Easily Save And Load Hotkeys For Mentoring!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Isengrim, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Barq Bandit Guest

thanks to your post, Arcanya, i figured out a way to get around the problem with macros not loading correctly. the solution is as simple as opening the .dat files in Notepad, and removing all referrences to them. the .dat files only tell the game UI what buttons to change, so if the buttons with the macros on them aren't mentioned in any of your hotbar presets, they aren't ever changed.

and now this trick is gonna get some serious use from me! finally! a way to instantly switch from all out adventuring to all out tradeskilling with the click of a button! woohoo! LOADS of hotbar bank space saved!
  2. ARCHIVED-wilsonqc Guest

Is there then a place where a comprehensive list of available commands that are deemed stable is published? I would hope that user friendliness should not get in the way of that information beingmade available!

Faer
    Befallen
  3. ARCHIVED-ScottAdams Guest

Many thanks! Great service to the community.
  4. ARCHIVED-Azilarir Guest

I appreciate the kudos and glad you enjoy. :)
  5. ARCHIVED-Donellwyn Guest

yeah, discovered that later. however, the icons all being set to the default EQ logo icon still renders them useless. and you can't simply edit them either. it doesn't let you. i have entire tool bars filled with macros, one for emotes i use often and another for common UI task that i like something clickable for, instead of typing a slash command or pressing mapped keys on the keyboard. disabled the mapped keys because half the time i'd fail to press enter before chating, and we all know what happens then. you start tying, and a bajillion windows suddenly cover your screen as you hit every mapped key on the board within seconds. [IMG] i hated that.

Actually there is a button that if you click it will scroll through about 29 different icons. I use the peeps for my macro to /invite my family to group with me.
  6. ARCHIVED-Barq Bandit Guest

he knows this. he's saying that using this /loadhotkeys command changes all those icons he selected for those macro buttons to the EQII logo button, and renders the macro crippled so you have to redrag them to the hotbars out of your macros. but like i said earlier, preventing this command from goofing with your macro buttons is as easy as using the /savehotkeys command and then opening the resulting .dat file with Notepad and removing all the lines that refer to those macro buttons. (they say "macro" in their lines.) it's super easy, and i've already put it to great use.
  7. ARCHIVED-ShashLigai Guest

SOE should fix this, now that the users have identified the problems and the fixes.
  8. ARCHIVED-sliderhouserules Guest

You can also omit the zero and just have spell (with a space after it) to clear a button.

0 0 spell
    Message Edited by sliderhouserules on 08-24-2005 05:41 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-TheDawsonator Guest

hmmmmm .......
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    Have I got this right when I think that all you are doing is loading an array of commands to match the keystrokes "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,-,=" ?? :smileyindifferent:
    If this is the case .... why don't you just preload the existing command bars, there is 10 of them.
    As I said ..... correct me if I am wrong
    Dawsonator - lvl 29 Gaurdian
    Greldig - lvl 9 Adventurer
    <Angelfyre>

<Innothule>
  10. ARCHIVED-Barq Bandit Guest

you're way off. we're discussing the use of the command "/savehotkeys" and the .dat file it creates. this command frees us from the 10 hotkey-bank limitation, allowing players to instantly switch between various setups for crafting or mentoring.

a person who likes to mentor, for example, could set up custom hotbars for any level he thinks he's likely to mentor to ahead of time. the moment the request to mentor comes up, he could click a hotkey button, mentor down to where he needs to be, and all his hotbars will have switched to only those spells and combat arts that he can use at that level.

crafters who use many different tables and like to have many different recipes dragged directly onto their hotbars for quick access can set up hotbar presets to instantly switch to the reaction icons they need for a particular table, as well as all the most commonly used recipes for that table. they could even set them up by tier as well, if they often do work in different tiers.
  11. ARCHIVED-Barq Bandit Guest

also discovered this little gem:

/clear_hotkey_bank #

useful for placing in the first line of macros you're using to load hotkey banks and want to wipe the bank clean before loading the new bank. tested it just now, and it works perfectly. no mucking about with spell 0 unless you're sticking macros on the hotbars you're trying to swap out.
  12. ARCHIVED-Aenashi Guest

this is what i also recommend.. save your hotkeys at each lvl for easy mentoring. just name them ass20.dat or rng55.dat and later down the line you can easily just pull up which you need. with the orginal poster's tips i have saved each lvl of mentoring as i go and its very painfree to mentor

cept for my freakin poisons! >< get knocked off each time lol
  13. ARCHIVED-Aenashi Guest

sooo much work down the drain now..getting hotkeys set up for EVERY lvl on 2 characters.... HOURS of work... ;p

SUCKS!!!!

I set hotkeys for each lvl and named the dats so i can load them easily.. and now they do this....

.|..
  14. ARCHIVED-Alazard Guest

Well, IMO this change is a great one... but don't be too quick to dismiss all your hard work. It could very well be that you gain maximum benefit from using your level appropriate spells while mentoring.
  15. ARCHIVED-TheSkarKrow Guest

Ok, from what I have read this is great, and thank you to all who posted the info.

I find my self mentoring more now and this would benifit me greatly.

What I would like to see/request is a step by step process for doing this for those of us who are:

a. Not computer savvy
    b. Find all the info in above said posts confusing
    c. A noob
    d. [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] (Mentally Handicaped for the PC)
    e. All the above

If someone takes it upon themselves to fullfill my request you would have my most profound thanks.:smileyvery-happy:

Remember, be safe, be merry, and have a most excellent adventure.
  16. ARCHIVED-Aenashi Guest

SOE has this in testing in LU 19. It will automatically scale downyour skills for you. Just for you! arent you lucky??
  17. ARCHIVED-TheSkarKrow Guest

That is great to hear, thanks for the info ihateforumnnames.
  18. ARCHIVED-Dynno Guest

They must have taken this command out :( I wanted to play my sons Wizard on his acct but can not make head or tails of his logic for his key lay out. So wanted to save his, Make mine save mine for easy swapping when I need to play him. I tried to save the .DAT file but can not find it where I saved it :(