Creating a new Scout

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Ivory, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Ivory Member

I am wanting to make a new scout but am unsure as to which one to create. This will be mainly a solo/molo leveling character. But I want to have the option to group if the opportunity arises. This character will not be P/L'ed. I honestly do not have the time to dedicate to raiding at this time. I am more interested in running as many quests and low level dungeons as possible. With that said I am not total against the B/L but it would not be my first choice. So here's a few questions that hopefully you can give your opinions on:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each class regarding solo and group content?

Which class would you recommend for this type of game play?

What type of Merc would you recommend? Tank or Healer?

If at some future time I had the time to dedicate to raiding, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of your recommendation?

I am well aware that these will be opinions. Just looking for other people perspectives before making my final decision. I have tried out a few classes but haven't really found the "right" one yet.
  2. Aran Anar Active Member

Hi i know you posted this 12 days ago hopefully you see my responce. You answer my posts with nice advice so ill try do the same :D If you like make one on Antonious Bayle my guild can use all the help it can get. Well so far i played a Brig to level 50 a Swashbuckler to level 40, still working on him and a Assassin to level 90.

First thing i ran across was i wanted to be a Swash type rogue but i wanted to be in neriak. Game not let you start a swash there so i did the exile thing. Nice cave in darklight woods that leads to alot of zones, small fast travel, but no citys i can use no titles no free horse, but still as a swash if i want neriak id have to change to brig. Only way seem to do it was to start as a brig then change to swash. I am still trying to figure out a way to get neriak merchant npc to sell to a swash. Maybe there some npc's i can kill in game give me enriak faction ill post it when i find it. Strange..... the freeport evil city faction has "Seafurry Buckonerrs" a pirate faction but swashbuckler attacked by freeport guards, me think someone made big brain faart here and messed up :confused:

From what you posted i would recomend a bard or swash- can do dirge or troub. Bards are great in groups and they can solo about best in the game. If playing songs and being a hybrid not your thing if you want to go full rogue or scout heres something to think on.

Here is one way to pick a scout class, what do you like most about scout class? Is it the ability to be sneaky and pickpocket and disarm traps? Is it that they are good with a bow? Do you want to throw wepons for a change? Is tracking mobs or ability to attack for good damage from behind what you like. Is it that they can debuff mobs or be like a tank in a group if needed? Pick out what you like from scouts and pick the scout that does it the best. Write that down and go from that. I will list each scout here and list what i have learned about game what they do best.

You want a scout that can can solo good with but also be needed in groups. You say your not going to power level or raid so that means exploring and taking your time and questing.

To play a good or evil scout would be first question.

Swashbuckler has to start in good city, like Qeynos, and Brig has to start in evil city like freeport. I dont know about Dirge or Troub but i would guess dirge is evil and troub is good. Ranger and Assasin can pick any city to start in. Myself i really dont recommend New Halos for starting place, but you do get nice green rug from quests.

Pick a city you want to do your quests in. Maybe pick one you never done to see different things. That help you decide some. My favorite starting city is Neriak and Darklight Woods, you get a nice black horse free from quests and you get good house items in Neriak. I made my Swash to see the other citys, started in Greater Faydark. Wich one do you like or have not seen yet ? I do know there are lot of good quests in freeport and dungeons under the city, same with qeynos, can start there also.

Right off ill say to solo with a Assassin is very hard. All there attack are from behind and they get only 2 stuns in game. There damage is amazing but with no merc to taunt solo gets tough. In a group the class is only one thing ..... FUN AS CAN BE IT ROCKS!! I love it groups pulls mobs they turn and i hit a few buttons they fall over. Every atto attac i get in 6 hits for every 1 attack every one of my attacks crit 100% My assassinate skill wich is a stealth attack maxed out for at over 180k damage and i dont have master of it yet. Most sneaky class by far, very low defence very high offence. Bow damage gets very good also. Another fun part of the assassin is it AA tree, i can change my assassin around to do differant roles by changing the spec. Mostly with him i went for biggest 1 hit damage i could then worry about flurry. Solo tough but if i can sneak up on named and hit from behind the fight is over.. i win before i start. :) That the fun part of the class, picking out targets and comming up with a plan. Large groups at once are very hard for assassin, at least at lv 90. I was able to solo Charsis, and part of sebilis but mostly on 3x heroic i get beat pretty bad. Maybe if i add in a Shadowknight or Templar merc it go better.

Ranger i never played but looks like a fun class. The ranger looks to be great at one on one type fights and his bow damage is top of the game. Easy able to "One Shot" Mobs in heroic dungeon, i have grouped with rangers that say they can solo very well. Most seem to go with a templar merc, i have seen or one best geared ranger had a dirge merc and simple ran thew the lv 90 zones. They great in groups and have a little more to give a group than assassin with more choice for buffs but on down side really cant tank as well. They all bows and range and much better if monster is at a distance.

Swashbuckler and brig ill put together here they very close to same clas but Brig has more stuns and ALOT more debuffs. They very skill heavy i used 5 toolbars for brig to hold all my skills and that was only level 50. The brig seems to be the better solo class due to a good stun he has that swash doesnt, a stun that makes it so monster can not change direction. From sneak with brig i was able to get off every single sneak attack, he has over 6 of them, with out the mob in game turning around or hitting me at all. You want the AA skill "walk the plank" it forces mob to turn away from you and it works on heroic bosses both swashy and brig get it. I guess to pick one out decide what city you want to explore more... Freeport or Qeynos. What look do you like more a pirate look or a brig look. You can AA spec a Swash to be the better Theif type and AA a Brig to be the better tank or Blackguard. Both fun i like the swash better im making one that is a Swash in freeport......home city greater faydark, hard to do, i sneak around and "Hail" Npc's for quests and have a house there from my assassin that i got trustee acess to. Guards over my level attack but i sneak by them.. If you pick one of these get the Agility line of AA maxed out you get pirate title and a very good reduce reuse time on abilitys and spedd up casting on abilitys, makes huge differance.

I know little of beastmasters other than they seem to be good in groups but very pet heavy. Alot of people say or have posted they solo like crazy but i never seen it, not much i can advise there.

From your post my pick would be a nice Swashbuckler. Able to solo and able to do well in groups it would all come down to the AA spec. A fun one is the sneaky thief type with throwing wepons for something differant. Right now im making a pirate but might redo his AA later. Have fun and if you ever on Antonious Bayle server send me a tell in game i got a good guild spot for you :D
  3. Antiarin New Member

As someone who is new to game and thinking of making a scout, thanks for all the info.
  4. Brienae Active Member

I don't know if you are still in need of opinions but here are mine. I have a 95 Troubador my main, a 95 Dirge and a 60 Brigand. The Troubador and the Dirge can start anywhere. Both of my bards are good aligned. As mentioned previously the Brigand must be evil. As those are my only scouts that I've spent time on they are the only ones I feel confident answering your questions about.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each class regarding solo and group content?
    Both the Troubador and the Dirge have few position dependent abilities which is an advantage when soloing. The disadvantage in soloing is they don't hit very hard. Because their attacks don't do a lot of damage soloing can go very slow.
    The Brigand on the other hand hits a bit harder and so things die quicker if you are behind the mob. The disadvantage to the Brigand is they must be behind the mob for most of their attacks for one they must be flanking or in front so this means you have to move.
    As for grouping Bards are highly prized in groups because they allow others to do more damage (hence they do less as a trade-off.) Generally Troubadors buff mages and Dirges buff Melee, but they can both aid any group just fine.
    As for the Brigand... I'm really not sure. I have not grouped with my Brigand and I have not seen many brigands around.

Which class would you recommend for this type of game play?
    As you are wanting to solo primarily I would not highly suggest a Bard. Bards are more fun in a group. On the other hand if you would like to group on occasion then either Bard would be welcomed. I think the Brigand with a Merc would be better or any of the pure dps classes if you just want to solo.

What type of Merc would you recommend? Tank or Healer?
    I would suggest a tank if you go with a dps scout. A tank can help you back stab.

If at some future time I had the time to dedicate to raiding, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of your recommendation?
    I haven't seen many Brigands online lately, but any dps class should be able to get into a raid. Some have more utility than others like I think Swashbucklers and Assassins get a hate transfer. You would almost be guaranteed a raid spot if you were playing a Bard.
  5. Silzin Active Member

the only scout i have is a 95 Beastlord, i also have a 95 Monk (My Main), Inq and Coercer. of all of my toons my monk can solo the best, but after that the BL is just as good at soloing as my Inq. My BL i stay Speritual Stance and i can solo heal some group zones if i needed to. Not tryed it yet tho. BL's can be very strong soloing or moloing. there Speritual Stance can be dont all from in front of the mob so it helps if your tank/merk is not turning the mob. since they are so versital with there heal/power stance and there Single target dps stance they are very liked for groups and raids also. If you do go Beastlord get and level up as meny warders as you can as you go.