validating files, checking all connections in my computer, logging other toons, other accounts. Some toons dont have a problem, they are not near a dock or a bell. One toon is in a guild hall near the bell, another is in Halas near the bell near the docks. I can log in ok, but as the character comes to full view on the screen, everything starts to freeze, im not able to escape, call anywhere or do anything. I dont know how to do any of the stuff Vararnin says they did to fix the problem, and I just dont believe that that is the fix in my case. Any of you techies have any ideas?
  5. Adrastus New Member

After a complete uninstall and fresh install, this seems to have gone away. Dont know for sure if it was on my end or not, but its working, so now I go back to lurking.
  6. rebelfr New Member

i still have the same things..
    created a new char, played two days ago, camping and.... cant go back to game without totaly freezing computer...
    i have try everything like video drivers, sound drivers, set a low resolution, set the game windowed, clean everything and reinstall complete game but nothing work

the freeze is always at he same time in the music, just after entering world (greater faydark)
    im playing the game in french on the storm server
  7. rebelfr New Member

so easy....

i have changed my Ram and the game is now OK...

just one little error on a ram can crash everquest2 even if many other games works ;)
  8. Valarnin New Member

EQ2 is very harsh on RAM and CPU and barely stresses the GPU in comparison. Something like memtest would probably have found your issue, rebelfr, but because my issue only happened when addressing large amounts of memory and not a specific sector of memory, it was ineffective. Also, on top of that, the streaming client suffers from worse performance, perhaps because it has to index all assets the client currently has. As such, I suggest switching from the streaming client to the full client first, then running a full memtest, and if you still have complete freezing issues, it would be safe to assume it's a hardware issue.
  9. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

My issue is similar -- I play EQ2 for approximately 5 minutes, tops, and my computer hard resets, declaring a bluescreen crash was the issue (Win7 64ultimate).

It's gotten to where I wiped my drive, bought a new MB because I'm skeptical of MSI's boards, and installed clean only the OS, latest hardware patches, and EQ2 streaming client.

I was back in the game less than 5 minutes and rebooted.

I am getting supremely frustrated here
  10. Valarnin New Member

Wirewhisker, your problem isn't the same and the cause is likely overheating. I'd suggest downloading something like Speedfan to monitor temperatures. If everything stays at acceptable levels (less than sixty celsius) then I would suggest making your own thread so that your issue can get more appropriate attention.
  11. questcraft Member

having the same problem, with machine completely locking up, ONLY when I play EQ2. very disappointing.

in regards to:
    will give that a try..if I can figure out in bios which are the right ones to bump. uggg...
  12. Valarnin New Member

Please be VERY careful when messing around with anything to do with voltage. It's extremely dangerous to change voltage without knowing exactly what you're doing and what the hardware supports -- both the NB and the RAM. If you push the numbers too far one way or the other you could fry the hardware.