Crashing to Desktop Fix for me!! For you too?

Discussion in 'Performance Support' started by ARCHIVED-vertaunt, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-vertaunt Guest

Hey all,
    7/11/08 - I experienced issue of crashing straight to desktop without any error messages. This would be anywhere between instantly as I saw in game, or up to 3-5 mins. This was not related to a third party UI because I play old school.
    Steps I took ( Didn't Fix but things you can always try )
    - Deleted all my UI's
    - Renamed EQ2.exe and repatched
    - Updated all Drivers - Vid, Sound
    - Cleared Cache from folders
    - RE-INSTALLED EQ2
    - Screamed when it didn't work.....
    OK, So I am pretty knowledgable about PC stuff and networking. This is what actually fixed it for me. I have Comcast as a ISP. ( I work for them as a Maintenance Tech in the field )
    I know comcast gives dynamic IP address's and can almost be considered static because of the longevity of keeping a specific IP/Gateway. Anyhow. When working with a modem. The modem syncs up and gets assigned an IP. The MAC address of a network card or Router can determine what the DHCP server spits out and assigns. So.. normally if you lets say get a new computer and you move the ehternet to the new machine. It will take a Power Cycle of the modem ( Reset ) to get a good working IP. This is because the MAC address of the new NIC ( Network Interface Card ) is obviously different from your old PC and the modem will not surf. This is where the rest or power cycle of the modem takes effect.
    Knowing this information. I decided to try getting a New IP/Gateway on this theory. Linksys routers have an option to "Clone" MAC address. This will allow the Router to Clone the MAC address of the computer's NIC, or any other mac # you should decide to punch in. I never cloned my MAC from my machine when I originally got my router. I just did the easy power cycle and got the modem to see the routers original MAC address and was able to be online from that point. With this Crashing problem I just went into the settings of the Router and "Cloned" my PC's NIC. I reset my Modem so it would see the new MAC address and BAM.. got a whole new IP/Gateway... The DNS doesn't change but that doesn't mattter. Long story short this has fixxed my problem. I wanted to write this fix out in detail for people in the same boat I was. I was trolling these forums looking for any help and found very little. Unfortunately I would not know any easy fix for a person on a stand alone machine other than calling customer service which would probably be more of a headache to try to convince them to get you new IP than it would be to go spend 5 dollars on a new NIC and instal it for the the MAC or Go get yourself a router. It's nice to have a Hardware Firewall nowadays anyhow.

Hopefully this will be able to help

I play through a Linksys Router N class. I know all Linksys's have a clone option. Netgears do too I believe. Please no Flames on this post. I am just trying to give out any advice that could possibly help
    Vertkill - 80 Swash, Vertaunt - 80 Guardian, Beefyjones 80 Bruiser, Nedraw 80 Warden, Mental 80 Illy.
    Baazar Server - Member of Dark Horizon