Disarming traps needs serious serious help Devs

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Winzen-Stormz, Nov 17, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Tsoth Guest

Concure, this has not been fixed. Almost died twice, did 6 chests and only one success, I did gain 2 points but I'm at a 70 skill (mostly from killing MANY badgers). Chests being the second most leathal thing in the game is just wrong :(
  2. ARCHIVED-Kinluil Guest

I think the problem has to do with the player. It seems some people havent had any problems with disarm. I've seen a fair amount of Chests, and I used to disarm them without any problems. But as I got higher in level, (around 15 or 16 Pred) It got worse, right now I think my skill is about 82/105 as a 20 Ranger, and a chest drops off an even mob, I have no chance of disarming it. As an example today, took 728 dmg from the trap, died. Didnt have a chance. Now lower level chests, I can disarm without a hitch, but when it comes to anything even...I tell my group to step back about 100 paces.

(On a side not my disarm skill goes up every time I attempt to disarm a chest.)

Kinluil takes 728 damage from a trapped chest.
    You have died
    Your disarm skill improves (78)

Message Edited by Kinluil on 12-02-2004 06:21 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Bozack Guest

Telling your group to back up will do no good. The chest damage hits everyone in the group, regardless of where they are. I've had groupmates take damage on the completely other side of Thundering Steppes when I fail a disarm.

And I agree with this thread, disarm is primarily useless beyond level 15 or so. I successfully disarm a trap about once every 20 tries. The rest of the time, the tank might as well open the chest.
  4. ARCHIVED-Janaem Guest

I am not sure if they recently stealth patched disarm trap or not, but for the last week or so I have been seeing far more successes in disarming traps. I am now lvl 21, my disarm skill is around 80, and I have been succeeding on over 3/4's of my attempts.

Additionally, one way I have minimized the impact of the disarm trap inconsistency is to always wait until the entire party is full health before attempting the disarm. When I do that, no party member has died. I used to only wait until the party was all close to full health, but I changed that procedure when I blew up a trap and died because I only had 560 of my 590 health and the trap decided to blow up for 585 pts of damage.
  5. ARCHIVED-Fouxy Guest

23 days later and I'm still failing disarms probably 90+% of the time. I have gotten a few skill ups, but... again. It just feels like it's not much different than anyone else opening up a chest in the group. It's kinda embarassing to request that the scout get to open the chests, need the skill ups, have the skill etc. and then have nearly every one of them blow up, often damaging the rest of the party.

I'll keep at it though...
  6. ARCHIVED-Ravi Guest

Yeah it was definately stealth patched. I have noticed a huge change, not only in success rates, but skill ups.

I think its finally fixed. Now everyone just needs to play catchup.
  7. ARCHIVED-Neecha Guest

Nothing is patched just luck on skills when they go up every single time you use the skill it has a chance to go up its like mining you can mine 10 rock get no increase in skill then get 3 in a row..

I found that from
    1-15 i had no problems with chests..
    15-22 had a few blow up had about 40% disarm rate
    22-25 100 % sucess
    25 -26 hunting in RoV (Chests from level 32 mobs) blew up a lot
    27 on 100 % sucess rate on 32 mob drop chests..

All way thru my skill has been maxed..

I think its based on Agility and Disarm Skill i have only found chasts that blow up to be chests a LOT higher level than me..

at level 20 your stil la noob in disarming stil llearning skill and profession dont expect perfection yet... tats something you have to work at..
  8. ARCHIVED-Amelia Decker Guest

As far as I can tell, it's still broken. I have tried to disarm every chest that I've ever had drop. We're talking hundreds of chests by this point. I can honestly say that I can count the number of successes on my fingers (maybe with one hand only). Not only does it fail 99% of the time, but it doesn't seem to level up very fast either. I think I have level 80 or soemthing, but I'm a lvl 26 Ranger. It's not like I can try to level up on easy chests, as grey mobs don't drop them. Maybe if I mentor some noob or something....
  9. ARCHIVED-Troz Guest

Level 50 ranger, I haven't once failed to disarm a trap since I was in the low 20s in TS. Only problems I had then were because of low skill, and once it raises up you never fail.
  10. ARCHIVED-MaenaBowyer Guest

As far as I'm aware, it's very straightforward.

Each chest has a skill req based on the level of the mob.
    If your skill is high enough. You disarm the chest
    If your skill is not high enough. You blow up the trap.

No randomness to it. All they did in that patch however long ago was add the ability to blow yourself up (and get a chance at a skillup) if your skill wasn't high enough for the "automatic succeed".

So, any scout that, for whatever reason, (sharing chests with other scouts, bad luck, gaining major exp from quests, whatever) hasn't been able to keep his disarm skill maxed, (or close to it) will pretty much blow up every chest he sees.

Personally? My disarm skill has maintained a fairly consistant 50 points below my skill cap, so I'm disarming like a scout 10 levels lower, and thus... predictably, every chest goes BOOM. I keep thinkin' about turning off exp and just grindin' chests... but I have yet to actually be killed by one, and the whole reason I'm out killing things is so I can wear better fancy clothes, (fancy clothes requiring, stupidly enough, you be a high level adventurer to wear)
  11. ARCHIVED-Ijiamee Guest

Nothing is broke, your skill isn't high enough. I haven't set off a trap in 20 levels. And yes, I spent my first 20 levels blowing the hell out of myself on traps, just like you.
  12. ARCHIVED-Amelia Decker Guest

So your definition of not broke is to have a skill be entirely worthless untill you're level 50? I guess disarming every chest I've ever found (and having every single one, give or take 10, explode on me) isn't good enough to make full use of this non-broken skill.

Anyway, it's a moot point. SOE agrees that it's broken and are intending to fix it soon, so that it levels up at a reasonable pace.
  13. ARCHIVED-ThePlotThickens Guest

There's an issue with disarming?

I'm lvl 45 now and I havn't set off a trap since they "fixed" disarming when I was lvl 25ish... I actually made a comment to an assasin in my group last night that they took all the fun out of disarming since it's a 100% success now, or so i thought. After 20 lvls of nothing but successes, I just assumed it was almost impossible to fail...
  14. ARCHIVED-jordaann Guest

Nothing is broke??? I can understand a level 20 should not be able to disarm a level 50 chest at all or even fail alot on a level 30 chest. But when I get bored and kill grey mobs at level 20 and a chest drops I think I should be able to handle that. Is the next thing going to be to nerf tanks ability to taunt. We can just tell em oh nothin is wrong, get level 50 then you can taunt the level 15 gnoll
  15. ARCHIVED-Kthaara Guest

Check the test server patch notes. A fix is on the way.

Ummmmm. Also Jordaan......chests don't drop from gray mobs...

Kwent
    Message Edited by Kthaara on 03-14-2005 11:12 AM
  16. ARCHIVED-Ijiamee Guest

Want to come up with a new example?
  17. ARCHIVED-Kthaara Guest

Not trying to derail the thread, but this reminds me of a funny story. Well, kinda funny. Had a full group in TS, pulling and fighting ^^Skellies in the riverbed. We got 2 adds (no problem really - yet). Killed the first MOB, and a chest dropped. Everyone EXCEPT the noob Ranger started to concentrate on the adds. He quickly tried to disarm the chest and triggered a group mezz. We stood there with the little rainbow lights dancing around our heads while 2 ^^ Skeletons beat the tar out of us. The healer went down in about 1.3 seconds. The tank and I were next. We lasted about 4 seconds. When the mezz wore off, the rest of the group tried to run but it was too late. Total group massacre + plenty of XP debt.
    Made for some lively discussion.

Kwent