Class Questions!

Discussion in 'Mages' started by SkyCake, May 17, 2016.

1. SkyCake New Member

Heya! New to EverQuest II (despite trying when I was younger), and was trying to decide on a class. I'm the type of person that likes to create 100 alts and play everything! But, with only two character slots, I feel like I need to choose wisely... a complicated situation for me.

TL;DR Where does the Illy stand on personal DPS? New to EQ2 and don't fully understand the terms used and where Illy is in comparison to other classes. Potentially more questions to come.

I was looking at the Illusionist! In Guild Wars 2, my main is a Mesmer with the elite trait to become a Chronomancer, which is similar to Illusionist I think. As a Chrono, I can buff the groups' DPS with Alacrity and Quickness. Chronos also deal a silly amount of damage while buffing. While I don't expect the same style of skills from EQ2 (buffing and dealing damage with one skill), I'm a bit concerned about the potential damage. I've tried Googling, but have read a lot of mixed responses and terms I don't understand.

I don't need to be the top DPS in a group, I just don't want to be stuck with the damage of a healer. From reading about the game, classes rely heavily on their roles while in a group. So, a Fighter is a tank and a Priest is a healer, it doesn't go much deeper than that. I don't want to get stuck as a buff bot. I read Mimicry is pretty important to our DPS, but it's disabled at the moment? And, there's something about a cloak people keep mentioning, but no idea what they're talking about... I assume it's gear.

Just because Mesmer (Chrono) is my main in GW2 doesn't mean it will be for EQ2. That's why I'm wondering before I get invested. I just naturally gravitated towards it. Hoping someone can help me decide with my limited character slots! I see Illusionist label'd as a Utility Class, then read that utility classes are useless.
  2. SkyCake New Member

After lurking around on the forums for a while, I've come to to the conclusion that people that don't know/agree on Illy DPS. I'm still trying to find information on their utilities, though I'm getting the same conclusion as for their DPS. Some say the content is too easy with stat caps being hit before any kind of buff while others are saying that Illy buffs are useful in the raid environment...

Sorry if I came off as rude or anything with either of my post. Not my intention. I think I'll just try to level an Illusionist. My other and last character slot will have to harbor all my alts! Haha.