Damage from Crafting? When did this start?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by redwoodtreesprite, Dec 11, 2017.

1. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Been over a year since I last played much. I have been doing lots of Frostfell crafting, doing the Frostfell Decoration quest. And my characters have been taking a lot of damage when I fail to click the buttons in time.

When did this start?
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

I think it started when crafting was first released in eq2?
  3. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

You haven't crafted much if you haven't been killed by the Forge.
    Rhodris likes this.
  4. Cuedywene Member

Pretty much, back in the day, before stats became inflated, my newb Illy would get damaged by the woodworking table. That thing could kick like a mule. It helped keep crafting interesting that's for sure.
  5. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I don't remember ever getting knocked down to almost half by one fail...
  6. Meirril Well-Known Member

Most of the damage from crafting was removed around LU 25? 31? Fairly early in EQ2's history. Domino brought it back for "special" crafting, which included some frostfell crafting.

There is also "lethal" reaction arts for some quest crafting. As the name implies, missing a lethal reaction will kill the crafter. Make sure you take quest crafting very seriously, especially when you're working on major tradeskill quests.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Its been in since launch as far as I know. I died to that darn forge I do not know how many times.

Cyrrena
  8. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

It was not uncommon to see piles of bodies stacked around the forge....
    Cyrrena likes this.
  9. Tekka Well-Known Member

I remember gleeful snickers as the bodies (usually naked, because of how the power regen was calculated) piled up around the homicidal forge, while I stood at the stove and just watched my bars move and hoped for the best - since the provie reaction arts weren't 'plugged in' for a while at the beginning.

Over the years max health/power, health/power regen along with ever increasing food buffs have made the damage from crafting stations negligible except for special circumstances - or when a recipe is much higher level than your crafter level.

Were the characters in question crafting red recipes?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

A long, long time ago, crafting could kill you if you messed up.

Used to be one of the best entertaining reasons for being in the tradeskill instances:)
    Rhodris, The_Real_Wurm and Tekka like this.
  11. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

Nude Crafting in The Willow Woods, those were the days...
    Tekka likes this.
  12. Finora Well-Known Member

It's been there since launch, though most combines do minimal damage these days since the update described above. You'll only encounter real damage on certain combines.
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. Meirril Well-Known Member

A long, long time ago the first time the devs released stats the Forge was the mob with the most kills. Exquisite Chest was number 2.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I loved those days and that is when you had to retrieve your corpse or lose your stuff. Seems the AFK macroers never got the message as you would watch them stand there and die to the forge and then their corpse would disappear because they weren't there to retrieve it. Good times were had by all.

Cyrrena
  15. Antz Member

So, (newbie here though level 25), I died once trying to craft my first Frostfell item. (Couldn't really play EQ over Christmas break much so yeah just got to Wonderland Village a day ago). Anyway, does this mean a level 25 can't craft any of those Frostfell items (they all seem to be level 70 crafting).

I don't mind not doing them, I'm a very casual player, just curious!

TIA :)
  16. Kethryl Active Member

You absolutely can, it just takes careful monitoring of your crafting progress. Missing multiple counters, especially on a lower-level character, can be deadly. Take your time, and make sure you're reacting correctly during the crafting stages.
  17. Antz Member

Ah, thanks!