Constructing a New Nexus(Spoilers)

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Foolsfolly, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Foolsfolly Guest

The Erudites have established a manner of contact with Luclin in the past, without the use of the spires. Remember how we ended up with Vah`Shir?
    We know that they have been working on some big project. They have had a lot of time to study their original experiment and possibly try to reproduce it. They could well have learned to travel to other worlds without spires or circles.
    The oily black substance was created through means which we do not understand, and we know very little about it beyond the fact that it's teleportation-enhancing powers are beyond anything else we've found on norrath. It is entirely possible that this artifact may have been created strong enough to withstand any explosion, and that it could be up there just waiting for us to come harness it's power again.
    I realize it's not very likely...I'm just saying that the possibility is there, that they could be attempting to rebuild the Nexus in Luclin.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mirander_1 Guest

Foolsfolly wrote:
    Well, that wasn't exactly teleportation, that was blasting their city off the face of Norrath and having it smash into Luclin big-fiery-comet style.
  3. ARCHIVED-teddyboy420 Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    The Nexus was indeed the Nexus before the Combine ported themselves up there, just as the spires were around before they starting using them. As I said earlier, the Combine were the ones that built the structures in the room that they named the Nexus, but I believe the power behind it was there way before they arrived. Many people, both residents of Norrath and of Earth, give credit for the building of the spires and The Nexus to the Combine Empire, but they weren't responsible for either. They were just the last users of these places, so people gave them credit for their design and building, although I think it was most likely the Shissar, but I have a feeling it wasn't and that someone else built it all before even they were on the scene.
    Also, I don't think the sphere (which was actually simply called a "large black sphere of swirling mist" in the SoL manual, in the story which relates the poisoning of Tsaph Katta, and all that) was simply an object that drew them there, I think that was the power behind the Nexus itself, and likely the whole spire network, but I doubt we're likely to get confirmation one way or the other on that at this point.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Eandiil@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Maybe I'm the only one who's thinking this, but I think you folks are thinking that the black substance is the Nexus itself.
    We really do not know what it is or what it's called. We know that it's the reason why they were ported there, so thats why you call the substance itself "The Nexus". We don't know what this stuff is, so in a manner of speaking, the Nexus didn't exist until they created it after they ported there.
  5. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    I, for one, do not think the substance is called the Nexus.
    I do believe the substance is the power behind the Nexus and therefore is of a signficance. The Erudites see it that way. Whatever they had build ... they can give it any name imaginable if they care to ... the power is what they are seeking to recreate. Then the new "Nexus" has a function, not a simply a room or a chamber.
    On yet another subject, the goddess Luclin is still one of the pantheon. She is not an exception. When the Tome of Destiny said virtually all the gods are present at the council ... that mean all of them - barring some deaths or fading away.
  6. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    I just always assumed luclinite was the same substance as the dark shimmering material in the Nexus.
  7. ARCHIVED-Foolsfolly Guest

Mirander@Unrest wrote:
    The colorful descriptions of the event might have you believe such, but think about it. Could any kerrans have really survived a trip through the vacuum of space, and the subsequent smashing into a planet? And not just a few kerrans, enough to breed a whole new subspecies.
    I think we have to assume that "blast" and "smash" are actually just descriptive words that were really describing a slightly less steady form of traditional teleportation.
  8. ARCHIVED-Homeskillet Guest

No, they seriously rode a chunk of Norrath to the moon and crashed into it. Granted, it was a magical explosion and that had to somehow shelter them, or Kerran shaman enacted something quickly to protect themselves. Either way it was not teleportation, it was not deliberate. They got caught in the use of a catastrophic weapon and Luclin is where they ended up.
  9. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Yeah, a Laser of some sort blasted/transported them to Luclin. We don't know which side did it, but it was entirely by accident.... unless it was a deliberate test made to look like an accident.
  10. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

It wasn't your typical war. It was a war entirely driven by magical forces. Sure, there are some shadowknights and paladins, but the Erudites are mostly magic users. How do anyone really know what kind reactions will occur when magic met magic in a such a devastating way?
    Unfortunately a tribe of Kerra got caught in the middle and seemingly destroyed. There was a hole where their village used to be. It might be the shamans that protected the tribe on its journey to the moon. Or a god ... or a certain goddess ... had a hand in perserving the chunk of rock through its trip toward its destination.
    And it truly smashed into Luclin. Shar Vahl was built at top of a plateau in middle of a vast crater.
  11. ARCHIVED-PsiaMeese Guest

I have been fond of Nashii's tale of the Quellithulian ritual for several years. A few points that always elude the reader:
    Was the ritual that the ancestral Kerran's witnessed taking place before or after the events of The Rending? We don't know.
    Did the Kerran village of Kejek stay in the Stonebrunt Mountains for the duration of this story? Or did they actually pack up and retreat?
    Points of interest:
    The completion of the temple was delayed a few times. Due to sabotage by the ancestral Kerrans. How they sabotaged the progress is unknown.
    Odus (the continent) survived the event and was still there to be seen from nearby Kerra Isle.
    The ancestral Kerrans returned to Odus and confirmed that the Erudites survived their Quellithulian ritual.
    The ancestral Kerran didn't know if the physical change of the Erudites was purposeful or an accident. As no one was telling. The Kerran were likely the last people that Quellithulian community would share such a secret with.

Regarding creation of a new Nexus. I have to wonder if the Quellithulians already succeeded? Could such a thing exist to support the current spire network? We do know that the only reason we can use them the way that we do is only because the Scions let us. I wonder if they have the scroll that would have taken us to Odus all this time? And are just keeping that under their robes?
  12. ARCHIVED-Aera Guest

How exactly does the current network of spires work? I remember participating in the live event of building them, but I guess the lore behind the construction escapes me. Who are the scions?
  13. ARCHIVED-teddyboy420 Guest

Psia@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I'm thinking that they did, in fact they must have succeeded in the creation of a new Nexus and that is what is powering the current Spire network. It's pretty interesting really. My theory is that the old Spires were inexorably tied to the power of the Nexus on Luclin, and once that was shut down those Spires could never be reactivated unless the Nexus on Luclin is. In the same way, the Ulteran Spire network must be inexorably tied to this new Nexus and wouldn't work without it.
    At the same time, I am thinking that yes, they probably do have the ability to grant us portal to Odus, and anywhere else they have built Spires. They just don't want us going there, so they have kept (mostly) mum on the subject, but there is proof that they have the ability to port to Odus... Although the proof doesn't show that the Spire network is connected to Odus, simply that the Quellthulians have the ability to teleport there. Remember the Quellthulian Erudite up in KoS who mentioned he was going to Odus, and then teleported himself and disapeared, presumably to Odus

As for the Kerran's that got caught in the explosion that created The Hole...I remember reading the story of the Kerran's getting caught in the Maps of Myrist and it specifically says that "due to their spiritual nature the Kerrans enjoyed some protection against the strong and violent magic. The Shaman were especially quick to raise their magical defenses for themselves and their warrior companions.".

In regards to The Nexus, no, I do not think that the Sphere was The Nexus, but it certainly was the power behind it, and probably the power behind the entire Spire network. What I am saying is that the power of that Sphere and the cave that housed it on Luclin was a Nexus before the Combine arrived, built their marble structures and named it The Nexus. I believe the Sphere in that cave was the power source for the entire Spire network, and that the entire network was built around it by either the Shissar, or an older, extremely powerful race that is unknown to us.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

The scions are just the overseers to the spires' operations. They really don't have any lore, but I remember we had to collect a ton of magical essences found on creatures all over Norrath to power them up. They didn't really go into any details about the How and What of the spires.
  15. ARCHIVED-Foolsfolly Guest

I have an extremely hard time imagining that the accidental result of an experimental magical superweapon could actually cause a substatial chunk of land to escape Norrath's gravitational field, make the trip to a moon, and then land on it, all while protecting what was inside this magical bubble from the extreme gravitational and inertial forces varying greatly at each step along the way. Even harder to believe is that primitive kerran shaman's who could barely even speak would be able to calculate these variable and formulate magics to account for them within the extremely pressed timeframe allotted to them.
    It's far more likely that their superweapon was nothing more than a buffed-up variation of the teleportation magic they already had, designed to send everything within a large radius straight up away from Norrath as far as the magic would take it. But the oily-black-substance caught the teleportation beam like a magnet, and the chunk of land materialized at the closest spot that had enough open space to accomidate such a massive object; on the surface on Luclin. The crater could have been caused by the discharge of excess magical energies fed into the beam with no spires around to absorb that energy.
  16. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Foolsfolly wrote:
    I like how you state that Kerrans are so primitive that they're hardly considered sentient. You must really think that they were cavemen back then, don't you?
  17. ARCHIVED-kyrrah Guest

Foolsfolly wrote:
    1. It's canon. You just have to press the "I believe" button cuz it's true as far as Norrathian history goes.
    2. The Kerra of the time weren't knuckle draggers like you seem to believe.
  18. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

kyrrah wrote:
  19. ARCHIVED-Homeskillet Guest

The Vah Shir were Vah Shir before they came to Luclin, they were the kerra nobility and followers of Vah Kerrath. They were the most advanced and proficient of their kind. Plus, as others have said; THAT IS HOW IT HAPPENED.
    Press the I believe button or don't, if you choose not to, then stop participating in a discussion where you are only offering disputes to what actually happened. This isn't arguing the veracity of the Bible, its the lore in a video game.
    PS the Apollo moon landing happened.
  20. ARCHIVED-Foolsfolly Guest

Records of the event in question are extremely vague, since the Vah`Shir did not keep written records of anything, and the erudites who performed the experiment later blew themselves up.

http://www.lorelibrary.com/?page=bo...amp;ss=erudites
    "Obviously unable to control themselves, the Heretics released powers greater than they could control, blasting the lands and creating The Hole."
    http://everquestlore.wikia.com/wiki/Vah_Shir
    "They were originally the descendants of the Kerrans, a race of cat people that a small tribe of were magically transported to the moon of Luclin. The exact circumstances of their teleportation are unknown to much of Norrath but it is believed to be due to a magical experiment conducted by the Erudites."
    http://everquestlore.wikia.com/wiki/Shar_Vahl
    "During this war, they were caught in a blast of experimental magic that resulted in the creation of what is now known as The Hole. Due to their spiritual nature, the kerran nobility enjoyed some protection against the strong and violent magic. The shaman were especially quick to raise their magical defense for themselves and their warrior companions. Written works are not used by the Vah Shir. Their reasoning holds that the impure magic that begot the cataclysm was a direct result of the research done by the Erudites, who had twisted pure spiritual magic into something unnatural. Thus, the telling of lore is passed down from generation to generation in the form of stories and songs shared by the bards and shaman."

I think these events are still very much open to interpretation due to the lack of any clear records. The quick actions of the shamans may have saved lives during the bumpy landing, but I still believe that the actual transportation had to have been done via teleportation, and not some ride through space on the back of a magical rock.

PS the Apollo moon landing, if it happened, occured in a very carefully designed ship made from some of the hardest alloys known to man. If you actually blasted an ordinary rock with enough energy for it to escape Norrath's gravitational field, the force would shatter the rock like glass and the bloody remains of the Vah`Shir would have been scattered across all of Odus.