Dirge vs. Troubadour -- The Real World

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd, Jun 9, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

Another fluff-thread. You know, even when a family member is being a complete jerk, they're still family, God help us.
    Here's the challenge:
    Name a 'dirge' and a 'troubadour' from the real world of music who're related in some way; by performing / composing in the same period, by having the same name, by having a song with the same words in the title, whatever.
    Example: In the seventies, the Grateful Dead (dirge) and Barry Manilow (troubadour).
    Sometimes that's all you need, as above.
    If necessary, expound:
    Johann Strauss (troubadour), the 'Waltz King', versus Richard Strauss (dirge), major originator of modernism in classical music.
    Al Stewart (dirge), who wrote and continues to write astonishingly erudite songs about historical events and people, and Rod Stewart (troubador) who writes songs about relationships that make you go 'Oh, my God, what were they thinking?'.
    Enjoy!
    Whysprr
  2. ARCHIVED-BrokenAria Guest

Well, in my travels in Norrath I'm often scoffing the troubadors for their fluffy music. I like to think of them as pop stars who really have no talent... or they do it's just wasted on sissy music. However, I guess in my brain we just have darker music, tonalities in our voices, and well, we're just better. Amy Lee (dirge) and Christina Aguilera (troubador) Danny Elfman (dirge) and Harry Gregson-Williams (troubador) ... I'll think of more later. And yes. I like all of these musicians/composers. All VERY talented.
  3. ARCHIVED-MadTexan3 Guest

Nine Inch Nails (dirge) & LaTOUR (troubador)
    The Smiths (dirge) & a-ha (troubador)
  4. ARCHIVED-Antryg Mistrose Guest

Oooh Mean !

Okay, Dolly Parton - Troubadour
    (and you can have all the rest of the OhMyDogDiedMahWifeLeft country music crowd ;) )

p.s. Surely with a voice that can peel paint Rod Steward is a Dirge? (we don't want him anyway)
  5. ARCHIVED-LiquidFlex Guest

ok ok... so nobody will claim the Rodster. Like that was a surprise! BB-King = Dirge
  6. ARCHIVED-Budheadly Guest

Eddie Vedder (Dirge) vs Justin Timberlake (Troub) lol
  7. ARCHIVED-Winterborne Guest

16 Horsepower (dirge) and um.... wait no, Radiohead (dirge) and well... Death Cab for Cutie (dirge) and let's see.... Bah, Troubs, who needs 'em?
  8. ARCHIVED-Fromingo Guest

Devious@Blackburrow wrote:
    HAH! :lol:
  9. ARCHIVED-LiquidFlex Guest

Seritaph@Kithicor wrote:
    Well... somebody has to be the court jesters :lol:
  10. ARCHIVED-Winterborne Guest

Okay, here's my effort: Lucinda Williams (dirge), KT Tunstall (Troub)
  11. ARCHIVED-Vicenzo Guest

Mick 'n' Keef : Dirges
    Lennon & McCartney : Troubs.
  12. ARCHIVED-Mildavyn Guest

LiquidFlex wrote:
    Seriously, change your class hat to look like a Jester's hat. PLEASE!! I'm not Robin-hood dammit!
    Panic at the Disco - Dirge
    Fallout Boy - Dirge
    (note: they're both whiny, miserable sorts, very dirgely)
    R.E.M - Troubador (Shiny, Happy People?)
    Seriously, we can both come up with good and bad bands that fit the 'flavour' of dirge and Troubador... hell, the Troubs are taking Kylie Minogue!!
  13. ARCHIVED-Winterborne Guest

Here's another from me: James Blunt (dirge), John Mayer (Troub)
  14. ARCHIVED-Life777form Guest

It would literally hurt to listen to a dirge in real life.
  15. ARCHIVED-TerabithianWhisperwind Guest

oooo fun! Let's, see.... James Blunt, Dirge. James Brown, Troubadour. Slayer, Dirges. Guster, Troubadours. Chopin, Dirge. Mozart, Troubadour. I can't place Beethoven. Ice Cube, Dirge. Common, Troubadour. Donald Duck, Dirge. Mickey Mouse, Troubadour. Grumpy, Dirge. Happy, Troubadour. Russell Simmons, Dirge. Richard Simmons, Troubadour. etc etc etc.
  16. ARCHIVED-LiquidFlex Guest

Metallica=Dirge Creed=Troub
  17. ARCHIVED-Fromingo Guest

nuff said right there. Never betraying to Troub :p
  18. ARCHIVED-ssumthing Guest

Marilyn Manson = Dirge ... The Monkees = Troub
  19. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

[p]I didn't participate in this much, but my good friend Lunna pointed me to a YouTube video. We debated which it was (I won't tell you who espoused which), but I finally came up with what I feel is the perfect description: This is a video of a troubadour attempting to mock a dirge.[/p][p] [/p][p]LINK![/p]
  20. ARCHIVED-Zhephiraa Guest

Linking park -> Dirge! System of a Down Dirge!
    Mika...troubadour...