CPU Usage after Patch 28 on dual core

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Deworm, Oct 5, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

On duel core AMD 4400X2

I noticed That after Update 28 EQ2 is only using 1 core of my system and this has slowed my fps. Has anybody else with dual core noticed the same?
    Message Edited by Deworm on 10-05-2006 01:02 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Kemwen Guest

The game was effectively only using 1 CPU to begin with. Your FPS loss isn't attributed to the forced limitation to one core, because you were always only using 1 core to begin with.
  3. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanT Guest

Hello Deworm,

Have you tried using AMD's dual core optimizer? It's been known to fix many of the issues that might arise while using a dual core system.

You can find it here

Use that program and see if it helps at all. If it's still giving you trouble come back and post here again.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
  4. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

I do have the Driver from AMD installed But after update 28 the CPU is being utilized in a different way.
  5. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanT Guest

Well this isn't exactly a driver. Have you used the program I posted before?

Like I said it's known to fix almost every issue with dual core.

If you have used it that's good, I'd just like to be sure.
  6. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

The program that I have installed is AMD Dual-Core Optimizer is this the 1 you where taking about? The reason I thought it was a driver is when installing part of the process installed a 32 bit device driver.

In responce to Kemwen The program is not designed to use Duel core but it was using both cores before update 28, I have a program running on my G15 keyboard and it monitors Ram use And CPU usage after the update EQ2 only used 1 core, before update it was using both.
  7. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanT Guest

What kind of video card do you have, and do you have any type of anti virus or firewall software installed?
  8. ARCHIVED-Kemwen Guest

Deworm:

Whether you think so or not, it *wasn't* using both cores. Just because they both showed checked in Processor Affinity doesn't mean they were using both (the game can't use both, it's not multithreaded..it's really that simple).

Effectively speaking, from your point of view, nothing has changed.

And for God's sakes..it's dual, not duel..your CPUs aren't fighting each other.
    Message Edited by Kemwen on 10-05-2006 11:13 AM
  9. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

I have 7600GT"s setup in SLI mode. and my firewall and antivirus is Trend micro PC-cillin but I turn them off will I play EQ2. I have run The Game In SLI and With A single GPU but there Is only a slight peformance Gain in SLI.

Thanks for your time.
  10. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

In response to Kemwen I Know what you are saying I am just reporting what is happening on my computer with EQ2 and as for my mistake in spelling what does that have to do with anything?
  11. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanT Guest

Unfortunately we do not support SLI cards, however I would recommend you have the latest version of the drivers for them.

Make sure you do, make sure you uninstall the set you have installed first. Make sure you delete profiles and then install the new ones, or even reinstall the ones you have now.
  12. ARCHIVED-Debunkt Guest

Deworm,
    What program are you using or how are you monitoring your FPS?

TSR-DanT,
    Your response seems to shoot SOE in the foot. The game was developed to push current hardware to the limits and even take advantage of hardware that wasn't available at launch. Now that the hardware, like SLI and dual-core, are available SOE doesn't support it.... uh, what?
    Does this mean SOE isn't working on updating the game to work better with this new hardware? Or, is it strictly the hardware's fault (development needs to happen on that side)?
  13. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanT Guest

No where did I imply that we were not working on updating the game to work with the current and developing hardware. Of course we are, however at this time SLI is not supported in our games.

That does not mean that it never will be supported, only that it's not at the moment.
  14. ARCHIVED-Amon-Rah Guest

Instead of wasting time rewriting the particulars here's what I attempted to post in another thread about Nvidia specific stuttering.

1. A time/date that the issue started.
    10-4-06 After world update.
    2. The zone(s) that the issue occurs in normally.
    See below. FPS essentially cut in half with the 10-4-06 patch.

3. What processor your system has.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

4. How much memory (RAM) your system has.
    2 gb

5. What video card your system has.
    Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2 (set in multi-gpu / single display mode)

Was in game up to the last bell before servers down and all ran as usual. Immediately noted graphical/performance differences on logging in after servers back up.

Primary toon is a barbarian male with the braid hairstyle, hair is now cut short at the collar, as in the braid is missing just as if I was on lower performance settings. Logged out in West Freeport where I maintain a FPS rate of 40, post update that zone and all of Freeport is now sitting around 20 FPS with shuttering in every zone I travel to. Performance severely degraded to the point I adjusted settings from Very High Quality to High Quality just to get my FPS back up over 40. Still have the short hair though and haircut/shave at the character screen does nothing to fix the issue.

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard that allows me to monitor CPU and RAM usage. I had previously installed the M$ hotfix and registry change to allow Win XP Pro to make optimal use of the dual core processor and the keyboard monitor showed both cores being utilized during gameplay. As of yesterday though it now shows 1 core being kept at max usage (50 %) while the other sits idle.

Is the stuttering graphical or simply performance based ? Whatever was changed yesterday needs a QA check.

As for the poster at the top saying that both cores were never being used -- I have two different ways of monitoring system hardware usage and when I have both cores showing heaving processing activity along with a higher usage of system RAM (hardware on par with each other prevents bottlenecking) prior to a world software update then all of a sudden post update I have a single core being pushed to it's limit while the second sits completely idle and system RAM usage drops by almost 30% there is certainly a change in how the software is making use of the client hardware.
  15. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

The program that I use to monitor my frame rate is called Fraps If you have a G15 Logitech keyboard you can monitor cpu, memory ,FPS, teamspeak, On the LCD on the keyboard. Fraps will also show FPS in the corner while playing the game on regular monitor.
  16. ARCHIVED-Amon-Rah Guest

I use Fraps also, that's how I know the exact changes in FPS. 40 ---> 20 standing in the same spot with just an update, something certainly took a hit with that patch.
  17. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

Thank you Amon-rah For confirming what I have also noticed that since update 28 1 core is used 100% and the other sit there doing nothing. This was not the case before the update. Something in the EQ2 software has changed...
  18. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

In response to SLI is not supported by TSR-DanT

Ok I tried turning off SLI but that has no effect. 1 Core of the CPU being 100% utilized while the other core is not being used at all I also have the latest drivers installed for my video cards.

Do you have any other Ideas?

Thanks.
  19. ARCHIVED-Tebos Guest

In response to SLI is not supported by TSR-DanT

Ok I tried turning off SLI but that has no effect. 1 Core of the CPU being 100% utilized while the other core is not being used at all I also have the latest drivers installed for my video cards.

Do you have any other Ideas?

Re-install the AMD optimizer again.
  20. ARCHIVED-Deworm Guest

I reinstalled the AMD optimizer right right after TSR-DanT asked if I was using the program.