Dirge: Hand of Lady Luck

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Wanyen, May 2, 2013.

1. Wanyen Active Member

By no means is this a pressing issue, but more for the down the road changes that may happen.

I wanted to toss out an idea I had that might bridge the gap from where Hand of Lady Luck sits, unspec'd because of the horrendous trigger chance and practically never firing, and at the same time prevent it from being considered OP because it always fires.

As it sits, it has a base 15 percent trigger chance. With Luck of the Dirge, being a prerequisite and necessary companion, the effective trigger rate without additional items or effects is roughly 17 percent (20 percent from luck of the dirge to the base chance). That is less than even the 'Reliable' Gnomish pacemaker, which has a base trigger chance of 25 percent.

I can understand the cheap, consumable having a fairly low chance to fire, but this is an endline that is taken in tradeoff for other abilities, abilities which always work. It should be effective, and effective often, especially as a defensive ability when the offensive counterparts always work. The opportunity for firing, the chance at death, is innately low so an even further low rate of fire means it practically never fires.

IIRC, the most I had it fire in any four hour stint of EM progression raiding was 6 times in one outing over the course of about two weeks or more being spec'd for it to try it out of curiosity. In heroic grouping it may have fired twice during those two weeks.

I realize that an always on, no cooldown, groupwide deathsave would be clearly overpowered, so I don't expect 100% trigger rate across the board. On the beta boards, I suggested somewhere closer to 75 percent, not expecting that much but merely as a place to start debate/negotiating from.

Since then, I have considered a couple of further possibilities.

1. As dirges, we supposedly deal with providing a group with the favorable side of luck. Make Hand of Lady Luck operate similar to the Ring of Fate, where trigger rates are random at time of opportunity (when on death is pending after all other save opportunities are exhausted) with a bottom trigger rate of 10 percent, so there is always a small chance of it working, and a top trigger rate of 80 percent, and a few intermediate rates interspersed. Individual trigger chance items and buffs like ancestry would be a factor in determining final chance of trigger chance.

2. Luck can be fickle and exhausted. Base the trigger chance on an inverse rate of death within the group. The more people die, the lower the chance of fire. The less they die, they higher, almost assured chance of fire. This would be a great place for increment/de-increment stacks.

Start the group with a set amount of increments, each increment worth 20 percent base chance to fire. On the first death of anyone in the group, the trigger chance is the highest because the increments are the highest, for example 100 percent, and a group counter is removed. On the second death, if not enough time has passed to regenerate the counter or a certain event that would increment the group count back up hasn't occurred, the chance of fire would be that one increment less, or 80 percent, and so on.

The maximum increment count would be group members (group size) minus one. By limiting to group size minus one increments, there is no chance of getting stuck in a death-save loop where the group can continually sustain itself no matter the circumstances because of this ability.

The numbers in this last example are purely for that purpose, illustrative example. If having the endlines always fire at least once is considered too much, I can easily appreciate that; however, in any case they need to be substantially more reliable than they are to consider over dual conversion or right side prestige specs.