Chat channels on character broken with patch to Test

Discussion in 'Testers Only' started by ARCHIVED-Soresha, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Soresha Guest

My main character Test.Soresja had her chat channels break with the last patch. It is limited to guild chat and the test.test channel. I have been trying to fix this, and it seems like I'm stuck half in, half out these channels. Yes I have /bugged it, but there's far too much info below to send to QA that way.
    I have managed to sort out test.test but can't do the same thing for the guild channel. So that's still broken.

All the info I gathered...
    Guild channel and test.test channel both didn't work after patching and logging on 24th June. I was having trouble with the test.test channel getting dropped from my UI settings for a few days before, it would be unticked when I logged in, but I could tick it again and it worked ok. That might be a red herring though. Guild channel never had any problems until now, and was absolutely fine the day before the patch.
    Say, shout, tells and other custom chat channels all work as normal.
    Guild status messages still work, e.g. people logging in and out, people gettng discoveries and loot. But the chat messages from me and others in the guild channel aren't displayed for me. Guildmates tell me they can see chat text from me though.
    If I re-tick test channel in the chat tab options, the /3 mapping to type in that channel works. And people in the channel tell me they can see chat text from me. But I still can't see any messages from me or them.
    This sequence of commands highlights something is messed up. (Substitute a real channel name for "xxx".)
    1) /leaveall
    This works for other channels e.g. it says "You have left 'Everfrost.xxx' (4)". But I do not get a message about leaving test.test channel.
    2) /leaveall (repeating the command)
    "/leaveall failed: You are not in any channels."
    3) /join test
    "You are already in 'test'.
    4) /join Everfrost.xxx
    "You have joined "'Everfrost.xxx' (1)"
    So the result from step 3) is like, WTF? /leaveall reports that I'm not in test.test, whilst /join reports that I am. I could repeat the same steps above and get consistently the same messages back.
    When I relog, the initial messages I get when the UI/chat loads up repeat the same story. I get:
    "You are already in 'test'.
    "You have joined "'Everfrost.xxx' (1)"
    To emphasize, my alt Test.Soreska is totally fine, her guild and test.test channels work as normal. It's only my main character.
    It's not a bad connection - see above about the alt. Also this has continued today as well.
    I have tried camping, full relog, reloading saved UI settings taken from the working alt.
    I was getting upset about this (and other stuff) yesterday, and Xelgad was kind enough to copy my toon over to his account internally to check it - but he said he couldn't replicate the issue.
    I tried petitioning yesterday and got a totally standard response. Basically they said to try resetting the UI, perform a full file scan and clear out the cache folders. Beyond that, it's Test serve so put in a /bug report.
    Ok I have tried removing the cache directory, forcing a rebuild of everything under there. I have tried a full scan. I'm using the default UI with only EQ2Maps added. Nothing non-standard about my chat windows.
    I grabbed my laptop, patched and logged into Test with this character. She's broken exactly the same way, the /leaveall and /join commands are giving identical results. It's not my installation, cache or anything else on my PC! It has to be the character and/or server data.

Then later today I tried again and starting using the /leavechannel command. I got this:
    1) /leavechannel 3
    "Unable to leave 'Test': You are not in the channel."
    2) /leavechannel test
    "Unable to leave 'test': You are not in the channel."
    3) /join test
    "You have joined 'test' (3)"
    Even though the /leavechannel commands didn't seem to do anything, miraculously the test chat channel is now working again on this character. I don't understand why, but some combination of commands must have managed to reset whatever broke. And relogging brings back the ticked channels in the tabs correctly again now.
    This doesn't fix guild chat though.
    I might have to ask someone to kick and re-invite me, see if that works. Otherwise I'm going to need some help from a coder to fix my character please!

Edited because I was told you're not supposed to post petition responses directly.
  2. ARCHIVED-Soresha Guest

It seems drastic measures were required to reset the guild chat channel on this character - leaving guild and getting a reinvite finally fixed it.
    Ugh what a NIGHTMARE!