Elemental Channeling

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Conifur, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Conifur Well-Known Member

Ok, what does this level 11 Ascension spell do? Seems worthless with a 17 second duration and a 5:40 minute recast.
  2. Kioske Well-Known Member

It's worthless if you're a warlock elementalist.. that's for sure
  3. Arieva Well-Known Member

Have any conjurors tested if it actually works with abilities that are pet based..IE swarms? Blazing avatar...etc.Stuck with a bugged quest atm.

It seems on paper to be really only useful to a few..very few specific classes which seems..sad. As is we are already the ascension class that without a jewelry bonus have a completely useless ascension (bulwark of rime) and even with the bonus that ability is extremely fight specific. Now we have an extremely situational level 11 ability too? How bout we give that type of ability to etherealists since they already have the most dps of any ascension and show the other ascensions some love.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

wizard, conjy, druid... for the rest this ability is essentially worthless
  5. Beee Well-Known Member

As mentioned on Discord: Elemental Channeling DOES NOT transfer to pets.

BTW: I do not understand why they did not simply use the regular fervor mechanism which works fine
  6. Ingerimm Well-Known Member

I find the Level 11 Ascension skills all ok.

Each is to be used with understanding, none seems overpowering and none too weak.

All these abilities are bound to certain conditions and must be cunningly integrated into the cast sequence for their maximum impact.

On Grandmaster 32 fervor for 30+ seconds for all naturally elementary based abilities is a strong short term boost.

At 40,000 potency, 1 fervor is roughly equivalent to 400 potency and thus it is a boost of 12800 potency for over 30 seconds.

At 50,000 potency, 1 fervor is roughly equivalent to 500 potency and thus it is a boost of 16000 potency for over 30 seconds.

A good combination is a surge of ethermancy + scorched earth with a run time of 24 seconds, combined with the orange improvement rune "Flash Fire" and for caster e.g. "Band of the Infinite" and the "Elemental Channeling". In addition, you can use all other ascensions in this time with the boost, the time is sufficient for this. There is a strong boost used correctly.

@Beee
    It is thought to boost the ascension class and not as a boost of the normal class abilities, that this may be added as a bonus for some normal classes is ok, but a self-buff does not raise any claim that this must also affect your pets. Because your pets are not You self.
  7. Beee Well-Known Member

An new powerfull ability witch does not share with the pet is crap.

The reason is the mechanic: A lot of spells are calculated with the stats of the pets and if it does not share, these calculations are crap

BTW 1 fervor ~ 200 Potency on the gear (at actual high end)
  8. Ingerimm Well-Known Member

Why should this ability give a normal class elementalist an advantage over all other nominal classes, although this is actually only intended for the reinforcement ascension class elementalist? Why should this affect your normal class elementalist pets?

As far as the fervor is concerned you are wrong, this is relatively easy to calculate abstract and also to test.

Base 10
    Pot 1k = 10 * 10 + 10 = 110
    Pot 10k = 10 * 100 + 10 = 1010
    Pot 20k = 10 * 200 + 10 = 2010
    Pot 30k = 10 * 300 + 10 = 3010
    Pot 40k = 10 * 400 + 10 = 4010
    Pot 50k = 10 * 500 + 10 = 5010

Base 10 on Fervor 1 = 10 * 1,01 = 10,1

Pot 1k on 1 Fervor = 10 * 10 + 10 = 110 * 1,01 = 111,1
    Pot 1,5k on 0 Fervor = 10 * 15 + 10 = 160 * 1,00 = 160,0
    Pot 1k on 10 Fervor = 10 * 10 + 10 = 110 * 1,10 = 121,0

Pot 10k on 1 Fervor = 10 * 100 + 10 = 1010 * 1,01 = 1020,1
    Pot 10k on 10 Fervor = 10 * 100 + 10 = 1010 * 1,10 = 1111,0

Pot 20k on 1 Fervor = 10 * 200 + 10 = 2010 * 1,01 = 2030,1
    Pot 20,5k on 0 Fervor = 10 * 205 + 10 = 2060,0
    Pot 20k on 10 Fervor = 10 * 200 + 10 = 2010 * 1,10 = 2211,0

Pot 22k on 8 Fervor = 10 * 220 + 10 = 2210 * 1,08 = 2386,8
    Pot 22,5k on 0 Fervor = 10 * 225 + 10 = 2260,0

Pot 30k on 1 Fervor = 10 * 300 + 10 = 3010 * 1,01 = 3040,1
    Pot 30,3k on 0 Fervor = 10 * 303 + 10 = 3040,0
    Pot 30k on 10 Fervor = 10 * 300 + 10 = 3010 * 1,10 = 3311,0

Pot 40k on 1 Fervor = 10 * 400 + 10 = 4010 * 1,01 = 4050,1
    Pot 40,4k on 0 Fervor = 10 * 404 + 10 = 4050,0
    Pot 40,5k on 0 Fervor = 10 * 405 + 10 = 4060,0
    Pot 40k on 10 Fervor = 10 * 400 + 10 = 4010 * 1,10 = 4411,0

Pot 50k on 1 Fervor = 10 * 500 + 10 = 5010 * 1,01 = 5060,1
    Pot 50,5k on 0 Fervor = 10 * 505 + 10 = 5060,0
    Pot 50k on 10 Fervor = 10 * 500 + 10 = 5010 * 1,10 = 5511,0

I hope this can follow the simplified abstract calculation as an example, for more I have no time at the moment.
  9. Beee Well-Known Member

Special for Ingerimm: At 150 Fervor / 50k Potency / 50 Deity in Pot: 1 Fervor is equal or a little bit less than 200 Pot on an Item (or 300 Pot output with deity multiplicator)

But back to topic: Elemental Channeling really only improves the Ascension abilities, So it's no need to transfer to the pets It limites the functionallity. Hopefully it's not used in the fervor cap calculation - which hardly can be tested
  10. Uncle Active Member

Elemental Channeling dose not i repeat doses not effect ascension abilities.. only your combat arts/spells that was elemental based and imho it needs to be changed to effect ascesions or changed to help classes that choose elementalist.cause i know im not a happy camper for my brig atm cause it dosent effect anything of his and would have to change to another ascesion to get a useful level 11 ability

Uncle
  11. Arieva Well-Known Member

Agree with Uncle..while I have not spent a lot of time with the ability myself yet due to a bugged quest the term profession abilities means original class abilities. You folks arguing about how good it is for ascensions either never properly tested it..or its bugged and effecting them.

If the ability doesnt work on pet based abilities that do elemental damage which I seriously doubt it will because these things rarely do..there are maybe 2 abilities on a conj it should work with. So pretty horrible. The only class I can think of being truly excited about this one is wizards. And yet raids need several elementalists to keep the mobs debuffed to be killable. So here we sit with yet another ascension more or less not worth the cast time. It has a spot next to bulwark of rime since as a non tank class I get more out of an increased potency piece than the reflect item bonus.
    Beee and Uncle like this.
  12. Beee Well-Known Member

Because of the long recast Elemental Channeling is hard to test.

Reduced base Fervor 45 - so a rise by 25 of Elemental Channeling should result in a spell Output benefit of 15%

Spellorder:
    Elemental Channeling (if up)
    Scorced Earth
    Wildfire
    Elemental Amalgation
    Frozen Heavens
    Fiery Annihilation
    Elemental Toxicity

It seems to have a small influence on Ascencion spells, but not 15%, more like 1.5% but this might be a debuff or other random effect
    Same influence can be watched on regular spells (like Fire Annihlation, Elemental Toxicity)

Overall - tested over a whole night - Daybreak should have a closer look on Elemental Channeling. It's not working like the tooltip says, nor does it a real measurable benefit to conjurer spells. It does not transfer to pets (so it has no infuence on Elemental Blast too)

Overall at least for conjurer: Actual it's a wasted hotkey :eek:
  13. Mark John Member

I concur with your testing Beee. In raid, I can demonstrate no discernible increase of dps for any spells at all, and of course not for the conj pet either.

In fact, given the long cast time, it appears it should never be cast at all since you could at least cast something useful during that period.

Meanwhile, I did notice that the Thaumaturgist level 11 is parsing a clearly evident (on ACT) 200-300 million dps on longer duration fights like Setri.
    Beee likes this.
  14. Mark John Member

So we have seen this mechanism before.
    It works like this:

In a prior post I mentioned the huge amount of damage that Thaumaturgist have demonstrated on parses with level 11 ascension. Clearly measurable on ACT and catapulting two players I know of to the top of the parse.

Of course there is a bit more to the story. Because of the power of this spell, both players in question immediately paid to have this spell advanced to GM level.

Now it is clear that this strategy has been employed before in other ascension classes: massive DPS gain to those willing to invest real $$ to GM spells that were temporarily very overpowered. Then most likely, the spells will be 'balanced' or 'adjusted' after the revenue stream has diminished, to merely repeat again.

Thanks for making my wavering decision of the next Xpac more clear.

I am NOT going to be chasing DPS carrots for hundreds of dollars to be competitive within a top-end raiding guild. I am going to cancel my 5 accounts (2 for me, 2 for spouse, and one for kids) and find a better game to play.
  15. Sounson Active Member

I tested it just now using the monk epic 2.0 spell that makes everything hit for maximum damage to try and establish normality, and sure enough the Elemental Channeling did not effect ascensions at all. I had Wildfire and Glacial Freeze hits for almost the exact same amounts: [IMG]

Edit: My elemental channeling is at master, so 30.4 fervor.
    Beee and Uncle like this.
  16. Uncle Active Member

yup the discription correct about professional abilities... which needs changed cuase as it stands now alot of ppl are gonna have to swap ascesion to bet a benifical level 11 ability or just dont bother using it
  17. Sounson Active Member

Hell, right after that I tested it with Dragonfire which is a heat damage profession ability, which was harder to test because it is a dot, but it wasn't noticeable on that as well. I'm not totally convinced this spell is working at all.
    Beee likes this.
  18. Arieva Well-Known Member

Based on my testing it seems to work for conjuror on such spells as Blazing Avatar, Fireseed, Elemental Unity..which was a pleasant surprise since these focus the damage through our pet. In addition fiery annhilation, ice storm and winds of velious work as expected. Doesnt seem to effect swarms at all which is dissappointing but not entirely unexpected.

But as others pointed out the amount of dps increase even for a conjuror that has that many spells effected is going to be negligible when we're already sitting at 130 fervor and these profession abilities arent our hardest hitters.

Thaums needed a really good ability added to their skill set so good for them. If I were any of the classes that had near nothing available for the elementalist level 11 ability Id be furious right now and even as one of the few that benefit most from it Im not impressed. Specially considering so many of the elementalist abilities are made useful ONLY by item bonuses that have since been left behind
  19. Beee Well-Known Member

And because of the limitation of ONE LV 11 ascension class (Yes actual it's impossible to get a second one to lv 11) at least I'm feeling like passed the buck
  20. Earar Well-Known Member

what do u mean it's impossible to get a second lvl 11 class ? u cannot level them mannually ? or grindingly ?

the other classes just stick at 100% in lvl 10 and u can't talk to the trainer to get lvl 11 ?