Currency...it's madness, sheer madness.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by kingmob23, Jun 17, 2019.

1. kingmob23 Well-Known Member

As a returning player (well several months now) aside from all the usual complaints about adorns, how to create upgrades for ascension spells etc, another major hurdle was figuring out all the different currencies, where you could use them, why you would bother because in the under 110 level by the time you obtained anywhere near enough of the currency from one random faction by grinding repeatables, the gear would be trivial unless you level locked.
    Every faction has a different currency/token. The amount it takes to get anything is way out of line for pre-end game gear. I log into my main and he has 29 random types of currency and tokens, and not all heirloom. Passed the hierloom ones down, and the toon I'm grinding for my second main doesn't have enough to get level appropriate gear. So passed those and the second round earned and now my 3rd character has enough shards to get half a set of gear for mid 80 level. A day later it's obsolete.

On top of needing all these zillions of types of tokens etc, you usually have a max out the faction grind to go along with it...
    There really needs to be a condensing of some of them. Make them one currency per tier. Or pre-end game do things by status and faction you've earned.

Even in PoP there's some cool looking heroic gear and upgrades. I imagine when that expansion was endgame it was cool. But now with the grind to get it, it's utterly worthless considering what you need to get it.
    Or as you level up allow stacks of old currency to be exchanged for smaller amounts of the next tiers currency. There's been a ton of effort put into creating this gear throughout the game and nobody bothers because it's absurd to get. If the servers were high pop and people doing the pre-CD stuff, it would be a different story. But we aren't working with high pop servers.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

I wish it was all on one currency standard. I hate having so many different currencies; but the players would just buy out everything in a week with the economy as it is now.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

They need a currency conversion system where you can convert all non-current currencies to one standard heirloom currency you can use to buy gear from any of the previous expansion's merchants.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Thought they did that with the little merchant in Butcherblock, but that was a waste of time. Nothing of value or interest and think the player base threw up their hands years ago. Think even Sony/DBG forgot about him. He was over in the merchant tents on the dock near the adorning/tinkering merchants. The idea is sound and would simply things. Same currency system in Norrath. What a concept!!
    Seefar likes this.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

I can understand not having the newest gear obtainable with previously existing currency, you want players to complete the new content to get the new loot. Once the new expac hits, relegate the previous expac's loot to the legacy currency and and convert any remaining currency automatically.
    Jaden and Rhodris like this.
  6. Avithax Well-Known Member

Welcome back!
  7. kingmob23 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Or even just do standard currency by tiers, and allow trading them up. Like 100 T5 tokens=5 Tier6 tokens and so forth.
    Either way it needs to be simplified in some way. I fully agree that with new/current expansions it should have a unique system and the varieties of things you need will vary drastically and take varying amounts of work to earn.
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

When a game bug was left for 6 months in Terrors of Thalumbra allowing players to acquire millions of plat, something should have been done. Instead, currency just completely exploded into its current state. Last time I logged in I had like 100k plat which was, at the time, a fair amount. Now you probably can't even use the mender for that. Currency is the elephant in the room that the EQ2 team has been pretending is not there for going on 4 years.
    Soara2, kingmob23, Lateana and 2 others like this.