"Elemental Mastery" does not affect pet melee

Discussion in 'Conjuror' started by ARCHIVED-Xalmat, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

This has been broken since Sentinel's Fate beta, and has been repeatedly /bug reported.
    Elemental Mastery is supposed to boost the auto-attack damage of all pets, as posted by a developer during the Sentinel's Fate beta. However, this does not stack with the Pet Weapon Mastery AA.
  2. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Actually upon further testing on Test server, I can confirm that the melee aspect of "Elemental Mastery" doesn't even work at all, which goes contrary to what that developer said.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xalya Guest

Oh well, you have to see the bright side here. Nobody uses melee pets anyway :-/. Plus, why even bother /bugging things? Our offense stance has been broken for more than half a year now. Would take 5 minutes to do something about it. Nobody cares.
    Since were talking about the elemental mastery buff: Back when mage pets were even squishier than the conji the myth pet made a huge difference. We were actually able to play the game again. Nowadays, the myth pet might do a bit more damage on some levels, but all in all is not worth casting. Which means that all our myth does for us nowadays is 10% base damage and the nice, but not overly powerful inferno proc. Might be time to evaluate the buff, compared to other classes it is actually pretty weak and in no way class defining anymore.
  4. ARCHIVED-Woetohice Guest

I assume this refers to the line of the buff that reads: "Improves the damage of the Conjuror's pet."
    Is it only intended to boost the auto-attack damage? Does this particular thing affect the mage pet (when ranged) at all?
  5. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Gutsherren@Nagafen wrote:
    There's a difference between broken and useless. The Offense stance is not broken because it applies its buff correctly; it's useless because the buff has no use whatsoever on the mage pet.
    No offense, but you have no clue what you're talking about. Elemental Mastery buff on the mage pet makes a bigger difference for our DPS than the mythical pet does over an equal-level Master pet.
    Woetohice wrote:
    It buffs the spells and CAs of all pets just fine. That portion is not broken. It's the auto-attack portion that is.
  6. ARCHIVED-Xalya Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    Yes, the offensive stance is applying an icon, hurray. It also correctly decreases the pet's defense while not providing any (useful) bonuses. Arguing whether this should be considered useless or broken is splitting hairs, fact remains that there is currently no point in using this buff with the mage pet - unless you absolutely need the extra power, and i can't think of any encounters where you would since it does provide additional mana regeneration.
    Regarding the elemental mastery, unless i'm the exception of the rule, the damage bonus it provides amounts to pretty much exactly 10% - just as i wrote. And seeing that i'm not a native speaker i might have phrased that wrong, but what i said was that back in TSO, the myth pet redefined your entire game. You could solo tank heroics with your offense pet, you could take part in aoe-heavy raids again without the hassle of using bubble, you could actually pvp without your pet dying to an SKs unholy blessing (which was the most important thing for me anyway). Back then it was huge to get your myth, today it is still quite nice, but not class defining anymore.
  7. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

It's applying the INT correctly to the mage pet; that is, it increases its power pool. It also properly applies the haste and melee skill modifiers, which makes a difference for the scout and tank pet's hit rate and attack speed.
    It works fine (ere go, it's not broken). It's just useless for the mage pet.
    Is the scout pet or perhaps the tank pet useless? Sure. But that's not the point of this discussion.
    It's actually 17% more base spell damage, which is a larger amount than the difference between a level 80 Master mage pet and a level 80 Mythical pet (which was only about 12-14%). It also applies this 17% to the combat art damage of the tank and the scout pet, not just the mage pet.
    What does this have to do with it not applying additional auto-attack damage to the pet? Again, it was a developer that said it's supposed to boost the pet's auto-attack damage, and it's not doing so.
    The whole point of the Elemental Mastery buff is to untie us from the mythical pet (and the mythical weapon) in the first place, which while it served it's purpose in RoK and TSO is overall unhealthy for the class (and to mythicals in general, the whole game) in the long term. And the whole reason for boosting the pet's damage is to make up the difference in damage that came from going from a Master mage pet to the Mythical pet (otherwise we would only have personally boosted damage, which would in fact have gimped us compared to all other classes).
    Boosting the mage and scout pet's base HP to approximately the mythical pet's is part of that whole untieing, since those things would die to reactive damage had they not had their HP boosted. AoE blockers do not save your pet from reactive damage.
  8. ARCHIVED-Xalya Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    It is 10% for me, both when examining skills and parsing the pet against multiple heroic dummies.
    And i never said anything about the auto attack damage. I voiced my frustration regarding the uselessness of fighter and scout pet in the context of this post and furthermore asked for the buff to be reexamined as a whole.
    As for the rest of the posting, you keep telling me things i explicitly stated before, e.g. the pet gaining power from the offense buff or the pet dieing to reactives. Along with the fact that you insist i 'don't have a clue' because of some claim i never made, i don't really see a point in continuing this discussion.
  9. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Try examining the pet's base damage without gear and AAs affecting it. It makes a difference in your numbers.

As an example: Suppose you have a spell that does 100 damage. You increase the potency of the spell by 10%. What's your new damage, and what's the damage difference?
    100 x 1.1 = 110, difference is 10 damage, 10% (110 divided by 100 = 1.1)
    Now suppose you add 25 ability mod. What's the difference now? It depends how you calculate it.
    100 x 1.1 + 25 = 110 + 25 = 135. Difference is still 10 damage, but now only 8% difference (135 divided by 125 = 1.08). Either way the base damage is still 10% more.