Do Monks Make Good Tanks?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-ede77220, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-GangsterFist Guest

Yeah, but this is not EQ 1. Also, what happens when you fight mobs that ignore mitigation? I am willing to be there are some mobs that totally ignore armor. Plus when you have a guardian and a pally intervine on monk, it gives them mitigation practically. So, take the monks high avoidance into account (its the highest in the game) and then add in mitigation from the heavy tank. On top of all that use shammy wards on the monk. The monk also has more DPS. So, really everything comes into being factored. The reason I didn't want to discuss mitigation vs avoidance is because no one can agree on anything, and the dev's will not confirm any player ideas. So, honestly, we can only guess how it truely work, and not totally know 100%.
  2. ARCHIVED-Neimhidh Guest

Teh greatest monk tank advocate in all the lands hates tanking!!!!!!!!
  3. ARCHIVED-mortem Guest

wow talk about dredging up something from the past :smileyvery-happy:
  4. ARCHIVED-Neimhidh Guest

eh, this tank debate has been going on forever. But now that we are almost as good as guardians at tanking, a lot of people are mad because their /godmode is gone.
  5. ARCHIVED-Lintrix Guest

/agree

they are mad only beacuse they are so used to tanking all the [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] time.

I don't mind tanking, but if there is a tin man in my group, i'd let them tank so that i can help the group dish a little more dps out. It really depends on what you are fighting.
  6. ARCHIVED-ShashLigai Guest

ede7720 wrote:
    I did not play EQ1 and was not in beta for EQ2, so I have no point of reference to this question. I was thinking about trying out the Monk class but I'm not sure if they are a viable tank. I am interested in a damage dealing tank class so I'm wondering if Monks fit that bill. I was also looking at the Guardian class but again I don't know enough about the types of tanks out there. Can a Monk character with previous experience please let me know. Thank you in advance.
    [/QUOTE]

actually, the only thing monks are good for is posting in forums.. ;)
  7. ARCHIVED-Poochymama p Guest

actually, the only thing monks are good for is posting in forums.. ;)

[/QUOTE]
    Wow Gaige I cant believe you said that man :smileyvery-happy:
  8. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Yeah well, it was a long time ago.
  9. ARCHIVED-Cuz Guest

Hihihi fanboi. Grats on the new tittle gaige.
  10. ARCHIVED-ToonArmy Guest

With all due respect, the comments regarding that guardians are upset that they have lost '/godmode' and are whining just because other classes can tank are a lazy generalisation and at best, just plain ignorant.

I for one, applaud the concept that all the fighter classes should be able to step to the plate and tank a raid, a mob, or a group encounter as well as one another. That should be a benefit to us all in the game as a whole. However, after LU13 guardians pretty much logged in to find alot of their CA's rendered pretty much useless, tower shields of no benefit and a game that is a lot harder to play solo-ing (and by that I do not mean heroic mobs either). To cut a long story short, most guardians aren't upset that they've lost the 'monopoly' on tanking; they just feel cheated that the game has changed in such a manner since LU13 that a guardian just isn't as much fun to play anymore. And re-rolling may not really be an option for some people...

I'm glad that monks, bruisers and other fighter classes should now be on a level playing field with regards to tanking. But I would like to see SOE being a little more pro-active in fine-tuning the overall 'balance' (without nerfs) between the fighter sub-classes; guardians and paladins could do with a little love, for example.

Not flaming; just trying to clear up what appears to be a misunderstanding by some.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kazora Guest

nvm, like 10 people said the sam ething already
    Message Edited by rozakk on 11-09-200512:32 AM
    Message Edited by rozakk on 11-09-2005 12:32 AM
  12. ARCHIVED-Kaleyen Guest

For some strange reason when I'm in a group with Guardians and Zerkers I'm always tanking. It's like...

Healer- "Ok, who's tanking between the two of you"
    Guardian- "Doesn't matter to me, but shouldn't the Monk tank?"
    Zerker- "Doesn't matter to me either, but Monks can hold agro the best"
    Me- "I'm fragile"
    Guardian- "Yeah, Kulil should tank"
    Healer- "Ummm..."
    Me- "I'm fragile"
    Guardian- "Ok, I'm ready for pull"
    Zerker- "Me too, ready for pull"
    Me- "I'm fragile..."