Casual Friendly Game/Groups/Guilds?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Xzyled, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Xzyled New Member

Hello folks!
    I'm mostly after playing in groups with guild folk, which I rarely got to do in my last go around playing the game. How open is the game in group play aspects toward casual players?
    For those who are curious my idea of casual is maybe 2-3 nights a week for 3-5 hours a pop and a few 5-7 hour weekend days here and there.

A few years ago I was playing a SK and had a lot of fun with it. I got to level 62 or so and a Fury to level 92 both on Antonia Bayle server.
    I have a free 100 boost from buying the latest expansion which I can use at some point.
    For all intents and purposes I'm still a new player in the game and will be looking for a relaxed guild that fits my personality, experience, and what not (but that is a different thread in a different part of the forums).

Any advice for server types, archetypes, etc.? My through the week active hours would typically be between 4pm EST to 10pm EST if that matters.

~Xzyled
  2. dorotea Well-Known Member

Plenty of guilds on all the live servers - the progression server and free trade server are smaller and I can't answer for them. If I had to rank them I would say in order from least active to most active Antonia Bayle, Skyfall, Halls of Fate, Maj'Dul but all have quite a few active guilds.Your casual is closer to many people's hardcore so I wouldn't worry.
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

We are casual but our prime heroic times are Monday and Tuesday nights but mainly evening EST USA.(our main tank is on then) but when we get more people we will do them more often. But we are VERY casual and relaxed. On AB server (roleplay). So may be too late for you and not often enough, so just keep me in mind if you get desperate for a guild *grins*
  4. Lil Mantis Member

So Maj'Dul is one of the more active servers aye? That's good to know. I guess there have been a few server merges that occurred while I was away because I believe I started on Butcherblock. I have a handful of characters that landed on Maj'Dul. My highest level character being a 53 berserker. I've recently installed EQ2 again and have been logging in nightly to fool around with research stuff but have not ventured outside of my home/city. I no longer have any friends who are active in EQ2 so I'm in a guild which I seem to be the only member who has logged in for a few months now.. LOL. I'll be looking to find a guild that accepts "new players".
  5. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

whats your guild? and what are the hours on Monday and Tuesday?
  6. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Army of the Obliteration (from the lore of EQ1). http://www.obliterationarmy.com/ is our website, take a look. We normally do our heroic runs then, on Monday and Tuesday night (but more often depending on who logs on and wants to) around 8pm EST (roughly, again depends on who is on and who is interested). Attendence is optional, as is logging in. We are here for fun, not as a job. Alts welcome as are F2P players. Just relax and don't cause problems, in guild or in game and it will be fine. Oh, and any guildie can invite, don't have to wait for an officer to get online.
    ConcealFate likes this.
  7. Rolar Noctis New Member

Thanks for the reply from the other thread of mine. I might start a necro on AB and give you or some of ya a shout out for a guild. like I mentioned in the other thread its been literally YEARS since I have played so, might need some help with the basics if thats ok with you all. Gonna check out your website now.
  8. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Sure, our GL can give you advice, his main is his necro. We take all in. We encourage RP but don't demand it. We are a casual guild so np at all.
  9. Rolar Noctis New Member

Great..I dropped in the game a bit this am, all started to come back to me, kinda. Can we have more than one spell bar ? So many questions...

I do have a race question, what races works for Necro ? in EQ1 I was Eurdite, was thinking about that again, or do racial abilities not really matter ? I know there is the "good / evil / neutral" races thing, that just effects where ya start right ?

Also, about the merc thing....how does that work ? Something I need to concern myself with starting out or no ?
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Okay, most races that can be a necro should do okay, but being prejudged toward dark elves, I would say a dark elf, but that's me. Others may suggest something different and why. I like dark elves for see in total darkness, and hover (non-mount floating ability).

Mercs, I believe you had to buy the ability, but if you get the KA expansion, its unlocked for you, but not sure. Once its unlocked, you have to hire the merc you want. You can rehire anytime but if you change mercs (hire a different one), you have to go back to merc #1 to rehire, unless you pay DBC for the ability to hire anywhere. Also, the mercs (standard ones) become somewhat useless about lvl 90 or so, so I don't suggest paying for lots of merc slots, unless you want to. Gear for mercs isn't possible until level 100, I think.

Hope this helps.
  11. Rolar Noctis New Member

It does. I have been doin a bit of reading before I jump back in. One question in the back of my mind is this. EQ2 is quite old (in MMO years anyway). I was wondering, how much life you see left in it. I dont have a issue buying KA, just wondering your opinion on this.

I took a look at your website, seems you guys are mainly a RP guild...is that required ? I did a bit of RP back in the day, but has been a while. Also, regarding your raids, do you have a voice server, if so is that required (I ask because I don't particularly like voice servers for reasons I don't want to go into here)
  12. Meneltel Well-Known Member

RP encouraged, but never demanded. It is casual, as in all things we do. As for voice, we use in game voice. you don't have to talk (I don't use a mic for personal reasons, due to my caretaking a family member in a small house so my talking after he has gone to bed would disturb him) but you would need to listen, that's all. We are very casual. You log on when you want, just don't cause problems. In guild or in game public. We have had people not log on in three years, still on the rolls. Even has some log back into to their surprise to see still in the guild and it active.

As for the time left in EQ2? TBH, don't spend any more cash than you have to. I don't know how long it will last, so spend only what you can afford to pay for a service that you don't get to keep (like cable or electricity or so on). Just relax and enjoy it and hope we make some memories and screenshots that will last a lifetime!

KA is "needed" at 100. So reach that first before you decide. However, I do encourage you to buy allaccess, to help support the game that way. And you get lots of neat little benefits with that. Just my 2 copper pieces worth.
  13. Rolar Noctis New Member

Thanks for all the replies, you have been very helpful. I plan on buying the all access, I have found F2P on most games is severely limited, and I like to support the games I play, devs gotta eat also. I do have a mic, but I don't use it much, I beat throat cancer but voice is VERY raspy so....but listening is a no problem. Your guild sounds like an excellent fit, I am debating either Eurdite or Dark Elf Necro, so we will see how it goes.

What do you mean by KA is "needed" at 100 ? and is really possible to reach 100 with just the game download from the website, without any other DLC ?

Funny you mention screenshots, ya, I have memories and screens of my times in EQ1.....was thinking about one of the funnier moments yesterday actually, still makes me laugh. My play time is a little convoluted at the moment, will drop in when I can. Who should I talk to in your guild ?
  14. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Well, most of the guild heroic runs are in KA zones. So if you want to run with the A team at all, you will need KA eventually. As for asking who to join, ANY guildie online can invite. Just sent them a tell. You don't have to wait for an officer to be online. That's how casual we are!