DPS Monk

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Jolemai, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jolemai Active Member

I am considering a DPS only spec for my Monk. While I know that a regular DPS class will do a better job I'm not in a position to get one yet so this is my temporary solution.

I have been recommended this spec:

Beetny DPS spec

and I would like your opinions on how to improve it as it looks a little off. Also, what should I be looking for statwise other than the obvious of 410 CC, 65k HP, etc in CoE easy mode gear?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Silzin Active Member

i would have to say .... do not follow that spec for dps or tanking... it is not a good aa spec for anything. next, the problem with making a pure dps spec for a monk is there are to many AA points and not enough AA options so u will need to take a lot of tanking options.

I do not recommend you making your monk into a just dps tank, you will not be taken seriously. If i was to go for a dps centric AA build for a monk i would do something like this.

DPS monk Spec

If you are going more tanking, Reprimand is a good taunt if you need it. and Unrivaled Focus is a must for any hard tanking or raiding.
  3. Bchizzle Active Member

Both specs here are bad suggestions for a DPS only build. The first person went eagles line totally ignoring the fact that cranetwirl is one of a monks biggest offensive abilities. The second person didn't even go double conversion. It is perfectly fine to run all DPS as most content in this game doesn't need a more defensive spec, but for sure have a mirror for when you need to be a bit tougher.
  4. Silzin Active Member

i found that under the right situation (Reckless from behind) the right side gives a lot more dps the double conversion. most of the time if you have to tank some double conversion will win tho.
  5. Saphirewind New Member

If you insist on trying to do a strictly DPS monk, I would recommend

DPS Monk Build

Run it in Reckless and set up your hotbars so you have 3 sets of CAs to set off Combination. Really though, Monks are tanks, and even while tanking we can do some fairly respectable DPS. Why would you want to limit yourself to just a DPS role?
  6. Bchizzle Active Member

Every monk should have a DPS spec, a hybrid spec and a turtle spec. Hell you could even have a pvp spec as well. Just use the mirror to make sure you are in the most appropriate spec.
  7. Tylandus Member

Silzin....any chance I know you?
  8. Silzin Active Member

I was a raid leader of a raid alliance on LDL before its merger with Crushbone. the alliance was called Expedition.

All of my characters have ether been on LCL or CB.
  9. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

I maintain a "Standard" AA spec, which is my normal, day-to-day spec that is tailored to my preferences and needs, as well as a "Turtle" spec for raid tanking. I find that we don't have a significant number of DPS-centric AAs that are really worth sacrificing our good tanking AAs to obtain, so I no longer bother with a "pure DPS" spec. As your gear improves, options begin to open up due to capping certain stats you used to spec for (like the ability reuse speed from Ambidexterity, as an example).

The major differences between my main spec and my "turtle" spec are basically in taunts and snaps. I don't find myself needing all of my snaps in most situations, so I don't have a lot of points into Rescue reuse, but in my raid tanking spec I make sure to keep that one as high as needed to reach the reuse cap. I also have sufficient DPS to hold aggro in most situations without needing to use many taunts, so I don't have points to improve them in my day-to-day spec, while I do in my tanking spec. Basically, my average spec makes compromises for my own preferences and playstyle, while my "raid" spec is a no-nonsense, hardcore tanking spec that assumes I will need every ounce of threat and survivability I can get.

I don't necessarily recommend my AA spec for just anybody, because as I mentioned, I have made certain compromises for my own preferences, but that is the beauty of AAs. The more you play your character and experiment with different setups and abilities, the more you learn what does and doesn't work for you. Just keep in mind that it's important to know how things work and how to best use them before you move on, otherwise you may miss out on good abilities that you simply never learned to employ properly. For example, many newbies overlook Mantis Bolt, since it doesn't seem all that flashy, even though its one of our best DPS abilities.

Remember: all the advice in the world can't beat testing something for yourself. If in doubt, parse!
  10. Ebofu Active Member

Right side is better if not tanking (bonus flanking damage), double conversion is better for tanking.
    Outside of prestige, there's very little to no difference between so-called "turtle/hybrid/dps" specs.