Character model upgrade...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vaelfear, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Adevil Well-Known Member

There was at least one colony of Kerran in EQ1. IIRC they were a primitive tribal race at that time, not as well evolved as their cousins who lived on Luclin.
  2. Avouriel the Ratonga Active Member

Yeah, I know, Plus, the Vah Shir look SOOOOO much better than the Kerra, even with the extremely outdated graphics of EQ1, they still look better.
  3. Chrisworld Active Member

I use a mixture of SOGA and Original across my settings from refined tastes over the years. I really don't think adding new models is important and consolidating to one would remove options from the game and leave a lot of people mad including myself, likely to the point of no longer playing which means less money for them. Best to just leave things, when things that have been solid for years start getting toyed with issues arise.
  4. d1anaw Well-Known Member

Let me guess, you want the female chests to be even bigger and more out of line with the rest of their body? It has been clear to me who the developers of female characters were. They could give us some more hair styles, perhaps some new facial features and still keep the basics in place.
  5. Qixil Active Member

You're awesome.

I used to go to Crypt of Nadox just to see the female troll zombies once in a while, and I hoped there would be a player illusion of that model. In first person mode, if they are bashed with a shield, you can see very clearly there is a lot of "flop" going on. Maybe it could be an attack or defense mechanism. Oh, and the sounds they made... LOL
    Finora likes this.
  6. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

A. Hi!
    B. Hello!
    C. Good evening!

Timestamp fail :(
    Whole skit is good, I meant from 1:22 on
  7. Adevil Well-Known Member

Chill. Nobody is saying the toons need breast augmentations to deform them.

Edit: We've got Kardashians and others to demonstrate how disgusting that looks. Fall out of your bra often? Not a good look.
  8. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I cannot stand the look of original models save for 1 race, and that's Ogres. the rest all look like a playdoh stop motion model you'd see in one of those frosty the snowman ones they show at Xmas every year.

That said, Soga aren't perfect, of course. they do have less variety in some aspects and some races/parts seem exceptionally skinny. but I'd rather be slightly skinny then look like I was made of playdoh.
    s7n7a7k7e likes this.
  9. Nuhvohk Active Member

99% of each type of armor in this game has the same model just with different textures. Wouldn't be that hard to do.
  10. Regolas Well-Known Member

I use probably 80% SOGA models. I think they're generally more realistic.

I have my main character, Regolas the wood elf, set up to look as close to the elves in Lord of the Rings as possible. Standard models look nothing like how I'd describe elves.

There are a few standard models that look how I'd expect that race to look, but generally the soga are better.
  11. Estred Well-Known Member

Yep. Basically a few bazillion hours of work sorting through ancient files that may follow different naming conventions or not even be compatible with current software due to outdated code or file works which then require rehaul or converison let alone the work that .... I think I'll stop before I write another essay.
    Spindle likes this.
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

Except I know from talking with them to make Custom Armor (Player Studio) side you would need to make roughly 60 models to each be strung to each race. Despite being "the same armor" the models are rigged differently per race. A New-Armor take a lot of time to re-rig to all those races and SOGA/NON-SOGA and Male/Female. Then do that for every armor piece in the new set.

Would you like to repeat that 60 armor skinning and rigging process constantly? They'd never get anything done. The funny fact is if SOGA didn't exist, they would only have to do 30. I don't mind them and I use a mix of both but nobody can deny they cause a lot of extra work.
    Deveryn likes this.
  13. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Since we're on the topic of fixing Aerakyn wings, how about fixing Aerakyn wings? They're huge. Ginormous. Occlude so much of the screen, not to mention - they don't look like any other Aerakyn mob in the game. Just sayin.
    Prissetta likes this.
  14. Avouriel the Ratonga Active Member

Yays~, finally someone agrees with me. Soga looks WAAAAAY better than Original because of that reason
  15. Rainmare Well-Known Member

there's nothing wrong with Aerakyn wings. the player model/player Aerakyn's are stronger, more potent then the ones in Vesspyr. ours are the guys that Kera kept in reserve/out of sight while the ones that are mobs were the weaker ones he could more easily dominate with the Tear.

the player ones are more in tune to how the Eq1 Drakklin look then the Eq2 Awakened Aerakyn.

of course if you want them to simply make all Aerakyn look like the ones in ToV, I'm sure no one would get upset, right? I like the distiguishing wings and facial horns and colors of the player version vs the awakened version, myself, and so does my partner who has a female aerakyn conjy (mines a zerker)
  16. Adevil Well-Known Member

ttobey might disagree with that.
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

It's funny to me because the way the skeleton & movements of the SOGA are exactly why I hate them so much, that and the dead eyes that are kind of just ...wrong to me.

I guess it's a good thing they still have both. =)

And I'm glad the fae, arasai use old elf models for bodies and Aerakyn are made more like old humans hehe.
    Ether and Mermut like this.
  18. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, the wings in and of themselves are a wonderous marvel. They look great. Except when the characters are at rest and they don't quite fold down completely.

[IMG]
    The image on the left is an aerakyn. The image on the right was taken from the original video that introduced us to the new playable race. As you can see in red, the distance between the elbow and the edge of the wing is quite different from how they were depicted originally. That's what I'm speaking to specifically.

Here's a snapshot with a couple of famous people in Freeport. I tried my best to mimic the distances between the feet as a reference (to the video). I chose on the the wider (if that's possible) to exaggerate the issue.
    [IMG]

I have a sneaky suspicion that the video released included beta versions of the wings or something. Here's a link to the vid I keep referring to:
  19. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, and I probably think it has to do with the fact they are also your flying mount, and like the feathers and other bat wings, they have that same spread out type look. but unlike the other wings, those are built into the model. and probably to get them to work as mounts, they need to be spread like they are. cause you'll notice in the videos not one of them ever flies, or even does a 'hover' animation. Maybe Ttobey can shed some light on why the Aerakyn wings are more spread out then in that video.
  20. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Phatkins, Covic and Gnobrin will probably also disagree.
    Finora likes this.