Drag and drop to replace bags in inventory broken?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Aeriel, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Aeriel Active Member

The nifty feature whereby you could replace smaller bags with larger bags (or boxes) by dragging and dropping the larger bag over the smaller bag in your inventory appears to be broken.

For example: I have a bristled leather backpack in slot 6 in my inventory (36 slots). I pick up an empty metallic reptile hide backpack (48 slots) from a bag in my shared bank. Drag it over to the bristled leather backpack in the inventory, background goes green, drop metallic hide backpack and instead of replacing the bristled backpack and transferring the contents it drops into an empty slot in the bristled back pack. Try the same exercise with a bristled backpack in slot 5 which is full. I get a red message to say "You cannot store this item in the shared bank" (this message does not make sense as I am not attempting to swap the bags!). I put the metallic hide backpack in the bag in slot 6. Drag it over the full bag in slot 5 - message reads "That bag is full".

Please please fix!

Aeriel
  2. Endymion Developer

We'll get a fix in for this; the previous logic for bag swapping was a little too friendly and allowed, for example, a bank-only bag to be swapped into a main inventory slot, which caused things to get a little wonky when logging out and back in (stuff would end up in your overflow when the game realized the bag wasn't supposed to be there). Unfortunately the logic I put in to prevent that is a bit too harsh. :) Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Finora like this.
  3. Nebula Member

Yes, the previous method, drag new bag and drop over icon of old bag was great. I miss it.
    However, there is a workaround while they get that fixed:

• Take new bag. Put it in an empty slot (if you don't have an empty slot, you'll just have to make one by shifting stuff around :p)
    • Open new bag, so you can see all the empty inventory space inside it.
    • Grab icon of old bag. Drag n drop that icon onto a free space inside the open new bag.
    • All of the items in the old bag will now transfer to the new bag.
    • You can keep doing this until you fill up the new bag. So if you have a new bag that is twice the size of two old bags, you can dump their contents into the new bag just by repeating the process.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Aeriel Active Member

Thanks Endymion for the explanation :) . Thanks too Nebula for the workaround - I didn't think to try that (but then my bag discipline is not the greatest and most of my toons have no spare vacant slots!)

Aeriel
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Tkia Well-Known Member

They'd better not fix that. The change to having to drag to an open bag instead of a closed bag icon was a fix in itself to restore bag swapping functionality that they had lost in the update.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks for that explanation! I'd always wondered about that; was driving me crazy when I hadn't heard anything about bag changes at all...then I heard about pouring, swapping, sorting, and all that, and figured it was just some new-fangled hooey that wouldn't work worth a darn... :-X

Uwk
    shaking an Old Fogey cane in palsied rage, while half-buried in an old easy chair
  7. Avianna Well-Known Member

I wish the "sorting" was stuck to the bag slot rather than the bag itself that way if i do switch out a bag into my bank or the like I do not have to reconfigure my sorting on the toon. Just my 2c
    Alenna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Galldora Well-Known Member

I have a bag right now that, if you hold a cursor over it, shows as being completely full of items. However, the bag is actually empty and the items from that bag are in another container in my inventory. I noticed this when I got a message that my inventory was overflowing, although I knew I had an empty bag.. The bag is recognized as full by auto-inventory and no items can be placed in it. I was able to place the bag inside of another bag, but if I hover the cursor over the bag, it still shows up as being full. Maybe this bug is related to the bag swapping issue?
    Alenna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

More than likely. :-/

I noticed the bag pouring, that I'd just gotten used to, was broken a while back and just went with it, doing things the old-fashioned way, but so far (knock on wood), I haven't had anything major hit like this. :-/

Uwk
    who first noticed bags being skipped over that weren't marked as such...hmm...