Considering returning - is it pay to win?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Suzina, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Suzina New Member

I started playing EQ2 in beta and quit less than a year after launch. I'm considering returning to EQ2 after all these years. It looks like so much has been added since I left, I don't know where to even start. But I have to ask first and foremost, is this game pay-to-win?

I'm just coming from a game where best-in-slot equipment is being sold for cash. I left LOTRO because you could purchase stats and end-game crafting materials for money. Does real life money give you a gameplay advantage in EQ2?

Thanks for your time,
    -Suzina.
  2. Ivory Member

Most of the items that are available on the market are convenience and appearance items. There are a few very nice potions for Exp to speed up leveling and things like that. If you have a free or silver level membership, you will need to buy unlockers to used legendary or fable gear and master level spells. But to my knowledge there are no useable combat items available to purchase on the marketplace.
  3. Natsume Member

SC = Useless, no combat advantage.
    Membership = HUGE advantage.

Without a GOLD membership, you can't use any FABLED, LEGENDARY or MYTHICAL items. Those items tend to be much stronger, so locking them to members only does give them an advantage.

EQ2 is a really fun game, regardless of the restrictions. If your into Raids and all, then you will need to P2P, however, if you just going to do some ... crafting, questing at your level, then the difference wouldn't be that vast. And you can earn your rewards quite well.
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

be glad you can even get MYTHICAL level gear now. If it had remained as it was there would be one MYTHICAL or ARTIFACT drop per server the way the old world ones were done. Though yes really F2P is quite limited but MASTERCRAFT gear will get you a fair distance before you have to really start paying imo.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

lolwut?

MYTHICAL - as many as you want per server
    ARTIFACT - one per server

Mythicals predated StationCash by 11 months.
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Mythical drops predated mythical weapons by about 6 years. When 50 was the level cap, there was only one Mythical drop per server from end-game raid zones. I remember seeing the message and drop for one that was a tank item, but I don't remember what it was.

And to the OP...I WISH it was pay to win. I currently have way more money than time. Contrary to players' assertions that all you need to do is buy your gear, you still have to actually play the game to get anywhere. :)
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Yep Feldon the old world MYTHICAL weapons were also ARTIFACTS there was no difference back then. Matron in the Isle of Mara had one such MYTHICAL. Now and days real MYTHICALS are only five of them they are.

Sullon's Vengence
    Sullon's Wrath
    Obsidian War Bow
    Obsidian War Scimitar
    General Teku's Class-Cloak.

A "real" MYTHICAL in my mind has a server message attached to it which Skyshrine Myths did not. To me SS MYTHICAL is just an awesome FABLED same goes for ETHEREAL.
  8. Mnoizr Member

Short answer is YES .. It is pay to win.

If you have PLAT ... you can outfit your toon better and faster.

1) KRONOS cost $$$$ and can earn you PLAT ...
    2) $$$$ buys SC and PLAT buys SC from other players ...
    3) SC lets you Master Spells
    4) SC items can be gifted to others for PLAT

nb: Better gear and spells let's you earn PLAT faster

If you are out of PLAT at this point .. goto 1), else goto 2)
  9. Moldylocks Member

I've been playing off and on (mostly on) since shortly after launch. While the game has evolved and changed in that time, the addition of Marketplace items and mercs has not made it P2W at all. Marketplace items are generally cosmetic, aside from some potions that increase xp gain, a resurrection scroll (non-group) and I think there is a health and power potion as well. Mostly benign, definitely nothing game changing in an over-powered way like, say, Runes of Magic.

10. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

You can have a ton of plat and buy all your gear and masters - that still doesn't mean you know how to play your class. Not playing well does not = Win.
  11. Faelynn Active Member

Agree, you can get better geared faster with RL monies, indirectly. However, that does not teach you how to play well.

You can earn the plats perfectly well without RL monies though. Either run a crapload of dungeons and sell loots, or harvest a lot (and sell the rares), or get into crafting and be able to sell crafts / services. Pouring RL money in via Kronos or selling SC cards or whatever is not the only way to get what you need. In fact, odds are that if you don't learn the game first, you'll waste a lot of that money on things you could get easily enough anyway.
  12. Deathbecomes Member

What the OP is asking is if that is the only way to get those items it is not there is nothing available that gives you an advantage while playing that can not be earned in game. If you want to be playing end game content you will have to pay for 2 expansions and a subscription because I think the nickle and dime item unlockers (every dropped piece of gear from the last 3 expansions is legendary.) could get pricey enough to end up costing you more per month. The Kronos example above can provide your gold membership if you can make an extra 900pp a month you can buy Kronos from other players.

The 2 expansions you need are end game content so you don't need to get them until 80.

If you just want to tool around the huge amount of content prior to the end game as kind of a I wanna kill some time type thing F2P will work for you but you are going to be soloing most likely.
  13. OverDoze Member

larg guilds sell loot rights to people in auction and plat is about a krono away pay a gold membership amd your money flow is only limit. typically i dont pay to play like that but if it answers your question then yes you can pay for the best gear in the game
  14. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

You really can't. By the time you could buy every gear slot worth of gear from a loot rights sale, it will be time for the next expansion. The way I look at it is: a group selling loot rights is selling me their time, of which I don't have much.

If I waited for every bit of gear I wanted or needed to be sold, I'd never have it. I might as well just go get it for myself. Even if I raided every single day for 3 or 4 hours a day, every raider will tell you there is always one or two items that just WILL NOT drop for them. No matter how many times they do a fight, it just won't drop. That's where loot rights come in handy.
  15. OverDoze Member

ok i saw a alert amd you quotted me arial um ok heres how it is i know for a fact on a large server like the one im on as long as i have the money i can find what i need maintaining a budget having friends and being smart not even being part of a guild you can make your gear pretty top notch in no time some people dont have the friends or resources to do this but im sitting on 3k plat and others with 6 didgets of plat waiting for people to cov them to the zone and retireve there item coe will be a very long additive to what raids are available it will atleast be 1 year for a expansion they may add content like a aod expansion but not lvl increase ground trembling new things any time soon