Diary of an Epic Journey -Updated 12th of August '09

Discussion in 'Traveler's Tales' started by ARCHIVED-gith, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

ooc

Greetings all, not posted in this section before so please bear with me.

I have also wanted to do something a little bit creative when it comes to this game, and finally figured out how I can do this.
    I am not a professional author by any means, my grammar is sometimes not the best either! However, I have been roleplaying for a heck of a long time and written a lot of adventures too.
    I'm rambling a bit now... But the point is I have decided to chronicle my character Rlaal's Epic quest in a IC fictional diary. I'm sure this is not original, and others have probably done this before, it is however something I thought about doing for Sword of Destiny but never got around too. This idea is more for my own amusement really, although I thought it might be nice to share it with the community as well. So I finally decided to go for it, I got some freebie webspace and decided to use a blog style web template.

[12 August 09] I finished my epic quest sometime ago, but am still working on the IC journal, although I am nearing the end of my epic journal.

I welcome constructive feedback, and hope you like it.
    You can keep up with the latest entries here : Rlaal's Journal
    Alternatively I will periodicaly post updates here.
    Available parts in this thread: Part 1, 2,3,4,5, 6,7 & 8 *(new)

Part 1.
    A discovery in the home of the fish men.

In the depths of the underwater city of Chelsith, off the coast of Kunark, My fellow adventurers and I ventured quietly further into the vast dank and dangerous cavern of the Yha-lei. These strange almost alien surroundings of the cavern was dominated by structures created from giant living organisms, plants and crustaceans of the undersea, as our dimmed magical light passed over these eerie structures they glistened and reacted to our presence, although not sentient, they were clearly alive.[IMG]

We proceeded onward, and fought many of the inhabitants, the Yha-lei fought well, though all too easily succumbed to my bolts of ice, or the blades of my companions. We were all here for the same reason, earning some coin and reputation with the Danak Shipyard in the Jarsath Wastes, it was a simple enough task, bring proof of the slaying of important Yha-lie in Chelsith, in order to reduce there organisation and numbers, a small force would be able to entered the city and strike quickly at the targets, retreating swiftly to the surface.
    What I was not ready for was what I found on the body of one of the dead fish people. Clearly not knowing what it was, one of the Yha-lei defenders had stuffed into a small satchel a water logged leather bound dilapidated journal.
    What this creature was doing with it was anyone’s guess as the text itself was written in the Koada'dal language. However, although most of it was ruined, what was left intrigued me. First though I had to dry the journal carefully, and apply some alchemical liquids that might clean up more of the text.

Having dispatched the remaining Yha-lei and collecting our reward, I bid my companions goodbye, and quickly teleported myself back to the more familiar caverns of Neriak. I headed to my house a stones throw from Queen Cristanos' Palace, once inside I proceeded immediately into the basement where my alchemical laboratory was setup.

I set about the laborious task of restoring the journal.
    [IMG]

Although as I feared most of it was damaged beyond restoration, I found the following fragments of text which intrigued me so much, that I have begun further investigation.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Part 2
    Dead Ends
    It has been a number of days since my last entry, I have begun researching the meaning of the text to uncover the mystery behind this journal, many questions nagged at me, although I cared little for the fates of the two lovers mentioned in the text, I was more interested in the rings forged from the elements of Fire and Ice, and what had happened to these items of power.
    [IMG]
    My research in Neriak started in my own library and spread out to other areas in Neriak, in the library of the Spurned I searched , but this as I suspected produced no tangible clues.
    [IMG]
    My next destination was the great library in Freeport, housed the Academy of Arcane Sciences. Here i spoke with many of the librarians and bribed a few of them to help me search the vast stacks of books. After much siftling through ancient dusty tomes we had not even yielded one scrap on information regarding the people or items written in the dilapidated journal
    [IMG]

I left the city of Freeport and headed back to the comfotable gloom of Neriak. Upon my arrival back home I discovered a letter from an associate I had called in a favour from, who has access to the library in Qeynos; this avenue of enquiry however has met with another frustrating dead end. My contact had not records of the individuals mentioned in the text that he could find.
    In anger I summoned flames around my hands and immolated the letter before retiring to in my Study, and paced the room stopping to pondering or exclaiming about this fruitless search , As I paced my eyes were drawn to the array of books and trophies I had picked up over my years of travelling, so many memories of adventures past, so much knowledge acquired, and yet I could not get my mind off this confounded journal that had initially intrigued me so. I tapped my Lucanic staff at my side, a gift from the mighty Overlord Lucan D’lere, for helping him retrieve some ‘lost’ property. What a challenge that had been, it had taken me all over the realms, across the shattered isles and as far away as Faydwer......
    [IMG]
    I stopped suddenly whilst I was reminiscing. There were places I had forgotten to look, more dangerous, but still worth it, even if only to quell my mind.
    I will go to Felwithe for a start I decided, as the language was Koada’dal, this would be a logical next step in my search to head to the former city of the High Elves.

PART 3 - The Mystery Deepens.
    I ventured into Felwithe at night; the shattered moon of Luclin was high over head, its shards shining in the night sky. Even at night I had to be careful, the Renda’dal here were not welcoming of visitors, even their own race from which they trace their lineage, the Koada’dal are perceived as impure. Ironic really considering the influences of vampire lord Mayong Mistmoore I had found here on my last visit. It amuses me to see them so warped from what they had been, and believing themselves to be pure (Renda). Cloaked with invisibility, I slipped into the city of New Tunaria, as it had been renamed too. I navigated past the guards and made my way to the areas of knowledge deep within the city. Amongst one of the open air scholastic areas, it was deserted save for one Renda’dal, if I was lucky and quiet enough I could scan some of the volumes for anything of relevance, without being noticed.
    [IMG]

I moved over, and the elf looked up and right at me. I immediately began recalling the arcane words to a spell that would quickly remove me from the area. However instead of calling for the guards, he beckoned me over. Intrigued, I resisted the urge to depart, and approached cautiously. He had no weapons to speak of, although in this place that did not matter, words are power, but there were few individuals these days that could match my arcane might.
    [IMG]

We spoke for a short time, although I never revealed my identity, he seemed not to be concerned, and more interested with knowledge from the world outside this isolated bubble the Renda’dal had built. He explained he was a liaison to the outsiders and called himself Cerennhire Aelindel, a member of the Keeper of the Arts. He asked what had brought me to this place, to which I revealed I was searching for information on a person called Arendahr, possibly a former student. Cerennhire quickly cut my question short and demanded how I knew about Arendahr Lossehelin. I grinned under my broad rimmed hat; this foolish Renda’dal had already revealed more information with his outburst than I would have done. I told him of my discovery of a battered journal written by the former student.

After some further exchanges, in which the elf further showed his ignorance. It was however with great restraint I decided not to obliterate him where he stood.

I asked him to tell me more of Arendahr Lossehelin, whom I already knew from his own journal, was a ‘Flame Disciple’. Some sort of secret sorcerers order I suspect.

This is what information he told me:

• “The legend of Arendahr and Isilwen remains a hotly debated topic of discussion even today."
    Asking about these two elves he responded by saying
    • "One and a half elves, to be exact. Isilwen was an Ayr'Dal, um, half-elf as many call it. Why she was allowed into the fold of the Keepers is anyone's guess... Now then, why are you, a powerful wizard in your own right, interested in learning more about the tale of Arendahr and Isilwen?"

• I picked my next words carefully; I did not wish to reveal my interest in the forged rings mentioned in the text. Instead I expressed my interest in finding out what happened to Arendahr and Isilwen.

Instead of telling me more of these two, he instead made a bargain with me. In exchange for more information he wanted my help on another matter. I am still not convinced it is unrelated. He asked me to retrieve a codex stolen by someone in the city several hundred years ago.

He told me:

• "The spell is not actually a spell, but more a scribed theoretical exercise in arcane evocation. A prototype if you will. It was never meant to be cast, but rather to be studied. I'm afraid its current owners intend not only to cast this spell, but to make it readily available to many nefarious parties, who would undoubtedly use it for malicious purposes."

• "The existence of this codex was unknown to almost everyone save the eldest member of the Keepers. Several hundred years ago it went missing after a rather selfish member of this city decided that they alone should own and study the codex."

I inquired about the sudden urgency after several hundred years and if the codex had now been found?

• "Yes. It appears that the thief travelled to the now destroyed fortress of Firiona Vie in Kunark where he continued his work in relative solitude. How he met his fate is of no concern to me, though it has become clear that the Di'Zok sarnaks have pillaged the fortress and come across the scroll."

• "This codex, known as Codex Bragallich Tel'llach, is invaluable, so great care must be taken that you recover it in its entirety. Take this coffer and guard it well. It has been imbued with several valuable enchantments which, once sealed, will not allow anyone aside from a member of my order to open the coffer."

The Renda’dal gave me the coffer into which I was to place the codex, I agreed to head to Kunark and track the codex down. It seems to me that the codex thief and the former student Arendahr might be one and the same.

Obviously there is much more here going on than the mere retrieval of a lost trinket, so I will investigate and report my findings to the house when I know more.

ooc I would like to thank the following people for thier help with the lore on this entry.
    Bludwyng, EQ2 Wikibase Admin at Allakhazam's Magical Realm
    iceriven2 (EQ2 official forum Handle)
  2. ARCHIVED-niko_teen Guest

Great Idea BTW. And I cannot remeber who said it but "All of the great stories have already been told." Sydney White, the movie for example. My wife and daughter love the movie even though it is merely a retelling of snow white in a modern setting. So who cares if 50 thousand people already did it before you. Do your writting because you have a nice start there.
    I'd just like to invite you to post your story here as well (Granted I post my story on my own webpage where I have the freedom to write which ever swear word that I want to add in for example), That way you can get comments from people without forcing them to jump through hoops and register (and recieve spam) from a free web hosting service.
    In addition to that, to be honest, I'm not going to log in and check your linked page everyday. I'm not trying to be offensive but I just wont remember to go through 9, 10, 15 webpages each day. So if you're coming here to post on your thread that you've added to your story on the link... Why not just post it here?
    But this is just a token of advice. Take it or leave it at your own chosing and even report me to a mod if you feel the need (wont be the first time )
  3. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

niko_teen wrote:
    Lol, why would I report you.. On the contrary thankyou for your feedback. I think What I will do is Every few updates, I will post them on the boards too. That way the story will grow here, and if people want to catch up on the latest they can go straight to the site.
    As I said I felt the blog style template fitted how I wanted to write the journal.
  4. ARCHIVED-niko_teen Guest

Because Niko is a meanie head. Look back at my posts from 6 - 7 months ago hehehehe. But anyway I'm not gunna bog your post down anymore with senseless babble (that is what the general horeseplay thread is for). I do however look foreward to your next post.
  5. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

I have update the Diary both here and on the site. Hope you like the new entries.
  6. ARCHIVED-niko_teen Guest

Very nice.
    You know if you wanted to do one for the ranger epic i might get off my butt and start at least looking at starting it.
  7. ARCHIVED-Rubyjewel Guest

Very enjoyable read. Thank you for posting. Hope to see more on your epic weapon quest soon. The in-game snap shots add an especially nice touch to the story line. Good luck in your endeavors :)
  8. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

PART 4 - Adventures in Kunark
    Although I have made several trips to Kunark previously, learning more of the Sarnak & Iksar, their language, traditions and the current political state that exists there currently, I had by no means explored the entire continent and many places were very dangerous for an inquisitive mage to be poking his nose in. I had however made inroads with many of the inhabitants of Kunark, particularly those of Terrens grasp, settlers from the old world, a mix of races, with the agenda of exploiting the riches of Kunark. Well at least that is my suspicion as to why they are here.

Before I could proceed though I had to gain permission from the Matriarch of our House, Rusalka Rea'Morda, my late mother's sister. She is both fair and wicked at the same time, and chosen of Innoruuk for hundreds of years, long before the Shattering.

I explained in short the nature of my research and the power I sought for the glory of the house; I was instructed to proceed with my journey, and to report back my findings. I may have over emphasised my own theories a bit, but I believe them to be true.

I packed some hearty provisions, courtesy of the House chef, Womd, an ogre with a surprising talent for cooking good food, and is also quite exceptional at pummelling people into bloody pulps, so his uses are two fold. Having prepared myself for the journey ahead I took a moment to focus my mind, and recalled the ancient words of power into my conscious mind, channelling them and recalling the great Spire at Terrens Grasp in Kunark. Appearing in the icy settlement of Terrens Grasp I could not help once again looking up at monument that loomed over my head and most of the settlement.
    [IMG]

The Spire here rivalled any I had seen before, even the one I have seen in the great forest of Faydark paled against the majesty and scale, and made me gaze in awe at the magic and knowledge that must have been required to achieve this monument. I brought my thoughts back to the here and now and set about my task, firstly I would have to find the Di'Zok Sarnak that may have been looting the ancient citadel of Firiona Vie recently.It was speaking to the citizens at Terrens grasp that I discovered a likely location that the pages of the missing codex may have been taken. The Di'Zok Sarnak inhabited a place called Chardok, located beyond the mountains of Terrens grasp and the other side of a great forest. It certainly seemed a logical place to start, and at least I understood the language these creatures spoke, perhaps they understood the universal constant of 'bribery'.
    I called my Sokakar forth and flew in the direction of Chardok; I needed to scout the city out before venturing further. I flew atop this strange flying lizard that I had tamed, and headed down the mountains leaving the ice and snow behind, over the huge treetops home to giants and large insects. I saw some large stone towers and ramparts nestled against the base of a low lying mountain range and indeed this was Chardok according to the descriptions I had received.
    [IMG]

I skirted around the edges of the citadel of Chardok, and the outlying outposts. Chardok itself looked like an impenetrable fortress of stone that would bring death to all who were uninvited. I like a challenge.

I landed near one of the outposts out of sight of the many guards, and cloaked myself with invisibility and proceeded towards one of the outposts. My intent was to speak to one of soldiers, and coerce it using whatever way I could to get the information out of it.
    After failing to extract any useful information from three scouts I ventured near one of the guard towers and found my next victim to be more forthcoming, apparently a raiding party of Gorowyn soldiers had returned to Chardok some time ago, they had been looting the ancient citadel of Firona Vie, and had been seen showing off some of the spoils they had returned with. I was intrigued and pursued my line of questioning further to gain an accurate description of these Gorowyn soldiers. My informant was most forthcoming before death took him; it seems these particular soldiers are given the honour of guarding the Palace high up in Chardok.
    I left the area to regroup my thoughts. Coming into the palace from above would be impossible, many beasts loyal to these sarnak patrol the skies above, a fact that I was most acutely aware of during my initially arial scouting missions earlier that day.
    I would have to assemble a swift strike party to get into this place and out alive....
  9. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

Part 5 - A raid on Chardok

I spent a sleepless night pouring over outdated information and maps of Chardok in the Library in the Rea'Morda compound deep within caverns of Neriak. I Shut another heavy tome aggressively and sneezed as dust flew into the air. These tomes and maps were 500 years old, detailing how Chardok used to be, they were of little use now, and only served to confuse the issue.

Pacing the stone floor I decided to ask some of the other house members what they knew of Chardok in recent times. I was very glad I did too as I discovered one of my relatives Senscha Rea'Morda was all too familiar with it, and had secretly scouted parts of the Chardok citadel recently, although she did not reveal why, and I certainly did not dare to ask why. I told her what I knew, and the reasons for going, and she told me to leave it with her... Leaving Senscha to her secrets I went and got some sleep.
    The next day I was taken aback when I was called to the main audience chamber to find Senscha a master of the martial arts standing alongside several other key figures of the house, including; Yaskel, a powerful necromancer, Dorlant the shadow knight of Innoruuk, Korgahn, a powerful troll bezerker trained by Senscha, and the Matron Rusalka Rea'Morda whom was waiting impatiently for me. After bowing and apologizing for my tardiness to the matron, she informed me she had a task of her own to see to in Chardok that required her direct attention. She said simply that she had a message for the Queen of Chardok, and if we find my scrolls on those sarnaks nearby then so be it. What kind of message I dared not ask, it was enough for me to get the chance to discover if any of the missing codex survived. With a nod in my direction from Yaskel, I transported us all to Terrens grasp and we proceeded down the icy mountain trail that descended into the woodlands below.
    It was late in the evening when we crept into Chardok, using a combination of magic, stealth and quick blades we soon found our way to the upper reaches of the citadel, and located the palace.
    Indeed many of the Sarnak of the palace bore the marks of those of Gorowyn, and we quickly made our way inside, using speed and swift blades and my icy shards of death. There was only time for a rapid search of each Sarnak as we fought our way to the Throne room.
    I was please when by chance I discovered several old worn pages with runic symbols matching those I had seen before. And as our group dispatched the last palace guard we moved into the throne room as the Queen of Chardok fled using magic. Unconcerned by the turn of events the Matron crushed the nearest guard with her hammer, as the rest of us assailed the other stunned guards.
    The broken, charred or frozen remains of the Sarnak littered the stone floor around the throne room, as I searched the matron went to the throne room and placed one of the house symbols on the throne, she turned and smiled wickedly, and summoned me forth to remove ourselves from this place. Having discovered what I believed were the last pieces of the codex, I moved over quickly to begin the transportation spell. Senscha, the grand daughter of the matron had taken the opportunity to try out the Chardok Queen's throne.
    It occurred to me that this trip was about humiliating the Queen of Chardok in some manner. Perhaps for an old slight, I do not know, either way I knew better than to ask.

[IMG]
    I incanted a long spell and teleported us all from the throne room and back to Terren's Grasp, from there everyone would be able to make their way back to Neriak safely. I hastily placed the rest of these pages in the coffer I was given by Cerennhir and sealed it he instructed. As everyone else began to way back to the house Compound, however I took my leave of the matron, and teleported myself to the combine Spires in the greater Faydark. Exhausted I headed immediately to new Tunaria, using my usual cunning and magic to my usual great effect, I made my way back inside undetected, and soon enough located Cerennhire Aelindel the Renda’dal whom had set me on this expedition that had ended up in Chardok.
    He noticed me and beckoned me over to a safe place to talk.
    I handed him the coffer and told him I was successful in retrieving it from the Di'Zok Sarnak.
    • Cerennhire initially pleased exclaimed “...they've split it into pieces! It's good you recovered the codex when you did."
    I inquired what he meant by this.
    He told me "The codex has been divided into four sections, each of which pertains to certain aspects of the fundamental nature of this spell. In other words, the Di'Zok are more talented than I had first thought. This proves that they were making progress in the deconstruction and comprehension of this codex. "
    • "Certain aspects?" I questioned.
    • "Yes, the four sections you recovered were not arbitrarily divided pieces of the codex. Anto, Parma, Aicanaro and Curuvar each represent a major facet of the codex. Roughly translated to the common tongue the sections are mouth, book, flame and magic, respectively."
    Noticing his distraction I brought his attention back to me by asking him to tell me more about the legend of Arendahr and Isilwen.
    • He seemed agitated by my request and said "There are greater concerns right now than storytelling. The codex must be reassembled at once. Give me a moment to restore the codex to its original state."
    I shrugged, and paced quietly whilst he used his arcane arts to restore the four parts of the codex….
    Finally he told me he had completed the restoration of the codex.
    I then re-iterated my request from earlier to tell me more about Arendahr and Isilwen?"
    He thanked me for aiding his cause, and then proceeded to tell me more of the romantic relationship of Arendahr and Isilwen. A topic that did not interest me greatly, but I bit my tongue and let him continue.
    • Cerennhire told me “The romantic relationship between Arendahr and Isilwen was eventually discovered by another student who snitched on the two for most presumably to gain favour with his headmaster."
    I interjected and asked what became of them after they were caught?
    • Cerennhir carried on his tale apparently oblivious of my pertinent question "A meeting between the elder Keepers and the headmasters was held to determine what sorts of repercussions were to be doled out; however, before a decision could be made, the horns of war were braying all across the city as the wicked Teir'Dal forces ascended upon our city." I could not help but grin beneath my deep hood at this.
    I asked him again what happened to them, before he went off on a tangent regarding the War of the Fay, a subject I was tutored in by people who fought and lived through in it.
    • He answered this time "That's where fact quickly becomes legend. Some say the two wizards used the war as an opportunity to flee from Felwithe and start a new life. Some claim they were captured by the forces of Neriak and tortured to death."
    • "What do you believe?" I quizzed him.
    • "I tend to think the two young wizards played their part in the War of the Fay and leave it at that."
    Feeling I was getting nowhere with this Renda’Dal I posed my next question to something more specific and asked what happened to the rings mentioned in the journal?
    • "I'm afraid I do not posses the answer to your question, though a colleague of mine may know more. He is a great sorcerer, like yourself, as well as an astronomer."
    • "Great, where can I find this colleague of yours?" I inquired.
    • Cerennhir Aelinde told me this "You pose another fine question for which I do not have an answer. Jaestin Chaldean has gone on an extended sabbatical recently and is not expected to return any time soon. I'm sure you can find him atop some tower somewhere, looking to the heavens with that silly looking glass of his."
    Extremely annoyed almost to the point of raining down fiery destruction on this useless elf, I left quickly before I decided to smite him, and instead gave him a short curt goodbye. More layers to the mystery, and little answers, this journey was rapidly becoming arduous and frustrating, yet on another level intriguing, as my mind was now trying to think of places to search for Jaestin Chaldean, an astronomer from what Cerennhire had told me. I hoped for Jaestin’s sake that he would be more forthcoming with answers than his colleague.
  10. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Very, very nice format!
    It is something I had wanted to do myself for sometime, but never got around to it. Hats off to you for an EXCELLENT presentation, and a good story. Please keep going.
    I haven't picked over the details lore-wise, but considering the meticulous way you have presented the story, I have no doubt that your research was just as meticulous.
  11. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

Part 6: Of Fire and Ice: the Sorcerer – Astronomer.
    Astronomy.... I pondered for sometime on the subject before heading to the Academy of arcane Sciences in Freeport. There was little point in heading in searching the library in Neriak, being underground there was little chance of having any decent resources on astronomy.

It was raining in Freeport when I arrived, the streets were wet and the overall gloom of the day certainly reflected the mood of this large city and its inhabitants.
    I walked up the steps to the Academy, the building loomed up ahead of me, the great winged guardians turned their head towards me as I continued up the steps, their fiery eyes determined I was an ally and I passed into archway and into the building.

Once inside I wasted no time in enlisting the help of one of the many librarians that bustled around the library, it was a busy day today indeed many patrons of the academy were here. I overheard some talking about the Shadow Men and rifts that were appearing around the realms. Although my curiosity was piqued, I was not going to be sidetracked. However I made a mental note to report this news to our Matriarch Rusalka Rea’Morda. Perhaps Lorr V’rinn could be tasked with looking into this matter.

After hours of searching maps and tomes, it became apparent that most of the recent information on astronomy was written by the scholars of Maj’dul, it came as no great surprise as it was one of the places I had in mind to look if I turned up nothing here. Feeling confident, I paid the lackey and moved to a secluded area of the library and began recalling the incantation to teleport me to Maj’dul. A spell I secretly learned from a corrupt Sha’ir many years ago now in my travels around desert of Ro.

I appeared outside the gates of the city high above the desert of Ro. Maj’dul sat upon a huge pinnacle of rock, and allowed an impressive view of the area. The skies above the city were patrolled by the Sha’ir, sorcerers of great power on their flying carpets. I entered the city itself, coming immediately into a small market that was nestled around the city gate. The heat of the evening sun was warm and the pleasant wind wafted a mixture scents, from exotic spices to animals. Still it was certainly a refreshing change from the bleak wet of Freeport, which mostly smells of fish!
    [IMG]

The market was closing up for the day, and the merchant were packing there belongings onto animals for transport. I briskly made my way through the market and headed to the Tower of the Moon. I reached the area just outside the tower and came upon a small group of robed men talking heatedly about star alignments and relationship in predicting cataclysmic events. I stopped and interrupted them, asking them if they knew a man named Jaestin Chaldean. They responded by saying. ”That trotter spends most of the evenings at the top of tower of the moon, using the great telescope.” Trotter was a word that I was called a lot during my early visits to this land, although never explained to me, I assumed it meant foreigner or some such.
    [IMG]

I moved off swiftly, leaving these men to there conversation again, clearly the heat had addled the minds of some of these supposed learned men. I stood outside the tower of the moon for a moment and looked up at the magnificent structure, cylindrical in shape was coloured in white plaster, atop with huge beams and glass that I had to guess formed part of the telescope. I entered the tower and proceeded up the stairs within.

[IMG]

***Continued in next post ***
  12. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

***Continued from previous post***
    In the centre of the top floor in this tower stood the observation end of the great telescope, reaching up to the vaulted ceiling and beyond. Peering into viewing lens was a human with blond hair, although well tanned, the blond hair was a dead give away that he did not originate here.
    [IMG]
    I hailed a quick greeting as I approached who I assumed was Jaestin Chaldean

Jaestin Chaldean looked up from the giant telescope, and said wistfully, “So many people only see the remnants of Luclin when they peer skyward. I'm more concerned with the stars and their relation to the gods.”
    I jumped right in and asked the question that was burning in my mind, "You wouldn't by chance know anything about the legend of Arendahr and Isilwen, would you?”
    Jaestin Chaldean appeared suddenly defensive, “Maybe, maybe not. Maybe you should tell me who you are first before you start asking a complete stranger such... detailed questions about Koada'Dal folklore.”
    Confirming his identity I decided on a different tact.
    “My apologies master Chaldean. I'm Rlaal. I've been sent by Cerennhir Aelindel to learn more about their tale.”
    Somewhat placated by my introduction, Jaestin said, “I see, and why would a wizard like yourself be so interested in learning about them?”
    Feeling no reason to hide my intent, I continued.
    “I've found Arendahr's lost journal and now I'm looking to find the two rings mentioned in several of his entries.”
    Jaestin revealed instantly his knowledge on the subject by saying “Cor Gollor ed'Lhach and Cor Per'Edhel ed'Hegel? You don't really think you could find them, do you?”
    I stated it was my destiny to find them, a touch over dramatic, but it had the desired effect.
    “Hmm, very well then. If memory serves, Arendahr was said to have travelled to Kunark to speak with a member of the Ring of Scale.”
    Slightly perplexed I inquired as to why he would do that?
    "You mean, Cerennhir didn't tell you?”
    “Tell me what?” I asked
    Jaestin Chaldean says to you, “Isilwen was actually a dragon disguised as a Koada'Dal.”
    “What?!” I exclaimed, a little surprised by the revelation.
    Jaestin Chaldean continued, “Well, this is all speculation on a rumour of a supposed encounter with the two previously mentioned lovers.”
    Prompting him to continue the tale, Jaestin told me, “According to some, Arendahr and Isilwen were dutifully defending the city of Felwithe from Teir'Dal invaders during the initial onslaught of the War of the Fay when they were set upon by a legion of Thexian Dragoons. Young Arendahr wasted no time and immediately began casting balls of magical fire upon the Dragoons, killing several in mere seconds. Isilwen fought bravely as well, piercing several Teir'Dal with razor sharp icicles.”
    “What happened next?”
    Jaestin continued the story , “As the Dragoons closed upon their targets, the two wizards became overwhelmed and were forced into melee. Arendahr fought nobly, but finally succumbed to his wounds.”
    “Was he killed?”, hoping the Teir’Dal Dragoons had struck the Koada’Dal a mortal blow.
    Jaestin shattered my hope that the elf met a grim fate by saying “Surely that would have been Arendahr's fate were it not for a miracle. As the Dragoons prepared to strike down Isilwen, she let out a scream which quickly turned to a roar as she suddenly transformed to a gleaming white dragon.”
    He paused briefly before carrying on, “As the story is told, Isilwen quickly slew the remaining Dragoons. As the fight subsided, the dragon-Isilwen gently picked up Arendahr's fragile body and flew from the besieged city of Felwithe for parts unknown.”
    You say to Jaestin Chaldean, “Then what happened?”
    Jaestin Chaldean says to you, “Arendahr would later awake in a small secluded cave, wounded, but still alive. Isilwen was no where to be found however.”
    I nodded and asked what does all this have to do with Arendahr travelling to Kunark?
    He responded promptly, “A valid question, friend. The answer to which no one really knows.”
    Slightly frustrated I asked Jaestin to continue telling what he did know.
    Jaestin perhaps detecting my frustration said, “There are those who say Arendahr grew enraged once he realized Isilwen was not who she originally claimed she was and vowed to track her down and kill her.”
    I agreed with the sentiment, realising the influence of the god of hate was that had begun the Koada’Dal’s weak heart.
    Jaestin Chaldean gave nothing away of his own feelings of the situation and merely continued the tale “Realizing that one Koada'Dal could not defeat a dragon without proper aid, Arendahr set out to craft a wand which would harness the dynamism of both fire and ice.”
    I question him as to how this related to the two rings?
    “Another superb question!” he began “Now then, should you find one or both of the rings return them to me and perhaps we can learn more about the wand Arendahr set out to create?”
    “I shall seek out Cor Gollor ed'Lhach, Arendahr's ring.”
    Jaestin Chaldean then warned me that Cor Gollor ed'Lhach was said to radiate such heat that only Arendahr himself could wear the ring. And I should find the ring and return to him for further investigation.
    I informed Jaestin Chaldean that I will return at some point with the ring, nodded cordially to him and left him to his stargazing.

As wound my way down the many stairs and proceeded out the tower, my mind wandered searching for where I should look, my main clue was that Arendahr was trying to make contact with the Ring of Scale in Kunark, and the revelation that his beloved had turned out to be a dragon-kind herself. Perhaps he sought the Ring of Scale out in order to tell them that she had broken one of there sacred laws. I, myself was not familiar with the laws of the Ring of Scale, but I knew that the Ring of Scale was an ancient and secretive society of dragon-kind, and it is known that in the past, dragons that have violated the laws of the Ring of Scale have paid the price, banishment or worse. Perhaps this is how Arendahr sought vengeance; at this point it is pure speculation.

As I rested in my chambers back in Neriak, reading through some tomes and maps about Kunark searching for clues, it soon became apparent that the only place where dragon-kind frequented with any numbers was the volcanic and dangerous region of the Skyfire Mountains. I would have to hope to find a creature in the area that would be agreeable to talk about such matters. At least I spoke the language of the dragons, indeed I had conversed with the great Nagafen himself before, although to the best of my knowledge he does not belong to the Ring of Scale. I smiled to myself as I recalled the conversation and how intimidated I was. I had come a long way since then.

Tomorrow, I head to the Jarsath wastes and Skyfire Mountains…..
  13. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

Part 7. Volcanic Journeys.
    For many hours I picked my path up to the volcanic heights of Skyfire Mountain. The heat would have been overwhelming but for my magical protections I was able to conjure. The path in front was strewn with stone debris and great cracks which vented great gouts of steam. The terrain would have been impassable on a normal horse, but my Nightmare steed was magical and was easily able to cope with this hostile environment.
    My journey so far had already a few interesting sights, the most fascinating was when I watched Droags and Sarnak factions battling in futility with each other, I wondered if either faction remembered why they were at war.
    I reached the summit of one of the peaks, and the area before me became a plateau, from which other peaks raised themselves into view, with great torrents of lava weaving themselves around the rock formations.
    [IMG]
    I sighted many creatures wandering and flying amongst the terrain ahead, this was not going to be easy. I recalled to myself the times I had snuck past the Soot Foot goblins in Lavastorm that seemed easy in respect to the task ahead. Never the less, I cloaked myself in invisibility and dismissed my nightmare steed, and proceeded on foot.
    After some time I had successfully manoeuvred unseen past several smaller wyrms, they were certainly not what I was looking for, they were too young. I would need to find a dragon-kin a lot older in order to aid me, one that would perhaps have been around at the time of Arendahr and Isilwen.
    I had to proceed with great caution even though I was shrouded from view, I knew some dragon-kind had heightened senses that may still detect me, so my stealthy approach was necessary, but time consuming.
    After some searching I came upon a venerable looking dragon-kin, whose scales lacked the lustre and colouring of its young kin, and it carried itself heavily on its haunches, an elder looking beast indeed I noted. Although not a true dragon this wyvern would certainly be a good place to start. Giving myself some distance between the creature and myself, I dispelled the cloak of concealment, and hailed the wyvern in draconic language.

The beast turned, fixed its ancient eyes upon me, and narrowed them as it suddenly leapt into action. It moved quickly towards me, and I realised I had underestimated this elder wyverns capabilities; it still had the instincts and reflexes of a hunter, and clearly was not in the mood for conversation.
    As the Wyvern crossed the distance between us, beating is colossal wings to aid in traversing the distance, I quickly recalled the incantations of a cold spell that would aid me. Just as it was almost upon me, my spell took hold. The creatures 2 huge legs were coiled inside icy chains that stunned and held this venerable wyrm. The beast screamed and at this moment I heard loose rocks cascade down the cliff behind me as another of these elder wyverns dove from above.
    As the first creature struggled at its icy bonds I cast one of my most powerful spells at the creature that was about to end my existence. Cold air arose swiftly around me; my hands became covered in frost as I flung a huge comet of icy death into the head of the swooping wyvern, and threw myself unceremoniously down a small rocky bank nearby. The diving dragon-kin was struck full force by my Ice Nova and cold and ice permeated the great beast, its wings seized momentarily, but this was enough. Unable to pull up out of its dive the wyvern dashed itself upon the sharp rocks below, and drew no more breath. Bruised and cut from my escape I turned back to the other wyvern that heaved at its icy chains.
    Knowing that it would only be seconds before the beast freed itself I channelled all my remaining mana into a great magical blast of energy.
    I wiped my eyes clean a few moments later and tried to stop coughing from the huge cloud of dirt and rock dust that the explosion had flung into air. My ears ringing I staggered up the small slope and surveyed handy work. There was not much left of the beast I had ensnared in icy manacles. Thinking I may have to go through all this again soon, I caught sight of something on one of the second wyverns talons, a large ring wedged on its tip. It looked as if it had been their sometime, as the bone had grown around it, how much time was anyone’s guess though.
    I extracted the talon with the ring using a long dagger I kept with me, and made haste to get off the mountain before others came to investigate the explosion and newly formed crater.

About half way down the mountain side I stopped to rest and took a quick opportunity to examine the tarnished old ring, I gave it a bit of a clean with my robe, it shinned up a bit, and looked very interesting, it had clearly been magical at some point, although the enchantment that once was held within had long since waned. Having no idea if I had indeed found Arendahr's ring “Cor Gollor ed'Lhach”, I decided to head to the only person whom I believed may have seen it all those years ago, Arendahr’s teacher Cerennhir Aelindel.

The next day, after spending the night at Terrens Grasp in Kunark, I made the journey to New Tunaria, or Feltwithe as the original elven inhabitants had named it. I cast my spell of teleportation and appeared at the huge Combine Spire in the greater Faydark, after that I made the trek to the valley of new Tunaria. Shielding myself in invisibility I made my way quickly past the guards and began searching for Cerennhir.
  14. ARCHIVED-gith Guest

Part 8. Flame Disciples Ring.

Deep within the walls of New Tunaria I once again located Cenrennhir, and showed him what I had found.
    Cerennhir Aelindel exclaimed loudly: "By the gods! You've found Cor Gollor ed'Lhach! Though... it no longer radiates the power it once possessed, does it?"
    After asking him not to draw attention to our meeting, I asked if he could help me restore its former enchantment.
    Cerennhir smiled, "As a matter of fact, I can. If you remember, I told you that your retrieval of the Codex Bragallich Tel'llach would be relevant to the task of discovering the fate of Arendahr and Isilwen."
    I waited for him to continue, "I have reason to believe that Arendahr himself used Codex Bragallich Tel'llach to empower this ring."
    I asked "Can you discern the sort of enchantment he placed on the ring now that you possess the Codex once more?"
    Cerennhir responded he could and I passed him the ring.
    The Renda’dal began examining the ring, and asked me to move away whilst he did his enchantments, in case something went awry. I agreed, although I felt he was being overly dramatic.
    After a short wait he came over, "There, it is done; however, the ring does not appear to possess the empowerment it once held."
    "So you were only partly successful?" I asked, trying to hide my annoyance.
    “Yes, unfortunately. I'm sorry I cannot assist you further. It appears that Arendahr sought additional help from another source to further empower the ring.”
    In tried to find out who, but Cerennhir continued his ramblings by saying "It seems that Arendahr sought to add additional dynamism through some sort of divine source. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.”
    "I guess I'll have to find this unknown source." I muttered under my breath.

Unbeknownst to Cerennhir I already had idea where this once great fiery ring could be empowered. Even though it meant returning to a place I did not have fond memories of. Lavastorm, the ashen wasteland dominated with volcanic activity, and religious zealots of Solusek Ro.

I set out to lavastorm early the next day, I would have to travel by ship for this part of my journey, as there were no active Ulterean Spires of teleportation, and no druid rings either. So this part of the expedition would be done the slow way. I chartered a ship from Freeport to Lavastorm.
    After many days of journeying, the great volcano and island of Lavastorm came into view. Once I landed I would make my way through this barren and ashen wasteland to the temple of Solusek Ro, the god of fire. If I can persuade one of the less devout priests to assist me, then it would be more efficient than coercing someone who is strong of faith.
    We made land fall at the docks, and I summoned a veil of invisibility and began the long trek to the temple high up on the slopes of the volcano, over narrow rocky bridges, where fiery death flowed beneath, past lizards and stranger creatures that made there home in this desolate, lifeless land.
    The sootfoot goblins that made their home on the slopes of the great volcano were easily avoided, there seemed more interested in mining precious ore than stopping anyone progress further. Nevertheless I gave them a wide birth in case my invisibility faulted whilst I was near them.
    Many hours had passed and I finally came upon the Temple of Solusek Ro, the entrance way surrounded by a moat of bubbling Lava, with a few large stepping stones protruding from the molten lake before me. I used these stones and nimbly made my way to the steps of the temple, past the oblivious guards and into the underground temple.
    I searched for sometime through the hallways and rooms of this stiflingly heat of the temple to the fire god. Eventually I dared to speak to a lone the priest, on a platform in the centre of the temple.
    I hailed the robed priest, but instead of calling the guards he replied, seemingly unconcerned by my presence. He introduced himself as Maelius Irenaeus and asked, "Have you come to purge your transgressions in the cleansing fires of Solusek Ro's great temple?"
    Feeling brash, I stepped boldly forward and showed him the ring in the palm of my hand and said, "Actually, I was wondering if you could take a look at this ring and restore the divine enchantment it once held."
    With Maelius Irenaeus’ curiosity piqued he spoke again "a curious trinket indeed. Already, I can see a base level of dynamism coursing through the band. Although... if you look carefully at these markings you can see that this band was once blessed by the Burning Prince!"
    "Can you place Solusek Ro's blessing upon this ring?" I asked the priest.
    Maelius replied, "Solusek Ro's blessing is not merely handed out to just anyone. A measure of worthiness must be demonstrated before such an invaluable gift is given out."
    I nodded in agreement and asked how can I prove my worthiness to Solusek Ro?
    "A demonstration of how passionate you are to receive his blessing should suffice. If you are able to stand up to Solusek Ro's great champion, Pyroklastanar, and defeat him, I will personally bless the ring in the name of the Burning Prince."
    "I will defeat Solusek's Champion and prove my worthiness!"
    Maelius Irenaeus says to you, "Very well. Let the challenge begin!"

The conjured champion was a lava construct with fiery magic at its disposal; the battle was short, brutal and inelegant. After the battle was over I picked myself off the stone floor, covered in smouldering rubble. Soot filled the air and my lungs burned from the heat. My robes were badly damaged and burned, but I was worse, bloody and burnt I picked myself up and stood defiantly in front of Maelius.

Maelius Irenaeus seemed impressed at my survival "Where others have faltered, you have prospered. Defeating Pyroklastanar is no easy undertaking. I congratulate you."
    Trying to regain some modicum of composure I thanked him and asked if he would bless the ring now?
    "Indeed, as you have certainly proved your worthiness. Please give me the ring."
    I passed forth the ring, and the priest took it into his palm closing his fingers around it. Energy crackled around his clenched fist as he uttered his blessing.
    "May Solusek Ro, son of Fennin Ro, master of the sun, arbiter of all magic bless this ring. May it burn always with the power of a thousands suns. In your name, we pray for your continual guidance and wisdom!"
    His prayers finished he passed the ring back to me, which now visibly radiated power.
    I thanked the Maelius, and he in turn bid me good day.
    Clutching the warm trinket I moved away and uttered a spell recalling. Arcane energy whirled about me as I traced my path home, to neriak once more, and located some magical healing potions before slipping into a deep slumber.

The next day came, my injuries tended too, I decided to make the trip to Maj’dul, in order to report my findings to the astronomer Jaestin Chaldean.

I soon found the sorcerer astronomer in the tower of the moon again, pouring over maps that displayed the layout and position of stars in the night sky. I was curious as to what he was doing, but did not wish to get sidetracked. I will come back another time to inquire about that I decided.

I hailed him to get his attention.
    Jaestin recalled my name immediately and inquired how the search to find the fate of Arendahr and Isilwen?"
    Not having the heart to tell him I had no interest in the two estranged lovers I said
    "I have found Cor Gollor ed'Lhach!"
    Jaestin Chaldean responded "Amazing. Simply amazing! Despite it being like a needle in a haystack... filled with iksars, dragons and who knows what else, you have managed to find Arendahr's ring. You do know what this means, right?"
    I looked at him quizzically.
    Jaestin Chaldean says to you, "Isilwen's ring must also exist! You must find it! Cor Per'Edhel ed'Hegel, the ring of frost is out there somewhere. Go now, and find it! Return to me when you do and we can try to learn more about the rings."

I left the over excited astronomer to go back to his work, as I had more work ahead of me too.