EQ Next 2013?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Nicolos, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Nicolos Active Member

I saw an article on Gamasutra about EQ Next this morning. When Asked about EQNext, the typical "We aren't ready to show it" came up but then there was this stated by John Smedley...

"Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta."

It is a bit cryptic but also very promising. I am very much looking forward to this game and can't wait to hear more about it!
  2. Twyxx Well-Known Member

Source

Yeah, that's a bit of a shock if true. Odd wording though. If he means the game is coming out late 2013 why does he word it cryptically like that.
  3. Hoosierdaddy Active Member

As with all such promising news from Sony: optimistically hope for the best, but realistically expect the worst.
  4. Salavar Active Member

In case he gets fired or they just change their minds.
  5. Oldpoint Well-Known Member

May be....just my guess~~~~

SOE just release a content of newbie zone as EQ2 isle of refugee.
    LV 1-20
    not beta! it is a real release game
    $80 for stand edition and $120 for collector edition
    The rest of the content will be released on 2015~~~
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Because this is a development environment we are talking about. The suits up front conceive grandiose ideas. Marketing fluffs them further. The dev team is frequently completely blindsided by the project manager's specification list. This is where the phase of Predicting Doom and Bitter Recriminations begins. After the developers and often QA have pitched a fit, the plan goes BACK to the suits, who may okay it, or say, "I don't care, do it anyway".

At some point, the planning phase ends, the project manager makes assignments to his human resources, and everyone gets busy. Generally fixes and new content have been triaged so they're rated from "Fix Immediately" to "Meh, Whenever We Can". In theory, the devs work on the high priority pieces first, but if my chunk of development depends on Bob's development work and Bob hasn't got his ready, I can't finish mine and then I start on the next thing in the list.

Also remember, a dev cycle is really often six months. Before a release, six months of planning and six months of coding have happened. So kvetching days or weeks before a new release simply can't have an impact.

I expect the SOE folks to keep their cards close to the vest. Life in uncertain: Eat dessert first.
  7. Peony Thistleweed New Member

The news made me onw happy panda! I allways thought that it will at least take until autum 2014. I am really looking forward to EQ Next. :)
  8. Elostirion Well-Known Member

My eye reads this as a practice ap for the character creation process.
  9. Nicolos Active Member

Yeah, it reminded me of the character creation disc that you got with a pre-order of EQ2 lol.
  10. Thunndar New Member

I just wish they would show us something. A screen shot, anything. So tired of waiting. Been waiting for over two YEARS to see something on this game
  11. Othaodin Member

its gonna be something else, almost reminds me of what a prev poster said about the character creation thing. heh. man did they hype eq2 when it came out, the beta was a blast, and so was launch. i remember getting my beta invite, alot of people were but not everyone and it was so AWEsome to run around in the begining areas swinging ball and chain around at everything. ah the memories. I hope to build more. I plan on probably staying here until eq next, or defiance. i might not even play defiance lol. I probably wont even get to level 90 before eq next comes out lmao. even as a f2p person as is. there is a GRIP of content. I remember one reason why i quit playing eq2 was because i couldnt afford the 14.99 a month. idk i feel like im back in 2000 ish when the game first came out, and it feels weird lol
  12. Kalderon Well-Known Member

If i´m happy or not, deppends on what will came up.... we barely know anything about it as of today oO We perhaps know the name, but not the game :p
  13. Xile Member

EQ Next sure has been the great mystery MMO for me.
    I admit I hadnt really been following it that closely.
    I played EQ2 for 6 or 7 years or so, the last year of which was just biding time for SWTOR.
    Even still, another year went by until TOR's release. But when it did, I spent about 14 months playing that game before finally calling it.

I called it because I ultimately concluded that BioWare is just too green with MMO design and maintenance.
    I had played other MMO's before and during EQ2 (Eve, Aion), but EQ2 is the one I put my real time into.
    Retrospectively, I think that's because it's filled with so much content for every style of play that it doesn't matter what my personal flavor-of-the-month activity is.
    I only left EQ2 because I had played it for so long that it was simply time for me to move on.

I miss many things about EQ2 that apparently I took for granted:
    * Housing and decoration
    * Properly implemented appearance armor and weapons
    * Live events
    * Holiday events
    * A tabbed journal with current and historical quest logging.
    * Adventure enabling crafting through subcrafts like tinkering
    * High quality character creation choices for nice looking avatars
    * Ingame macros
    * Mod support
    * A MicroTransactions market that offers items I'm actually interested in
    * A well designed broker search engine
    * Shared bank space
    * Alignment free guild membership
    * Customizable target markers for color blind players
    * Tiered difficulty group zones

Things I don't miss:
    * The RNG raid drop loot tables that can potentially never drop what you want no matter how many times you've proven you can beat the content and therefore deserve the reward. Fix this with accumulated tokens (that every raid member gets) used for purchase of your intended item. This also eliminates DKP, which is a real headache for guild officers in a variety of areas.
    * Single person failure conditions that can wipe an entire raid, resulting in finger pointing, guild division and ultimately breakup. There should always be variance for linkdeads and minor mistakes in an extended engagement.
    * Absurd raid boss tactics that require more staring at stopwatches than actual fighting. Are these ever fun? Seriously? Do you think these would ever occur in a real life (albeit fantasy based) fight? Fix this by never giving players 100% of every percentage based stat that ultimately requires this kind of raid design to create a "challenging" encounter. There is nothing wrong with never exceeding say 33% crit chance for the life of an MMO. Non% based stats are what should increase with level cap boosts.
    * 25 classes (should be 12 tops IMO).

For EQ Next:

I realize that a lot of stuff I mentioned came about after years of tinkering with EQ2. But TOR has signs/indicators that I've been closely observing that suggest that come 6 years from today, they'll maybe be at the halfway point of where EQ2 was at the equivalent time. And the main thing is that I know SOE knows about these features and likes them in EQ. Which means that I can say with reasonable assurance that even when I dont get them at launch, I know I will eventually get them. I have no such reassurance with BW who has never made an MMO before. I want that reassurance. I won't spend years playing a game and building resources while merely hoping. I could go over the list of bugs, blunders (support and ingame mechanics) and false promises that remain unfixed, unrefixed, unfulfilled or otherwise 14 months after launch, but the list is quite long and I don't wish to bore you any more than I already have. Needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting my next MMO in EQ Next.

I just hope they finally have Aion quality avatar hair!
    ShyMidnight and Humakt like this.
  14. kela Member

Well they did pritty much anounce at SoELive(Fan Faire) last year that Attendies at THIS years Fan Fair(SoELive) will be able to play with EQNext how much of it, we don't know, but he could be talking about that too.
  15. Feldon Well-Known Member

I'll post pics August 2nd or 3rd. Whenever they unveil it.
    Humakt likes this.
  16. kela Member

Could be the 1st at the Meet and Greet they had a couple anouncements at that event last year, including the Blowing up of prior EQN Screens.
  17. MoopShark New Member

18. Gilasil Active Member

Only six months of coding? For something the size of EQN I'd expect several years. Although they probably have periodic internal releases just to keep it managable. I agree that's the usual sequence of events at software companies I've worked for. Being on the inside of a few of those has made me a die hard Dilbert fan.

Nothing like getting your hands on a press release for the product you're working on and seeing no correspondence whatsoever between what you're working on and the description in the press release other then the name.

At this point THEY probably don't know when it will be in a releasable state. Hopefully they'll stay flexible and not let the marketing idiots declare a firm date when it will be released whether ieady or not, but that could very well happen. We can help by not throwing temper tantrums about how long it's taking.

My guess is that Smedley's cryptic command is about some sort of demo software. Perhaps like the character creation app they released a few months before EQ2 released.
  19. Kalmaraa Active Member

I would say it like this, as this usually holds true from SOE form what I have seen.

No dates officially released on there website, make it a rumor or pointless teasing, nothing else.

This oddly has saved me a ton of stress in the long run, and made my life a lot happier.