EQ2 Classic

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kittik, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jaeded Well-Known Member

Long time since I posted on here, took a much needed break from the game, but of course I came back, I always do. As someone previously mentioned a 'Project 99' style server for EQ2 would seriously rock (without the crafting subcombines) pretty sure I still have my box set of CD's from EQ2 launch. I wouldn't mind paying more for a monthly sub provided there were a benefit. I currently have 2 subbed accounts and 3 unsubbed (a couple shared with my daughter who comes and goes on the game). I am still kind of miffed that if you play (even subbed) without purchasing the newest xpac, you can only play through AoM. That was a bummer after I leveled my conjy on my second subbed account to 100 and found out I couldn't do additional content. Used to be you got all previous content except the most recent 2 xpacs. I usually buy at least the collectors edition on my main account, but not the others. When you have 16-20 characters on your main account it takes a while to get to the secondary account after new xpacs are released, that account runs a couple xpacs behind. I could buy the now discounted CD xpac but then I would just jump right to PoP and not bother with ToT or KA which seem useless to waste my time on at that point. Also why can't we have a least one of our shared bank account slots available cross server?? Other games have done it. Hate having to redo things that my characters should have access to. I understand that cross region might be a issue, but cross server should be doable.
    /steps down from soapbox....for now
    Soara2 and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Jaeded Well-Known Member

And why oh why must we have the previous tier spell to scribe the upgrade? I understand it if it is being researched but I should be able to scribe a spell upgrade if I have the tome (book), cash grab mechanic that just irritates the living daylights out of me.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good luck! :)

Uwk
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

That's only for acension spells (and the celestial spell leveling requiring ancient for regular abilities)
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I completely agree with that last; I would SO like to at least be able to mail gifts cross-server, even if it's just to my own alts. :-/

Uwk
    up to 105 now (alts, not levels ;->)! :D
  6. Jaeded Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mistaken that applies to the ancient spells requiring grandmaster (and can't be your freebie Grandmaster)
    Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  7. Jaeded Well-Known Member

Completely agree, would be very happy to just mail gifts cross server (same account).
    Geroblue and Soara2 like this.
  8. Soara2 Well-Known Member

They do it because prices are not the same on servers. If they allowed it, the items would have to be heirloom and plat sure wouldn't be allowed.
    Would be nice though
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, forgot ancient, not just celestial.
    Soara2, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  10. Jaeded Well-Known Member

I would be quite happy with heirloom only and no plat.
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I'll be getting some expac on sale to. Have to spread it out over two months though.

Does this come with Mercs, or are they extra ?
    Soara2, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If we paid higher monthly subscriptions and got rid of FTP, you could probably avoid what you term "cash grabs". They're not "cash grabs". They're a mechanic for making sure the lights stay turned on and the server hamsters fed regularly. TANSTAAFL... you have to pay for it somewhere.

Also, as I keep reminding folks, you do NOT have to pay to upgrade Ascensions. They can be crafted, and researched. If you aren't in high-end raiding you don't NEED Ancients.If you're just running heroic content, make sure you have at least Experts everywhere, and upgrade just the few spells/Ascensiosn you use the most often. Taking the time to do a spell efficiency calculation and using that to order both your cast order and spell upgrade order is a big help.

AAAND, as we're about to go to level 120 in November, getting all that stuff to Ancient or Celestial probably isn't All That because higher level spells and Ascensions no doubt will be along shortly.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Yup, aint no such thing as a free lunch.
  14. Jaeded Well-Known Member

We will agree to disagree. I have no problem paying to play, I do and have since 2004. I wouldn't mind paying a higher sub fee except I doubt that would eliminate the 'cash grabs'. This is my opinion and I am entitled to it.
    Also I made no comment about having to pay to upgrade ascensions and am well aware of my options there but thank you for the intro to ascension leveling 101. Perhaps I am at fault as my post kind of rolled a couple gripes together.
    Soara2 likes this.
  15. Soara2 Well-Known Member

They need cash grabs to get my money. The AA slider business even with max AAs was freaking brilliant. I like rolling around ftp. I spend more money than a sub though. But I like the options.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  16. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

They're not cash grab but they are......... In the exact same sentence...... Yikes
    Soara2 likes this.
  17. Obano Well-Known Member

To reiterate my point from before DBG should stop doing "cash grabs" and just raise the price of the subscription. The cost of everything in life has gone up in the last 15 years but subscription games have stayed the same. It is not 2004 anymore.

Proposed new subscription tiers:

Platinum sub ($24.99/month)
    - Instant access to max level mounts, familiars, and mercenaries
    - All barding and equipment slots unlocked (goes back to being locked if the sub lapses)
    - Double currency and status for duration of subscription

Double Platinum sub ($34.99/month)
    - All barding and equipment slots unlocked (goes back to being locked if the sub lapses)
    - Double research speed on upgrading spells and research assistants
    - Triple currency and status for duration of subscription

Triple Platinum sub ($49.99/month)
    - Triple research speed on upgrading spells and research assistants
    - Can research to celestial tier
    - Triple currency and status for duration of subscription
    - Instant Beta access (when available)
    - Access to special "influencers" forum with greater dev interaction

Lifetime "GOLD" members would get a $10 discount on these higher tier subscriptions.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  18. Seefar Well-Known Member

... and I think they'd feel cheated.
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Geroblue like this.
  19. Obano Well-Known Member

Anyone who feels cheated is just being unreasonably selfish and greedy. Nothing is changed for them. They can stay at the Gold level forever and continue enjoying the same benefits they get now. The platinum sub is for those who want more than that standard gold sub offers. If gold members want to upgrade to platinum then the option would be available to them.

The alternatives are MORE stuff in the cash shop catering to whales or DBG eventually goes bankrupt the game gets shut down. We living in the real world understand money doesn't grow on trees. There is no such thing as a free game. Someone has to pay for it.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  20. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Well I do pay for it, trust me. About 1k per year and it covers all that crud, but I don't spend it on one account only. Look, this game is old, and been around since 2004, so its not really a "hot commodity" atm. Groups are hard as all get out to get into. I sub here and there to move the AA slider to level and do summer quests, and have to do it on 6 accounts. I would never pay for those subs you listed. If this game wants to seriously make more money, nerfing groups is not the way to do it, it just runs people off, hence losing money. I know many don't want to hear it, because you are willing to jump through all the hurdles, and a lot of people seem to like the hurdles being there, but a lot of people are not willing to do all of it. Especially a level 45, they do not want to solo all the way to the top all the time. Some people enjoy grouping without fuss and muss. I myself being one of those people. When they nerfed exp in Agnostics, they added another nail in the coffin, at least for many lower level players. Now these subs you propose will become the "requirements" for max level players to group eventually. Bad idea imo. Unless, of course you like more nails in the coffin. Again, I realize many ppl don't want to hear it, because they love the hurdles. I personally am pretty sick of people assuming if I am ftp at the time on that account I am on that I am trying to play for free. The attitudes from people about it kind of make me sick. I don't need a sub to spend months running crafting lines on 29 crafters I have, but I might need kronos to buy materials, especially at the beginning of the expansion (which also costs money). Seriously, what the heck do I need a sub for doing that, when I can sub another account in the house and get the stuff I actually need a sub for done. And if you think I have 6 in the house trying to play for free, well, 4 don't even play anymore (DUE TO THE GROUP REQUIREMENTS), haven't in years, and 2 are mine. I just try to keep them all somewhat updated in case they return. Sub isn't a right to play, it was an option people can pay for that gives them certain advantages. Also, this will not end cash grabs either, just add more to it. I don't think anyone is being unreasonably selfish or greedy. Anyway, that's my take. Make the game more fun for more players, to make more money.