Conjuror Tradeskill?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-sanadin, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-sanadin Guest

Trying to determine what would be the most useful tradeskill for my Conjuror to undertake. I suppose Sage is an obvious choice, but what about tailor or provisioner?
  2. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

Every tradeskill has it's usefulness. Try doing the crafting learning quest, and see if any appeal to you. If this is your only character I would say you would get the most personal benefit as a sage, as you can make your own spells. But with tailor you can make your own clothes. With provisioner you can make your own food & drink. With woodwork or weaponsmith you could make your own weapons. With alchemist, you could make potions. With jeweler you could make belts and jewelry. With carpenter you could furnish your house. About the only tradeskill that would not benefit your character directly is armorer. Try to pick one you think you will enjoy. Really they are all good.
  3. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

Do you enjoy crafting? If you do not enjoy it, then I wouldnt do it to be honest.

In order for crafting to be any assistance to your adventurer, you would need to keep it at your level or higher (like the tailor). For some people, this puts them off it.

Should you decide to craft, I would suggest doing what you enjoy first and foremost. If you are active in the crafting community, you can get the rare and get a good deal on a combine that you may need. Many crafters will not charge too much if you go looking for them and have the rares in hand needed.

Sage is the fastest to level currently... tailor is on eof the slower ones... provi takes AGES to make any money on as it takes 10 combine sto get a stack of 20....

I would go with what you enjoy.... if you dont like crafting, many people just harvest and sell the components on the market to make their money...
  4. ARCHIVED-valkry Guest

I probably wouldn't take armour or weaponsmith if you want completely useful to advance ONLY a conj adventure class, but any of the other class (even carpenter, who makes boxes for your bank) will provide you some advantage.
    That said, try not to get too caught up in which class is "best." Some classes are more fun to play then others. Can't say why exactly, but I HATED my alchemist. I reclassed her to jeweler & am having much more fun. I love my sage, carp, armour, tailor, provie. I'm starting to like my woodworker more, but I didn't like that class in the beginning.
    Also nothing says you have to limit yourself to one adventuring class & one crafting class. Make the conj a sage, then make a baby toon to be a tailor & the conj can harvest for both. you don't even have to make the adventuring class match the crafting class. My bruiser armour makes gear for my SK, Defiler, Swashy & Dirge. It involves swapping items around, but I did it for role playing/back-story reasons.
    Key point to crafting is have FUN. If you don't enjoy it, no matter how much it 'helps' your conj... you won't do it, or you will grow to hate the time you force yourself to craft.
  5. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

Elorah wrote:
    QFT
    Seriously there is alot of combineing you need to do to reach level 80 if you don't enjoy it don't do it. Also anything and everything that can be made by any tradeskill person can be sold on the broker. (ok minor exception mirror of reflected achievment but that can be commisioned). Really the question should NEVER be what is the best tradeskill for this class, but the question should be what do I like doing the most. I'll give you a personal perspective. When I was leveling this char he was a provisioner and I had another character as a sage to make me spells. As I was leveling I enjoyed leveling my provisioner and detested my sage because he just never seemed that much fun. Towards the end it seemed almost like a job to finish leveling my sage but I did. Since then I have leveled an alchemist, woodworker and armorer. As to TS's I hated I think in hind sight the armorer really takes the cake, not because anything persay is "hard", it's just the sheer metric ton of raw metals that he needed to level was really anoying to farm enough of them for him.
  6. ARCHIVED-sanadin Guest

I appreciate all the enthusiastic responses, thanks everyone. A common theme seems to be, "there is no best class, do what you enjoy the most." To be frank I don't see a significant difference in the crafting classes besides what they produce. And what I enjoy the most is making fun, useful, and profitable products
    I do enjoy crafting, or at least I enjoyed my jeweler. I got her to the mid 30's, which was her adventuring level as well. I enjoyed selling sets of scout upgrades and providing myself and my friends with decent jewelry.
    I liked what the class produced because it made me money and was useful, and I enjoyed the actual process of harvesting and crafting enough. It wasn't exactly a thrill ride, but I quickly discovered how to always get the highest quality results and I enjoyed being able to rely on that, playing the market, and advertising my wares.
    Now with my Conjurer I'm looking to strike a balance between what is useful and what is lucrative. I don't want to sacrifice being able to make a steady income from my crafting, nor do I want to make items that are considerably less useful to me than what other tradeskills offer just to make money.
    So with this in mind I wonder if Sage would be the best choice? Nothing seems more useful than being able to make my own adepts, but as someone mentioned it seems a little boring being able to only make one thing and that thing to be spells I'm casting anyway- doesn't exactly bring any new dimensions to the game, just more power. Which is good, but I'm locking my exp bar for AA's anyway to do that.
    Tailoring seems a strong candidate because I can produce:
    • Bags for myself, my friends, and to sell (everyone needs bags, right?)
    • My own cloth armor (I hear MC is some of the best until ~50 .. true?)
    • Dress clothes. Woot!
    • Rugs ...?
    Thoughts?
  7. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

Rugs are made by carpenters ;)

Sages are quite easy to level up, which might explain why there are so many (back before the commission system, there were a few HQ's that needed crafting ability).

I have all at 80 but the armorer and weaponsmith (they are 60 ish )... the tailor was tough to level as it needed ALOT of roots (was hard to get them as every craft uses them). Keep in mind that in order to be useful to your adventurer the tailor needs to be higher level then your adventurer. If your adventurer is 32, then in order to make all the armor that they need, you would need to be 39 tailor (the armor is spread throughout the levels in the tier). To be able to make a full set, you will need to be higher. The tailor does not have many recipe's per level either, so be prepared to grind a bit....

As to what will be profitable, any and all crafts can be profitable if you devote enough time to it. Study what sells, what there is a lack of and make them.... Consumables sell well, but you have to keep a good stock going. This will take time. My Woodworker takes quite a while to restock her wares as she sells a lot of totems, ammo and arrows..... I dont even bother with my provi as that takes WAY too long.
  8. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

The sage will be easy to level up as you can make one of each spell at pristine and level or get near leveling, as they make spells for all mages and healers.
  9. ARCHIVED-Celena Guest

One of my conjy's is a provi and tinkerer. The Call of the tinkerer, FD and cow launcher are great!
    Another conjy is a WW to feed my totem habit and make coin w/totems, arrows and throwing things.
    I am raising other conjy to be an alchy, to feed my potion habit, as well as make coin on fighter A#'s.

Yeah, ummm..I sorta have a conjy addiction.
  10. ARCHIVED-Tinrae Guest

My highest level crafters are currently Jeweler, Provi and Tailor.

Out of the three of them, the tailor has been the most useful as I play a mage and druid, but echoing what a previous poster said, you'd always have to keep your tradeskill level higher than your adventure level (10+ levels is best imo) and the sheer amount of roots you need to skill up is tedious to harvest and can be expensive to buy. However, most of the crafting requests for myself and my friends has been for tailored goods. If you can dedicate yourself to upkeeping it, this might be a good field for you.

Following that, I'd go with my provisioner, because food mats are very easy to harvest and usually cheap to buy plus you'll never need rare materials or advanced books. It's a cheap field to level up. Economically, I don't make spike money selling food as I do as a tailor (provisioner seems a steady lower income while a tailor can make a huge spike sale when someone buys a whole set of MC armor at once), but it's nice to always have plenty of good food and drink on hand when you need it.

Personally, if I could do it over again I'd probably reroll the jeweler for a sage, as I need the spells for my main characters (casters) more than I need jewelry. Especially once I hit 50+ adventure level and the price of most of my spells and ancients have shot up to astronomical prices.