Does SOE have any plans to optimize EQ2?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Drendor, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Poisinivy Member

yep they sure do :) they have had plans to do this for 9 years now
  2. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Before you write a guide, you may want investigate a few things.

As another poster said, EQ2 was not designed with the knowledge of multicore CPUs, or powerful / multiple GPUs. You brought up RAM, which is going to be low down on the problem list for any PC built with a semblance of balance. It is easy & cheap to get more than enough RAM to run the operating system + EQ2. RAM has only ever been a factor for people who have disproportionately spec'd PCs

As far as EQ2 is concerned, the ability to transfer information In and Out of a single core of a CPU, is the single biggest factor. It is far from a conclusive check for a whole system, but as far as CPU's go, you can get a pretty good idea of how well a CPU can handle EQ2, by checking this site:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    And divide the processor score by the # of cores. (the tests run software that takes advantage of multiple cores, while EQ2 does not)

In this day and age, anyone trying to run with 4GB of RAM or under, is going to have problems with much more than just EQ2. Anyone running a 32 bit O/S is in a similar position. To help illustrate the point, I would love it if the old 386 rig down in the shed could run EQ2 like a dream... But times move on, and I will not act all offended because it can't run EQ2 in 2013.
  3. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Another part of the game that has been fixed in some areas, but not in others, is that some of the shapes you see actually have a surprisingly high number of polygons. (I was talking to one of the designers at SOE Live 2012, and he admitted that as being one of the problems, especially with the older zones that haven't been revamped yet. It turns out that the zone artists back then, instead of using textures to give the appearance of variable depth on objects, actually created the objects with variable depths upon their surface - which increased the polygon count immensely. This is simplifying things somewhat, but polygon count and frame rate are roughly inversely proportionate. IOW, generally speaking, the higher the polygon count is, the lower the frame rate.)