Does race matter that much?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ARCHIVED-miralmagus, Nov 17, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-miralmagus Guest

I want to make a paladin, but i want it to be a highelf. Will I be totaly nerfed if i go high elf ? Or i should i stick with my half elf alternative choice? Some advice would be great.
  2. ARCHIVED-Ajantiss Guest

It has been stated numerous times that at in the high end game, race does not matter.
  3. ARCHIVED-Kriterian Guest

I'd go even further and say "stats don't matter". You'll have so much equipment capping your skills it won't matter what race you play, it's all about the archtypes.
  4. ARCHIVED-jeffm Guest

I'm a High Elf Crusader heading to Paladin. I had the same concerns before launch, made my guy anyway and have been happy ever since. I'm presently at over 30 str and am usually the biggest damage dealer in groups from my guild. Go for it!!!
  5. ARCHIVED-FluffyDoomBunny Guest

I am playing a DE Crusader to become a Paladin and so far I have had no problems tanking at all. Yeah I die sometimes but very rarely in groups and have little trouble holding mobs on me while everyone else pounds away and my ward absorbs damage.

Karron Mourningblade -> level 16 DE Crusader, Steamfont
  6. ARCHIVED-RioRio Guest

I do believe race does not really matter much. As they have designed the game so that whatever choice you make in the first month won't ruin your game when you are at higher levels. I am a wood elf crusader. I am having zero combat problems. Also I am having fun. That being the more important part. :smileyhappy:
  7. ARCHIVED-Akoa Guest

/bitterness on

It only matters if you want to be a Froglok, since you can't be one now.

/bitterness off

Sorry about that....
  8. ARCHIVED-DarganDivine Guest

I am a frim believer that race does not matter, but any given day go out and type /w warrior and all you will see is barbs, dwarves trolls and orges, seems people would rather have sta then be what they really want
  9. ARCHIVED-Oxboy555 Guest

Aren't some races naturally weaker, thus affecting the type of armor they can wear? Perhaps it's just class based on not racial, but could a Erudite paladin wear the same type armor as a Kerran paladin?
  10. ARCHIVED-Ajantiss Guest

Race doesn't define what kind of armor you can wear, archetype/class/subclass does. Since this is just a game, realism for who can wear what kind of armor from a logical standpoint doesn't apply here.
  11. ARCHIVED-BustaGrinds865 Guest

No, it will not nerf your character. As SOE stated, every stat has advantages to every class. More agility = more times you hit and avoid being hit. So if you have low stamina and high agility, you will make up for the HP by not being hit. And lower damage will be made up with hitting the target more often.

However, if you want to tweak stats in particular, race will matter of course. If you want to be the highest HP in the game, troll. Some will come close, such as ogres, which will have 5 less stamina if both troll and ogre are built the same. Unless of course the racial traits gained at L18 differ. Some stats arent offered.

Overall, don't worry about it. Where you're lacking in agility, make up for it with traits if you are a scout.

I've seen Ratonga warriors and crusaders do great! I was amazed at that because they have 10 starting strength and 15 starting stamina - which are the worst stats possible for fighters.
  12. ARCHIVED-Bladezilla Guest

Nope.

- Valcutio Phoenix / Bladezilla Killa -
  13. ARCHIVED-RioRio Guest

Race is about flavor in this game. You can not **** yourself by picking a so called wrong race. There really is no wrong race. Equipment will rule this game.