Coercer Issues/Balance/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Coercer' started by ARCHIVED-Zervun, Dec 21, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Zervun Guest

I truly love my Coercer I have no complaints however a couple things need to be looked at.

1. Mez/Stun Stacking

Current state if stunned then mezzed when stun wears off it breaks Mez - very annoying

2. Forced Jig/Mirth

Absolutely worthless because it only works on people lower than you which can be few and far between in groups. Since it's a fun spell with no affect in the game there should be no reason that it doesn't work on anyone in group regardless of level.

3. AoE Mez

Not useful at all because it breaks when anyone hits a mezzed in the encounter. Just needs to be made so that it only breaks the one which is hit. Current state it's pretty worthless. Another option would be just to be able to have 2 different mez spells at once.

4. Mez Breaks

Currently quite a few things break mez such as HO's, taunt skills, Necromancer Rats. These need to be corrected.

5. Breeze Duration

IMO a increase to just 5 min would be very nice, currently it's a real pain to keep it up constantly - would be also very nice if it showed who the breeze is cast on other than having to look at the particle affects. I'm not looking for a extended duration breeze, just a little more to make it more fun instead of such a hassle, it's tedious. Main thing is I would like to cast other spells than be restricted a majorily of the time to having cast Breeze constantly ~

7. Mez Break Message & Longer lasting Mez Graphic

Self Explanatory - need the mez graphic not for us but for groupmates ~ would like it to fade away over time so they know which one is going to break next.

I am though quite happy with the class and am having a blast, with some of these corrected it would be even better.
    Message Edited by Zervun on 12-21-2004 12:19 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Rolf why not ask for infinitive mez then?
    My friend you lvled in your mid 20s and still fail to comprehend mechanism of mez in EQ2 .... Its a lot differ from EQ1...
    In EQ1 generally speaking then you pulling group you mez everything and let tak pick mobs one by one ... In EQ2 on countary if group pulled (unless its double + or boss pack) you dont mez - you just AE your **** off - the bigger pack the weaker monsters. If you you got pair of + mob - then yes you mez one and let group deal with other one, for boss pack you mez boss only and may be AE casting mob and again AE down bodyguards. Key for playing enchanter in EQ2 is undestanding that many encounters designed to deal with via AE. Now question what about adds? Well that's what for you been given mez - to deal with adds not with monsters within pack. One may ask and what I do if add like 5-6 monster pack? - well that's what for AE mez been given to you. Well unfortunally you cannt chain AE mez but you buy enouth time to decide for group what to do finish first group and do second group or just evac
    I still dont get it how ppl capable of mezing anything past lvl 22 with Fascinate? - probably hunting in wrong spot I dont know... because at lvl 21 I was not able mez anything with Fascinate (Adept 1) - monsters were to high lvl for that. At my lvl 34 I am getting soon to point where Mezmerize will be to low to mez anything
  3. ARCHIVED-skeetor Guest

Yeah, I think its meant to be that way. It means you actually have to do something, you know, try.

No it doesn't. Once again, it just means that you have to have some skill to do well.

This is the most ridiculous part. 5 minutes? Come on dude. If you want to be lazy play a different class. Multitasking is what being a Coercer is all about! Keeping 3 mobs mezzed while keeping everyone Breezed and Hasted while eating yourself for mana and stunning the mob in camp that the healer can't keep up with....while still sneaking in dots and nukes... THATS FUN! Staying busy, ALWAYS moving and casting, NEVER having a moment to rest. THATS what makes this game fun. Not mezzing something and sitting on my butt for five minutes.

I WOULD like a mezz break message. I do however like the graphic. It means that people in the group have to pay attention to EVERYTHING and not just the one mob in camp.
  4. ARCHIVED-greatdane Guest

guys - he said "mez duration" for #5 but he actually meant to say "breeze duration" - read more carefully the context. he's got some good points
    Message Edited by greatdane on 12-21-2004 09:26 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-skeetor Guest

Oh, Breeze duration.

Well, I still stand by what I said, hehe. I think the timers are balanced very well.
  6. ARCHIVED-Zervun Guest

Meant Breeze not Mez - corrected

Between Reckleness and Breeze I find that I generate alot of aggro having to cast them constantly - due to the short duration and constant pulls. 5min over 3 isn't much, just would make it a tad more managable - I too like the constant work of casting non stop but -> I would like to cast other spells instead of just repeatedly breezing non stop etc ~ which is more of my point. We have oodles of spells, I find myself restricted to an occasional dot, reck, and mostly breeze the majority of the time

Also Tan - I strongly disagree with your statement that almost all 3+ encounters should be dealt with AoE - What if you have a group with majorily tanks? (which I find more than often). The AoE mez already paralizes you - I would even like it to drain a ton of mana just to get the functionality there, in it's current state it's near useless ~

Also I don't see what EQ1 has to do with any of this, I don't want it so AoE mez is used constantly - I just want some functionality with it and the possibility of helping the group via a huge pull ie 6+. I played a bard to elementals in EQ1 and actually the way eq2 enchanters handle mezzing is somewhat similar of the bard which I like. I do not want us to be like eq1 where as soon as tons of mobs in camp you can lock all down instantly, I just want the ability to lock more than 3 down but it to be difficult. I could lock down about 4 mobs sometimes 5 as a bard in eq1 - was very challenging but was fun ~

Skeeter - Necro rats I'm pretty sure break ALL your mezzes when cast on any one mob hense why it is broken
    Message Edited by Zervun on 12-21-2004 09:39 AM
    Message Edited by Zervun on 12-21-2004 09:45 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-skeetor Guest

I manage to keep everyone in Breeze and haste while still casting tons of other spells like keeping 3 mobs mezzed, slowing, dotting, nuking, stunning, ect.

I wonder what we're doing differently ...

I like the 3 minute timer. Anything more is making the game ridiculously easy.
  8. ARCHIVED-skeetor Guest

Who cares if rats break mezz? Work around it.
  9. ARCHIVED-Zervun Guest

The rats break all mezzes you have up not the one they are cast on.... ie. you have 3 mobs mezzed, rats are cast on a mob that isn't even mezzed, it breaks your other 3 mezzes - at least from my experience

I'm not having dificulty keeping people breezed - it's more of I rather be casting other stuff than breezing constantly ~ I manage it it is just tedious and seems to generate a large amount of aggro when in combat which is 99% of the time because of little downtime.

Anyway the breeze is by far the least of the issues I posted ~
    Message Edited by Zervun on 12-21-2004 12:18 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Folks few things to know
    Once you hit lvl 33.6 you'll get new crack - Refresh its stack with Breeze (bug?) so to speak now you can Refresh yourself/main heal/main tank breeze on rest, if fight long and hard you can stack on MH and wizard both breeze and refresh (its 46 power a tic combined at lvl 34). General rule you can stack buffs/spells that have ceparate timer. Ya 3min kinda of pain in the **** but with 2 spells at your disposal its much much easier
    About mainly melee group - same rule - no need to mez pack just AE down and mana tap in between AE (consuming toughts + anguish)
    About AE mez folks you missing the idea of this spell - its not stun you, only root (if you move mez will brakes btw). At App3 you'll get full 18 second to decide what to do - finish first group and start group that been mezed or evac
  11. ARCHIVED-Krelfearius Guest

I personally have not reached coercer yet but i do know that i have certainly used fascinate many times to save my hide. Strong monster starts attacking you, will kill you in 5 or 6 hits, mez it, sprint, break encounter, your long gone and it does'nt know what happend.

This has saved me quite a bit of debt already. Also do not understimate the power of simply taking even 1 monster out of the fight even for a few seconds. This is detrimental to the enemy especially in small groups of monsters 4 and lower. In many groups the assist train is like "ok we kill healer first" but if there is an enchanter well u mez healer and they clean house faster than they could have b4.

Just a single, simple mez is quite useful even if it is broken by rats and HO's. The way lots of groups assist like a chainsaw thru the monsters if there is time for the necro to rat and the group to ho then u have mana by now to mez again or the encounter is almost all dead already.

Just a lowly enchanter's 2 cp

p.s. Lucan for Pres
  12. ARCHIVED-kirky Guest

As to #5: I too would love to see some better graphics, for when breeze is about to run out. I would love, if they added the name of the char breezed to the icon in the casted spells window. Or add an icon to the name of the group member at the top with a timer on it, if you move your mouse over it. (like when they are noxious etc. just with a timer).
  13. ARCHIVED-Throne Guest

Tanatus,

Am I understanding that your basic position is that the Coercer's job is primarily to nuke, secondarily to buff, and third and lastly to mez in order to bail a group out of bad situations?
  14. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Coercer primary job is disable combat ability of foe via mental attacks it can be done various ways from faster killing (via DD/DoTs) all way up to mez. Tactic adjustable of course depending on situation but generally on average fight coercer do next
    a) Arcane debuff/slow mob (dots)
    b) Power drain/group mana tap (dot + special attack)
    c) stifle power drain/stun - optional
    d) once mob fully debuffed/slowed/power drained/stuned - nuke away
    Outside of combat
    a) keep power flow via cracks
    b) keep haste on group
    c) keep magic damage ward buff (timely refresh it), keep magic mitingation buffs
    In special occasion
    a) lock adds
    b) freeze combat if needed to buy time for healer/mt/DPS regain power so called combat medding
  15. ARCHIVED-Gammelt Guest

I still dont get it how ppl capable of mezing anything past lvl 22 with Fascinate? - probably hunting in wrong spot I dont know... because at lvl 21 I was not able mez anything with Fascinate (Adept 1) - monsters were to high lvl for that. At my lvl 34 I am getting soon to point where Mezmerize will be to low to mez anything

At level 25 I can use Fasinate (App 3) on level 26 mobs in Nek.
    It is interesting playing a Coercer in EQ2 after playing a Chanter for 5 years in EQ1. Definately different playing.
    People need to stay very flexible and remember that a Coercer in NOT a nuker. You are crowd control first and foremost. As to how you play your Coercer that is purely upto you. I think that most people that played with me for 5 years considered me an above average Chanter, if not a really good one.
    I am constantly changing my CC strategy based on the type of mob encounter as well as the make up of my current group. You all should remember one of your most important spells is your stun. Seldom do I ever get a chance to use my stun more than once in a fight because the refresh time is so high. Your stun can save the group at the end of a fight when the healer is out of power and the tank is almost dead. Stun the mob at the right time is like giving the healer an extra major heal in a fight against a 2+ mob because there will be more damage taken in the fight while the stun is on. I am still learning to time my stun on casters to stop casting.
    Bottomline is, play your style, but remain flexible.
    Gammelt Trae, 25 Coercer, Crushbone
    Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

"If sometimes you feel insignificant, useless, offended and depressed, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm in your group"
  16. ARCHIVED-Gammelt Guest

ooops double post sorry

Gammelt Trae, 25 Coercer, Crushbone
    Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

"If sometimes you feel insignificant, useless, offended and depressed, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm in your group"
    Message Edited by Gammelt on 12-22-2004 08:55 AM