debating which priest to play

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Unlistedodin, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Unlistedodin New Member

Havn't played Eq2 since like 2005. Basically looking into which priest currently is needed. Don't really care about dmg output. Just seeing which kind of priest is most in need atm. I am down for any. Dunno about fury or warden though wasn't even interested in those 2 back in the day. Still prolly not. So temp,inquis,mystic, defiler, or channeler I think it was called.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Any well played priest is valued. If you want recommendations, you should give more feedback on your play style.
    Momo, Sigrdrifa and Blazen like this.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

There really isn't any such thing as any class that is needed more than any other. Individual guilds or groups of people may have specific needs, so your best bet is to find a group of people you want to adventure with and see if their group has a gap that you could fill. Otherwise, play what you enjoy. When you do that, you will be better at your class and a well played anything is the most wanted class in the game.
    Momo and Mermut like this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Any healer can solo or heal for a group. You just have to learn your class and bigawd CURE. Raids may have more specific needs, but generally need a mix of the various types of healers.

As Mermut said, we'd need to know more about your preferred playstyle to be able to be more specific. Do you want to solo a lot? Will you be looking to raid? Do you have a preference as to whether you'd prefer plate, chain, or leather armor? Do you have roleplay reasons about being a healer? etc.
    Momo likes this.
  5. Clintsat Well-Known Member

The short answer is that you can't go wrong with Defiler, Templar or Mystic. Wardens, Furies and Channelers are a bit tougher from a playstyle perspective but have some unique advantages. I play a Fury.

I wouldn't recommend inquisitor unless the meta changes.
  6. Unlistedodin New Member

As far as progress goes i'm down for anything from soloing to raiding or anything in a group.
    I was looking at defiler and mystic heard they have long cast times though. Back in 2005 I had a templar which was slow and painful not sure how good they are now adays.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Templars, Inquisitors, Mystics and Defilers all have slowish cast times. Good news, you can improve your casting speed via equipment, reforging, adornments, and so on.

Mystics have AA that allows them to use quick Combat Arts instead of their slower damage spells. Also, you cycle your wards, put them up and refresh them as needed, so they don't need to be super fast. Regular heals aren't too slow.
    Alyndrys likes this.
  8. Alyndrys Well-Known Member

I mostly solo play and for this playstyle I love and play mostly my warden and fury, mystic is too slow for me and can't play my Templar she is even slower. Never played defiler or inquisitor and Channeler I am still trying to figure that one out :p I can't speak for group healers though :(
  9. Unlistedodin New Member

Gonna give defiler a go.
  10. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Defilers are awesome in upper levels I think you will really enjoy it.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

Be careful with the shaman (especially the mystic).. they're going to be significantly different to play (at lvl 100+) once the Chaos Descending comes out. Bleedthrough is being changed... stacking wards will no longer 'layer' and aborb what bleeds through the first ward. If it's 50% bleedhthrough, then 50% will get through.. no matter how big, or how many.. ward you've got up.
    Unless things change during beta... expect to be spamming your group heal every time it is up and using lots of pt heals as well.
  12. Unlistedodin New Member

Right on. Does anyone have any updated guides on where I should be throwing points. Seeing all these different tabs and no idea where to put what xD
  13. Travo5000 New Member

I am curious as to why there are so many more Defilers than Mystics currently?

Any insight on what changes are happening to Shamans in beta for next expac would be very welcome also!
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

Because, in PoP, defilers have a much easier time dealing with bleedthrough because of maelstrom and nightmares and defilers also do more dps the mystics, so they're faster to solo

Wards don't stack for bleedthrough any more. This seriously reduces the usefulness of say, putting a point ward on the tank and having the group ward up. Or having your group ward up and soul shackle. It also means that if the mob has 50% bleedthrough, then no matter how many ward you have up on a target, 50% of the damage will get through and you'll have to heal it directly.
    Defilers have maelstrom and nightmares to help with that, but mystics are limited pretty much to their 1 single target heal and their 1 group heal.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Only if the mystic has no AA and little understanding of their class.
    • Umbral Warding is the mystic's basic group ward. AA in the Shadows tree adds a group heal on termination of the ward. It's replaced by the Prestige tree AA Umbral Barrier, which can be cast on the move, and has a big group heal on termination.

• Wards of the Eidolon is the mystic's emergency instant group ward.

• Runic Armor is a group ward that also boosts max health and MIT.

• Soul Shackle, from the Mystic Prestige AA tree, does a regenerating group ward, debuffs the enemy, and boosts group ABMod.

• Ancestral Ward is the mystic's basic single-target ward.

• Eidolic Ward is the mystic's emergency instant single-target ward.

• Oberon is a regenerating single-target ward.

• Transcendance is the mystic's basic group heal, also increases max health.

• From the Shaman AA tree, mystics have Ancestral Channeling, which does a good group heal plus group HOT.

• Ritual Healing and Rejuvenation are the mystic's basic single target direct heals, both increase max health as well.

• Torpor is a single-target regenerating ward and a HOT, used on non-tanks because it reduces hate.

• Lunar Attendant does a short group HOT.

• From the Shaman AA tree, my mystic has 10 points in Ritual, which boosts your next ward or heal by 36%, and I have it macroed to all my heals and wards.
    The big difference between mystics and defilers is that mystics get to replace their offensive spells with combat arts via AA. This also means you really need to stand where you can hit the mob with your CAs, because your AA is going to proc assorted healing and curing effects from your hits, and your dog should also be attacking because it procs wards and cures.
    Pixistik likes this.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

Extra health does nothing to help heal damage that is constantly getting through wards. Being 'required' to constantly cast grp heals on individuals is a huge change to how healing works.. for ANY healer class.
    Extra wards (point or group) are not helpful in this situation, where multiple wards on the same person do NOTHING to help keep the alive unless the first ward is too small to take all of the wardable damage..
    Ancestral Channeling is a solid heal.. but it is short duration and long recast..... very little help against damage constantly gong through wards.
    Lunar Attendant is, unfortunately, subject to being killed and, again, up for less then 1/2 the time.