Considering the paladin. Some questions about playstyle and such.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ARCHIVED-jay777, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

Are paladins versatile as far as roles go? Like can we switch from healing to tanking on the spot? How is the dps and how do these paladins sperate paladins from other games in flashyness and playstyle?

I always wanted to play a paladin but I hated doing uninteresting slow combat melee abilities, as long as its a decent pace im not to worried about it but I am mostly looking for something with a bit of versatility possibly jack of all trades, and still looks visually appealing.

Thanks everyone.

Also what race looks good as a paladin? And stats do matter to me to an extent as long as its a fighting race but I really do not want to roll a barbarian or human, and tried a froglok didnt like him as a fighter.
  2. ARCHIVED-Zetch Guest

Well first I don't know if you will value my opinion as much as my Paladin is only lvl 20 atm....however I can tell you a bit about how it has been so far.

First off, you are what you are, a tank. This is primarily what you will be asked to do in any group obviously, I doubt you would get asked for DPS or heals. As far as the dps and heals go they aren't really bad. However, your heals will mainly be for yourself. You *can* heal others but it isn't amazing or anything and you wouldn't be able to for long periods of time, especially if you need to heal yourself at the same time. Your DPS, can be really good and very steady if you get a proper weapon and start out spec'n your AA's for it a bit. With a Paladin and your DPS...one thing I have learned is that you should not underestimate your auto attack. With a good weapon early on ( I use a 2h since I don't really need the extra defence right now) your auto attack will deal a good amount of damage and can sometimes be the difference between life and death. I have also read that if you really play it right then your DPS can rival some of the higher DPS classes.

I say if you have been thinking about it and want something versatile than you would definately enjoy Paladin. They are very versatile because yeah, you sort of can be a tank...heal a little bit...and then deal some nasty damage if you know what you are doing. As far as what looks cool as one, maybe a High Elf? I play a wood elf one myself which is my favorite but my buddy has a High Elf and with the way he looks and his armor he gets compliments on his appearance all the time. Anyway, hope I was some help, but the best thing to do is just try it and see if it is for you!

Good luck.
  3. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

Thank you, yea tried it a few levels could not get into it love the healing animations and the 360 attack though.
  4. ARCHIVED-Zetch Guest

Yeah well it isn't for everybody I suppose. Personally though the 2 crusaders are my favorite to play, I have both a Paladin and an SK because I couldn't decide which one I liked most. I haven't played as one myself, but I hear that the summoners can be very versatile. Have you thought about maybe an Inq? They can be really good solo'ers because they have a great heal, can tank small things fairly decent alone, and then their damage output isn't too shabby either. Might want to try one out if you haven't. If you are trying out a bunch though, just remember to always get to a decent level before judging the class. I myself absolutely hated Mystic when I first tried it, then after I tried it again to a higher level it was one of my favorite classes to play as.
  5. ARCHIVED-xguild Guest

I personally love the Paladin because of its versatility. Its great for soloing, its always welcomed in groups and though I cant say from experiance my understanding is that its always welcomed in Raids as well.
    As for healing, Im not sure how it is at higher levels or of you get all the upgrades for healing but it really isn't useful to anyone except yourself or perhaps in a real pinch you can save someone with your heals. Generally though they are pretty low on the healing tandem pole and its more of an extra "uhmpf" of tankiness for yourself then anything else. I think the great part about the Paladin is that its so self reliant. You have your own buffs, your own heals, you are a great tank and can hand out considerable DPS. Its easy to be a one man show with the Paladin.
  6. ARCHIVED-Maamadex Guest

Paladins are great, but they are tanks first and foremost. I don't give a damn about animations and stuff like that, I've always liked playing one. If you somehow base things on superficial aspects like what classes look like when they do something you got issues. Pick something, play it, have fun and find a place in this game. Whats the highest level toon you have? You seem like you suffer from attention deficit disorder.
  7. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

That is a matter of opinion and arrogant judgement on your part, I never said anything about the looks of it, but if you do not play the games for graphics then why arent you playing a mud which is far deeper then eq? No if you do not base your classes off look and feel then your just wasting your money on a graphical game. I base it off the look, feel, and playstyle and there is nothing wrong with that why don't you grow some and leave people alone hm?
  8. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

I also did not notice comparable dps personally.
  9. ARCHIVED-Maamadex Guest

You just irritate me, thats why I was rude. You don't appear to notice a whole lot anyway.
  10. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

You dont even know me, but I could care less if I irretate you dont take your problems out on other people, just dont talk to me its that simple no one is forcing you to talk to me.
  11. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

Paladins are able to perform a low level casual version of almost any role except when you need an actual mez, which is extremly rare. Now our healing power has been severly reduced (from a very low level to begin with). To be honest, you can only expect to perform at a reasonable competence level if you are the tank, or a really exceptional player doing dps. Of course, every class can do some dps.

Don't get me wrong -- in a pinch, I have used my abilities to get by for a short time in whichever role was needed, and we're a lot more flexible than most, but it's not like (another game we won't mention) where a paladin can be set up in advance to be either a top level tank or a top level healer or a high level dps.
  12. ARCHIVED-Xaviour Guest

paladins reuse sucks bigtime. that is all.