DirectX Error

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Sleppen, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Sleppen Active Member

Got a new desktop running Windows 11. EQ2 crashes over and over again. Sometimes I get this message in a box:

EverQuest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown.

<verify>
    G:\live\eq2\framework\core\devices\DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp
    (6418):
    DirectX Error. (error)

I have seen other threads discussing similar issues. Is there a fix for this?

So far, I have (1) downloaded the DirectX libarry to the EQ2 folder, and (2) uninstalled and reinstalled EQ2. This has not worked.
    Twyla, Rataliate and Tiberia like this.
  2. Tiberia Member

I have run into this error several times as well. In general it seems like there is a crash because of some graphical or rendering issue. I am using an Nvidia RTX 2060 with Windows 10 64 bit. I am on the most recent stable driver release. I play exclusive full screen.

I have also updated to the correct DX9 Package as per instructions on a previous post.

I suspect this is graphical because the sound continues to play, however the screen freezes for around 30 seconds before I am actually kicked from the game and then receive this error.

This is not a consistent issue, and unfortunately I am not reliably able to reproduce the problem.

All I can offer is the last time it happened, I was attempting to click on a quest object that had a pop-up text box (Animal Bones) similar to the "Player was here" pop ups.
    Twyla and Rataliate like this.
  3. Jojotross New Member

I've suggested this in another thread but I can't seem to find it. Of course in my testing I haven't had anything crash, but I haven't been playing very long either.

Try googling "DXVK on Windows" and following the guide there. It will force a Vulkan translation layer between DX9 and Windows. I've used this to fix crashes/glitches in other games. It's just a matter of extracting and copying the correct files into the game's exe directory. (This is part of the method that allows Windows games to run on Linux).

I'm curious to see if that would fix it. Ignore what the guide says about online games, that really applies to newer titles using anticheat.
  4. Tiberia Member

Just a bit more information on this.

This is a crash bug.
    This happened to me again this time when I joined a group.
    The only consistency I see with this is when the client has to draw a new UI element is when it happens.
  5. Rizzan New Member

was there ever a fix for this. I can't go into citys or guild hall.
  6. Rataliate New Member

This bug is what prevents me from enjoying the game with others, and inevitably causes me to repeatedly quit the game for a long time after playing for a month or two. Always come back to see if they've responded to any of the community that faces this issue. They never have.

DAYBREAK/DARKPAW: Please tell us what to do about this bug. Reinstalling everything (Nvidia driver, DX9, Steam/EQ2, and windows!) does not remedy the issue.
    Please search your code for 'G:\live\eq2\framework\core\devices\' and change it to the variable address that it should be pointing to.
    If that is impossible, then can you give us the DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp file so that I can create that location and place it there??
    This is such an old issue that still lingers, destroying my enjoyment of the game 10 times a day. I need a fix.
  7. Solid11 Active Member

I'm getting this on a new HP laptop with 13th gen i7. Only crashes in the major cities even on lowest settings, even though it can run the game on max settings anywhere else in the game. I have given up using my new laptop to play EQ2 for now. Did every DX fix and trick along with every MS redistributable. Doesn't happen with my Windows 11 desktop.
    Twyla likes this.
  8. Vincent New Member

Been having this issue for a while but it's only when I'm near the bigger cities, even when it's on the lowest graphics possible. And I really can only use one character cause they aren't near the bigger cities, so I can't really play the game unless I stay in that zone. It's been happening for months and that's why I stopped playing, cause I couldn't. Hope they fix this soon but doubt they will.
  9. Solid11 Active Member

I posted in another area but it has to do with running the game with on board graphics. You probably have a 12th or 13th gen Intel processor running the game with Iris Xe graphics. It has a problem emulating DX9 games since Intel is phasing out support for it. When they shift over to DX11 next month we should be good. Just have to wait.