Channeler myth lore

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Lowratio, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Lowratio Member

I have started working on the myth for the Channeler. The class has to do several old zones and access quest lines that can take a couple days if you do not click things correct. Is there even the tiniest shred of lore in the old zones that has anything to do with this new class? So far it has been just a slow slog through mind numbing instance runs. I have yet to see any meaning to it all.

My thought is that the devs were just tired and could not come up with a quest line so tossed in a bunch of junk as a time sink.
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

I can't say much about the old zones you are required to run. but if you read the History of Vishar Vol 2 (spelling error) it hints to channelers in the SF/highlands area. which is where it starts. it's the tiniest string of lore possible. Vol 1 was a hint for the Beastlords in highlands as well
  3. Meirril Well-Known Member

Epic quest lines aren't always a lore fest. Channelers having no history it wouldn't be surprising to see their epic weapon involving mostly new lore, especially considering that the class was more or less created as a way to remove a Greater True Spirit from influence.
  4. Ucala Well-Known Member

also considering Channelers are brand new (lore wise) seeing as you are being taught the ways of the channeler by the very first channeler ever. they have no backstory because you are the backstory :p
  5. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the questline is very much lore informative in the usual 'Erudite/Gnome' mucks things up.

So far what I'm gathering is that an Erudite Channeler is trying to 'improve' the Channeler's power by channeling things other then animals. his first attempt is an Elemental, his second is a Troll, his Third (as far as I have gotten) is Humans. he's successful, but the Elementals are about to break the spine of the world as they put it, pissed off because Channeling them is breaking some sort of pact. probably whatever pact allowing Conjies to summon them. and it does horrible, horrible things to the more humanoid races.

You're on his trail, trying to get to him/stop him before he gets way outta hand. he's obviously not so much concerned with stopping/slowing down Syllok/Sellok...as he is with just increasing his own personal power.
  6. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

When I saw you had to do the Death Toll Access quest, I just pitched it. That quest was a pain when it was needed and now your gonna be slogging through grey zones for what could be days getting updates.

Gratz to those who could slog through.

No different from 'requiring' the Mark of Awakening which was a full x4 raid to get a solo quest done now. Someone is just plain ignorant.
  7. Ucala Well-Known Member

his ultimate was to try and channel the Sleeper (Keferyam) as he slowly grows more and more mad with power as he continues to channel more powerful beings. it's actually a quite interesting story indeed
  8. Tesura Grimm Member

Yeah, no real "Lore" atm...currently, Daleen is the first channeler. Do the prequest for channelers (started by black "smoking" deer in Commonlands and Antonica) and it shows her "becoming" a channeler. Ry'Izz (or whatever his name is....was /cough) was her student that she had at one point considered to stop teaching due to his attitude during his training. But he was a promising student, very talented so she kept training. Eventually I guess he went off on his own, and got curious about trying to make his constructs more powerful.

I like that they added a new class in this way (although I hear channelers now are what rangers were in eq1...never played though so don't quote me on that)...making the start of a class NOW with the players actively involved with it's conception.
  9. Meirril Well-Known Member

Rangers in EQ1 were hybrid warrior-rogues. At times they were absolutely useless and died as an afterthought to most attacks. At other times they were nigh invincible tanks that were considered critical for certain content (mostly raids). Oh, and they used bows too.

I really can't see channelers being anything like rangers, from role to abilities to lore. Seriously, nothing alike.
  10. Ucala Well-Known Member

It leaves a few things open ended of course, Daleen being the first channeler, she taught many channelers (never tells you exactly how many she taught). you were her most promising student she tells you. and you go learn about one of her other very promising students who considers Daleen weak and was holding him back from a channelers true power
  11. Arieste Well-Known Member

The channeler epic quest is terrible in terms of having to do some of the worst old quests.

The lore is pretty interesting though and probably more relevant to what's going on in Norrath than any other class' mythical. At least once you get close to the end and actually figure out what's up.
  12. Tesura Grimm Member

Yeah it is somewhat random. But following the timeline, you see that Rylizz is trying to channel the most powerful of each of the souls...he went to Moors to the troll "home" areas...Cobalt Scar for the human, Skyshrine for dragons...then he found at that souls not already in a mortal body were even more powerful so he went to the Ethernere to try to channel Melanie...but that failed and left the big puddle there. Yeah it's random but there is a little bit of order to the chaos. Was annoying having to do all the prereqs for the quest but the questline itself was fun.
  13. Ucala Well-Known Member

it wasn't random at all. atleast the starter wasn't.
    it was in the same books as the BL one. they are just pretty darn vague
  14. Arieste Well-Known Member

i'm not being sarcastic at all.. PLEASE explain this to me. I have asked every "lore expert" i know to explain to me exactly where the "hint" was for finding the starter and no one's been able to tell me. if the starter makes sense to you PLEASE explain to me how were "intended" to find it, because despite having my Mythical now and having read and re-read all of the channeler quest dialogue, i still haven't solved that mystery.
  15. Meirril Well-Known Member

None of the epic quests have hints to find them. All of them have some sort of hidden thing you have to do before you can actually get the quest. In the case of the paladin epic you have to happen to go into the Freeport Milita House and talk to an NPC in the prison. There really is no reason for a good PC to enter the Milita House, so the only reason it was discovered was because people were looking for the epic quest and the paladin epic was the last to be discovered of the original 24.

Another example is the brigand epic. Before you could get the quest you had to happen to be killing bandits in Jarsath Wastes (solo mobs), get a random corpse drop and try and collect a bounty (but honestly, who ignores a quest you get from corpse drops? Oh, yeah. Lots of people.). Then after you collect the bounty you get the actual quest for the epic. Again, no hints.

So no hint on where to find the starter for the channeler epic isn't a surprise. What is a surprise is that you have to keep revisiting the location because the other 25 epic quests don't do that. The pre-quest step is a throw away in every one of them. This is the only one where you immediately get lead to an important location. Also once you discover the pre-quest your at the same location as the quest starter. More than half of the other epic quests have a pre-quest starter that doesn't actually lead you to the quest! They are just invisible flags you have to collect before you can wander off to another zone for the actual starter.

So really, in a sense the channeler epic is a bit easier to discover than most of the other epic quests. Though most of the other quests involve killing random monsters or talking to NPCs to get the pre-quest flag. Clicking on a random book in the back of a hut you wouldn't go to otherwise...well the enchanter epic is kinda like that, isn't it? A few of the other epic quests also start from clickable items.
  16. Ucala Well-Known Member

I mean you have to be broad in your views. as Soe often is as well. and it's easy once you already know the answer.
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/A_History_of_the_Vah_Shir,_Vol._I_(House_Item)
    if you read the story it mentions about how they split up the lands of the highlands and Beastlords took the highest mountain on their land (BL starter was found on a hill/mountain).

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/A_History_of_the_Vah_Shir,_Vol._II_(House_Item)
    talks more about channelers in the sense that channelers are all about animal essences and pain and suffering etc etc. much like what is talked about if you did the channeler pre-quest (them choosing Daleen because she showed remorse) it also mentions the Kingdom of Odus (SF/highlands) so it concludes that the starter would be in one of the two (which it was).
    in fact I was about to check SF later that day that the epic was actually found :p was just laziness that beat me.
    and also mentions Ratha in the book, tying lore to the Odus lands

Like I said, it's not "bam here it is" but it's some lore backstory that channelers were in the kingdom of Odus