Completely new player, TLS or Regular server?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by CaptainLeviii, Jun 15, 2022.

1. CaptainLeviii New Member

I have never played EverQuest 1 or 2 but have been looking for a classic mmo to get into and I’m wondering should I pay the sub to be able to play on the new Varsoon server so the early game isn’t so “ ghost townish” or am I better off just starting on a regular server? I just want to be able to somewhat group at some early stuff and not have the game be so empty. What direction am I better off going with?
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

The TLE server will probably have more low level people to group with. But I'm sure a lot of them are probably already max level. If you do live you may be able to find a guild that would help out new players and grouping.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  3. Jesaine Well-Known Member

First, welcome to the party. :D You picked a great time to join with the upgrade to a 64 bit engine. The game is way smoother than it used to be in terms of zoning, etc..

Breanna is probably right about the TLS in terms of sheer number of lower level characters to group with. The flip side is that the regular servers are the ones that go easiest on players and make it fast to advance. My lowbie Channeler is an utter god on Halls of Fate, and I have almost no clue how to use the class yet, lol. Even the RP server (Antonia Bayle) has a higher difficulty level. SOOOO, there's the option of at least starting on a regular server just to get an easy handle on mechanics and then seeing if you want to recreate your character on a time locked server.
    Siren, Breanna and Sturmlocke like this.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

First of all, welcome!

I'd start on a regular server and look for a nice and newbie friendly help that you can chat with from time to time. Whatever you do, don't skip anything content wise and take your time. I have set myself the goal of doing all quests the game has to offer, even if it takes me a few years to do so.

Cheers
    Siren and Breanna like this.
  5. Breanna Well-Known Member

So how many quest are there actually in the game. I know I've seen people with a lot higher quest count than me, and I try to do every quest I can get my hands on. I started trying to compare my completed quest in each zone against my journal, but those don't always match up. I think I saw Pjorte (sp) once with over 8,000 quest. That's a ton more than me.
    Siren and Sturmlocke like this.
  6. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Tbh, I don't have a clue, lol. I would assume a number around 10k quests could very well be realistic after all these years, then again, it could also be much higher if you count in all the lore and "hidden" quests that you can find in randomly dropped items. Would love to be able to see this stuff inside the game via the "achievements" tab or something to that effect, just so we can track this stuff a bit easier ofc. Who could we ask for an exact number?
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Breanna Well-Known Member

No idea!!! Someone told me to check on EQ2U tells you which quest you have done and the ones that are not done. One day I will probably get around to doing that. LOL
    Siren and Sturmlocke like this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Well, there are more than 1,700 collections (each collection is a quest), and more than 8,900 quests.

Check the quest leaderboards.
    Siren, Breanna and Sturmlocke like this.
  9. Breanna Well-Known Member

WOW I better get busy!
  10. Arandar Well-Known Member

There are a lot of 50s at this point, but there is still a whole lot of grouping going on in the lower levels. If the OP wants to actually group up and do stuff with a modest bit of challenge, Varsoon is the way to go. But, if they're primarily interested in solo questing their way to greatness (and using chronomentoring to put themselves in God mode for lower tier content), the standard severs are the way to go.
    Siren and Twyla like this.