Collection Etymas Doublu-up stealth nerf

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Avithax, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Avithax Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that collection Etymas are not doubling up anymore? If so, nice one SOE, just when it became slightly possible to spend 10 hours a day harvesting shinys to afford the over priced gem/adorn cost you sneak in a nerf that removed our bonus for being gold members.

Great way to promote the loyalty!
    Adaarye likes this.
  2. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Tried to test that with one of my baby toons who hasn't handed in any ToV collections. Got 3 "A Sealed Draconic Etyma Scroll" which are no-trade and I won't be able to open until I'm 92. No idea if there will be 1 or 2 etyma in those, but suspect 1.
  3. Avithax Well-Known Member

It would also appear that LORE collectables cannot be sold on the broker anymore.
  4. Feldon Well-Known Member

You really started a thread to defend creating and then almost immediately deleting throwaway characters just for the purpose of turning in collections over and over?

An exploit was stopped. Period.
    Avahlynn and Deveryn like this.
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

The sealed scroll would accomplish that, and I agree with that approach. Honestly hadn't tried handing in a collection with a low level before so those scrolls could have been there since release for all I know.

However, removing the bonus etyma from high level toons on gold accounts on handing in a collection was unnecessary.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

I was able to put a LORE shiny on the broker w/o any difficulty just now.
  7. Sambril Well-Known Member

Well that can still be done, it is just that apparently they won't get the bonus. Those collection items still have to be collected though so while that is easy for a high level toon it is still some effort required.
  8. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I figured that was what people were doing when I saw several dozen stacks of purple adorns on the broker from the same people. Like, far more than it would be realistically possible to acquire through legitimate means. Here on the forums we have people complaining they're too expensive, and then someone's got like a stack of 25 for sale.
  9. Avithax Well-Known Member

I started a thread about the fact that I spent hours collecting shinies and was going to turn them in on my 11 crafting alts when I logged on today just to find out that an "Unannounced" nerf had been put in the game. They fixed he exploit with the high level requirement on the reward. Part of the real problem is that too many people assume that everyone exploits, i don't but for some reason you feel the need to follow my posts and troll me about my opinions.
  10. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

How can that still be done? The scrolls are no-trade and cannot be opened until level 92.

Edit: Suddent patch incoming for 12:15 PM PST. GENERAL
    Fixed an issue with collections.
  11. Sambril Well-Known Member

Yeah - wondering about the patch.

And my mistake - I didn't realize they had changed how the reward from collection turn in was granted in addition to changing the amounts. I haven't done any in ToV and did not fully grasp the post above.
  12. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I think if you're over 92 and over you get the etyma directly as currency. Under you get a scroll. I turned in a collection with a low level for the first time ever today and got the scrolls. Don't have a full collection handy to test with on higher level toons...they all turned them in yesterday (fortunately).
  13. Venomizer Member

How do you know this was an exploit?

Ppl will try to find the most economical way to achieve their goals. This provides opportunity for ingenuity, which ppl find enjoyable.

When a 'gamemaster' (D&D term) takes it upon themself to circumvent innovation at every corner they are failing.

IMO this is not a big deal either way of allowing throwaway characters or not, but they did violate a basic rule of the social contract. You dont release programs soft and then tighten restrictions later. It causes the kinds of responses and tone that the OP exhibits.

If something is arbitrary, its best left to popular demand of unwashed masses. This is just another method of obtaining etyma. Personally I found it a welcome break from grinding all those heroic missions.
    Ranga and Adaarye like this.
  14. Foretold Well-Known Member

I'm really sad that I turned in about 25 collections this morning and didn't even notice that I didn't get double etyma. Losing 75 etyma reeeaallllly sucks. Fail :S
  15. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

If it looks like an exploit, and it smells like an exploit, then it's probably an exploit. And creating throwaway characters for the sole purpose of gaining collection rewards to gain an in-game advantage is a huge, steaming, stinky pile of exploit.
  16. Feldon Well-Known Member

If you take an ATM card to several different banks and withdraw the same $300 from an account with a $300 balance, the bank will eventually want that money back.
  17. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Funny, I have 15 toons on everfrost and only 1 that is working on the collections. Just didn't seem productive to try and farm etyma's that way, much faster with doing the adventuring, at least to me :cool: 240+ etyma a week with one adventurer.
  18. Pauly Well-Known Member

the use the excuse that SLR fans use... As long as 'someone' put in the work to collect those shinys.. then its not an exploit for them to sell to any char who wishes to buy them
  19. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Except it isn't. People who SLR are actively participating in the activity required to get the item to drop. People buying LR have gotten their plat one way or another, presumably legitimately. Neither party is being exploited, and since these items can't be sold via the broker anyway it doesn't really impact the economy other than raid guilds getting rich (which isn't as big a deal as people make out, because I've known plenty of crafters and shiny hunters who are stupidly rich too).

This, on the other hand, is a clear violation of the spirit of gameplay. Anyone using this method to gain Etyma knew that it was basically cheating. When you can buy the collections for maybe 100 plat and convert that into about 3k plat's worth of runes, you are not being a contributor to the economy, you are being a predator, and actively sabotaging the in-game economy, since these items CAN be sold via the broker. By using the exploit, you are actively damaging the economy for others earning Etyma the legitimate way.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  20. Prrasha Well-Known Member

Yup, excellent change. (Assuming that opening the "sealed scroll" to convert it to real etyma still doubles the reward for paid or krono'ed members.)