Character will be stuck on IoR?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Phellen, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Kaldrun Member

do characters need to be a certain lvl to xfer off? i dont see the token avail on marketplace?
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Level 10 and typically you have to have been on the server for at least 30 days.
  3. Harlequin A bard.

More likely the change is to address the rampant plat inflation, owing in part to the buying and selling of gear to IoR. I personally welcome the change. People complain about pay-to-win all the time, and then turn around and do the server transfer tango... I didn't roll on an RMT server and don't like that it effects the economy of the server I'm on. I don't like being told "just go transfer a char to/from IoR!" in response to how to get an item or spell, I don't like hearing that people are taking masters from one server to sell to another because IoR"s prices are better.

If you don't like not being able to buy/sell gear, why don't you just play on IoR?
    Lysia and Jaden like this.
  4. Thand Well-Known Member

What is a Pain is they ended transfers a Half hour before it was posted they would so many got stuck
  5. Melkior Well-Known Member

Just curious, why wait until the last possible moment? It sucks that they stopped early, but personally I'd have been afraid of technical glitches and ensured I was off well before the deadline. But I'm paranoid that way I guess..
    Siren, Tkia, Twyla and 3 others like this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There was probably an exploit happening that they were shutting down.
    Siren, Rosyposy and Lysia like this.
  7. Lysia Active Member

another game I play often gets rid of "features" because players find that that "feature " is a nice little way to make the game easier .... and use it, a lot --- I never went to that server, too afraid of repercussions I guess --- LOL
    but I can see where the devs might go -- "we never intended this to be used like this" and shut it off ... good for them
    Twyla likes this.
  8. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

It was because people were using IoR to obtain the necessary pieces to unlock T13 crates on live.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

What I hear you saying is that people were freely trading ... on the free trade server. How diabolical. :rolleyes:
    Xianthia, AOE1, Hiza and 3 others like this.
  10. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

IKR! The only issue I can actually see with it, is it shone a light on just how terribly the itemisation has been handled this xpac. It's funny that they decided to kill a server rather than, you know, just try to do a better job.
    Tkia, Dude and Pixistik like this.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

More, "People were laundering ill-gotten plat-exploit gains somehow involving IoR".
    Lysia likes this.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

Except that's not what Tanto said. Not even close.
    Pixistik likes this.
  13. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

How do we really know if was ill-gotten?
    I have an obscene amount that was not ill-gotten
    Dude likes this.
  14. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Source? Or just guessing?
    Dude likes this.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

We do know that there has been a recent plat exploit. That's what causes inflation.
    Lysia likes this.
  16. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Yah and we can guess what it was. Of course, those who use it won't admit to it. And the major cause of the plat explosion is considered 'legal'.
  17. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Yea but they made the rules
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

So far I haven't heard even a breath of what the actual exploit was. Which is surprising, because normally the yahoos who exploit tell all their friends and then there's a bunch of people using the exploit and word gets out. If the exploiters managed to keep it close to the vest, they'd be unusual for the general run of cheaters.

Back in 2009, when the game was still part of SOE, the company released 60TB of game data to researchers. I've read a lot of the research that came out of that, and some researchers demonstrated ways to track both the cheaters and the ill-gotten gains from cheating (in 2009, that was mostly gold-farming and selling gold for real world money, but it's still applicable). I've always hoped that research would lead to automated ways for the game to detect plat exploits and at least alert the devs they're happening.

Also part of the research from that dataset were papers studying Norrathian economics. I also wish the company would ask various econ programs for a grad student interested in studying inflation and means of halting inflation in-game, with an eye to real world applications. That would be a big help not only for Norrathians, but potentially the rest of us outside of the game.
    Lysia and Twyla like this.
  19. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

It. Wasn't. An. Exploit.

It was just that you could transfer to IoR, buy loads of 335+ gear on the broker, then transfer back to your server and go straight into getting T13 crates from the merchant.

A few players who are cleverer than the devs made them and their itemisation structure for this xpac look very poor quality.
    Dude and Pixistik like this.
  20. Lysia Active Member

and abusing a feature of a game can and often does -- get it removed ---
    have seen it happen in many games --- maybe the feature of the server was abused and not used as intended ....
    just saying

Anyone remember that great "Gray Shard " thing we all did way back there ?
    Yes, it was legal and we all did it -- but it was removed because the devs didn't want us to do it --
    we took advantage of it, and eventually lost it