Character Customization

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

It focuses on looks naturally. That is the first thing we notice. What would also be cool is if we could add adjectives, in a sense, to our actions.

So if I walk, maybe I walk with a kind of strut. If I run, maybe I run like a gallop.

Also, what if we could customize out standby animations. Like I can add hand wringing to my character cause he is the nervous type.

Stuff like that.

Action + Adjective(s) = Characteristic(s)?
    Rifuul likes this.
  2. DustyBurrito Member

That would be super neat if there was a mechanic for this. But I guess we're just stuck to emotes lol
  3. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

I know that character customization could become time consuming. It's that way now in some games. Personally, after years of playing online games, recognition is primarily and overwhelmingly in the naming of characters. I see the name before anything else. For that reason, I am also a fan of being able to customize a character and re-customize a character at any time. That way, even part of the initial character customization could be postponed, or you might pick a starting location and then customize your character in the game. The client might have to load the tool for it but I have seen similar functionality in EQ1 or 2. Can't remember which.

Also, yeah, the name is the first thing I see. I wonder if it is a good or bad idea to allow some customization of how we display it. Colors. Framing. Effects? So that immediately you start to get a sense of style from players.
  4. Mr Kotter New Member

ESO has something like that. it's pretty neat!
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

That could be interesting. I honestly miss the face tracking feature that EQ2 had there for a while. It didn't work perfectly, but dang it was fun.

In EQ2 your options are:

/mood angry
    /mood afraid
    /mood happy
    /mood sad
    /mood tired
    /mood none ---takes it back to default look

And of course you can reset your look at any time for just a trip to the barber, even for your illusions.
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

I think EQ2 is one of the most forward thinking games that was made. I have not played all of the MMOs out there but I really have not found one that was more ambitious. I saw some footage from a new mmo game coming soon. I didn't even watch the whole thing. It is the same thing over and over. Why bother. At one point a wolf attacks the character and she kills it in 2 hits. She might as well been attacked by a gnat. (albeit, if it takes two hits to kill a gnat, it is a boss.)
  7. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

i guess I should not say "why bother" with making a game that is like the current mmos. i think progress in more incremental than revolutionary most of the time. I didn't watch all of it either. I think I am getting older and more cynical. To be accurate, the wolf was hit twice with a sword so it probably would die. Bit a wolf would not attack a armor clad man with a sword in his hand. Even a pack would probably be too scared unless circumstances were dire. I don't want to dis their hard work. That's wrong for me to do.
  8. Svenone Well-Known Member

YOU are being attacked by a gnat! You die from pain and suffering!
    (oh, the shame...)
    :D
    Rhodris likes this.