D3D device error on fullscreen

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by p0hp0h, Nov 24, 2012.

1. p0hp0h New Member

Issue:
    I get this general error:
    [IMG]
    "EverQuest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown."
    If i start the everquest2.exe client in fullscreen mode it says this:
    "Failed to create a D3D device ffor ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series"
    If i start the everquest2.exe client in window mode and then go fullscreen it does not have this line.

Steps taken
    • completely uninstalled ATI drivers, redownloaded them and installed them (they where the same version)
    • downloaded the full install of direct x and reinstalled (some files where updated)
    • ran full system scan of eq2 files (no files where patched/replaced)
    • removed and regenorated all ini files in eq2 dir except launchpad.ini
    • removed cache and char setting files restarted client
    Details:
    • windows xp home sp3 and direct x 9c and streaming client
    • Graphics ChipsetATI Radeon HD 4800 Series PCI Express 2.0
    • Catalystâ„¢ Version12.6
    • Driver Version8.97.100.3-120703a-142837C-ATI
    • four core 3gb ram dual display, lcd and tv, eq2 on tv 720p
    Little background, bit of a rant. Had eq2 running on LCD screen with W1943 connection at 1280x768. ****** fps, moved to VGA connected flat screen at 1280x768, got like 20 more fps. Then i was like, HD is a good idea. So i got a HDMI cable and plugged the flatscreen into that. This is when the trouble started. Fullscreen 720p on flatscreen with HDMI produces this error on XP.
    *NOTE* I had windows 7 installed on this computer at a prior date running eq2 on same flatscreen with HDMI connection at 720p.*
    *NOTE2* I can set the resolution in the eq2_recent.ini file to 1280x720 and it runs like fullscreen(fake as it's really just windowed but filling screen), but ****** fps.*
    halp plox, thnx
    pohpoh
    :(;):)

*EDIT* PS. If i set my primary monitor from the flat screen to the lcd as the primary device, it'll go fullscreen with out error.
    PPS. I can provide dxdiag output and maybe eq error log or something.. what ever you need
    PPPS. Copied the three direct x files to the directory, but they where already there and the same size, so i overwrote them and reran the client. Same thing.
  2. p0hp0h New Member

3. p0hp0h New Member

4. p0hp0h New Member

Well, i have made a small amount of head way. For some reason, if i have my monitor set to disallow resolutions that are not supported.. it sets it to like some crazy low resolution and doesn't allow me to change it (this is in the display menu of xp). But, if i leave it at this low resolution and start eq2 it will load fullscreen. But only a portion of the screen is visible. But if i use the ati menu program to force a desktop resolution or set the option to allow all resolutions and select 720p, eq2 crashes...guess imma try to downgrade the display drivers from 12.6 to 11.2 and see what that does... i think it is a problem in the xp display no figuring out the allowed resolutions.
  5. p0hp0h New Member

well that didn't work, but i got a little bit more info. It did the same thing, but i found that with this driver and the flat screen disabled i can see all of the resolutions... and it would let me select one and apply it when i enabled the monitor. But the game still crashed when it started.
  6. p0hp0h New Member

7. Detor Active Member

When you say you can manually set the resolution are you setting it using this:
    cl_screenwidth_windowed 1024
    cl_screenheight_windowed 768

Or are you setting it using this:
    cl_fullscreen true
    cl_screenwidth 1920
    cl_screenheight 1080
    cl_screenrefresh 60
  8. p0hp0h New Member

yeah i'm doing that, but if i set cl_fullscreen to true it produces that error. What i meant by manually in that context was that i was setting the resolution to the same as the desktop and then turning on windows mode. This would fill up the screen and not show the window title bar, and be like a sort of fake fullscreen, with less fps.
    Side note, I have fixed the problem by upgrading to Windows 8.
    Thanks for the help!
    pohpoh
  9. Edrickx Member

I had the same problem for a few weeks now, tried about everything to no avail. I think I found it tonight, open your eq2 folder and find the station launcher application, right click and select "properties", within the properties menu click the "compatibility" tab. From the drop down window select "Windows XP SP3" and apply. Rerun application with privileges and it should work.
  10. Jjeorge Member

Having this issue today. Tried reinstalling DirectX, was already up to date.

When I went to try the solution listed above, I found no 'compatibility' tab in the properties. :(
  11. Reivalyn New Member

I have built a utility that removes the title bar and border from the game window and resizes it to the dimensions of your screen, so it looks just like fullscreen mode but is actually still windowed mode.

http://www.eq2interface.com/downloads/info5106-MakeWindowFullscreen.html

I built this because I don't like running the game in fullscreen mode due to the annoying delay when I want to switch to a different application, such as a web browser, but I still wanted the game to fill my screen without the titlebar and border. It sounds like this utility might help in your situation as well.