Defiler tips for someone returning

Discussion in 'Defiler' started by ARCHIVED-vetrose, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-vetrose Guest

Hi all I just returned to Eq2 after being gone for a year and half. My main is a level 70 defiler. I used to love this guy before I left. Seems harder to solo with him then I remember. I am trying to get up to speed with him before I start grouping so I dont get anyone killed lol. Any pointers anyone has for getting up to speed on him would be appreciated, especially on anything major that might have changed with the class since I left. Thanks much in advance for any tips.
  2. ARCHIVED-Gojirax Guest

Hmmm, not much response here huh?

If you are soloing I'd say get to level 72 and get some of the new Mastercrafted armor asap.
    Level up to 72 in Baron Sky and Bonemire since they don't hit nearly as hard as the stuff in Kylong plains (Kunark)

My AA spec is setup for Raiding, so I don't really know about soloing since I was a Mystic up until level 80 near the end of Kunark.
    I'd also suggest looking for gear with +spell damage and spell crit. For healing you will need to find gear with +Heal and Beneficial Alacrity. (This helps tremendously with our horrible cast times.)
    When I'm soloing my Moors daily quests I usually group ward myself (I have the Dogdog STR line spec for haste and wards etc.) then pull the mob with Malis (Send Dog after Malis lands), followed by soul cannibalize then impricate and I start to melee. I refresh single target ward if necessary then cast Fulginous Whip followed by impricate. Then I use my racial Tundra slam with it's 2 second stun/knockdown and either cast a ward or refresh malis.
    If an add starts to walk near and I know I'm going to be fighting multiples then I throw down defile and my little ward totem thing (I haven't memorized the names yet lol, just betrayed a few months ago) then I throw a single ward and cast pandemonium so I'm meleeing and dogdog is attacking while I do constant damage and heal/regen power. (You can also use your brocks thermal shocker and manastone while stiffled with Pandemonium... I don't quite have the AA's to remove the stiffle yet.)
    I have other procs and Mythical in there that I use, but those don't really apply to a general solo strat.
    Oh, and check the broker for a Tunic of Shadowed Songs. You should be able to find one for around 1 plat. It procs whenever you take damage and helps.
  3. ARCHIVED-FreddyRo Guest

vetrose wrote:
    Above response was good... nowadays you really need a solo/dps set of gear to do any appreciable damage.
    For AA, Int spec in the shaman tree (skip end ability)
    Learn to use fear (often overlooked). On pulls turns a 2 mob encounter into 1 mob, and allows you to debuff and land some blows in a 1-mob encounter before they even close.
    While your in Bonemire, make sure you do the questline to get those clickie-dps googles (Brock's Thermal as mentioned) for some fast damage. I still use mine at 80.
  4. ARCHIVED-vetrose Guest

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I will check them out. I did notice the Kunark mobs hit pretty hard I have been soloing there but not with ease lol.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kari Guest

Another way to get back into things is to pick someone up for a duo. I am sure there are plenty of dps out there that would be happy to partner up for the kunark quests. It would get you back into the swing of healing for another person and make the quests and the levels go much faster for both of you.
  6. ARCHIVED-Killakoala Guest

I'm currently about to return to the game (Left when DoF was release), I have a lvl50 Defiler but I'm unsure as to if I should stick with the class or re-roll (I was thinking Warden, or another priest class).
    Do defilers still have a strong roll with solo group healing and are accepted with ease, or do they suffer from quick power loss & direct heal issues. My main concern is I just want to be able to log on and get a group to heal without hassle.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kari Guest

Defilers are still a strong group healing class. It should be easier to find a group end game with a defiler than with a warden due to the large number of druids competing for groups. In my guild the druids typically complain that they have a hard time finding groups but I usually get tells for groups as I sign in.
    Power regen should not be a problem depending on your gear and your spec. There is a lot of power regen gear available and we also have the cannibalize aa line available.
    The weakest area we have atm is our low dps, which makes soloing very slow compared to other classes. However if your goal is to group that shouldn't be a big issue.