Can't set Voice Output to USB Headset

Discussion in 'Voice Chat Support' started by ARCHIVED-Henge42, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Henge42 Guest

I can't set my voice chat to output via my USB headset, they don't showup in the drop down, although I can select them as mic input.
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

Do you have the most up to date software/drivers for this device?
  3. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

USB headsets work by basically carrying their own little sound card. Although USB is supposed to get recognised when you plug it in I would suggest you do the following.
    Switch off your pc. Plug in the headset. Restart your pc and log in. The headset should now be an option in the input/output drop down menus.
    I used to have a similar problem in that just plugging in while the game was running meant I could use the mic but the sound was still coming out the speakers. Doing the above sorted it all out for me. I now have the voive in the headset and the EQ2 sounds still out the speakers.
    Hope this helps.
  4. ARCHIVED-Nexxus Guest

I have the same problem with my USB headset. The mic works, but it doesn't show as an option for the output. The problem with plugging in the headset before I start the game is that I end up with game sounds in my headset, VERY anoying! I want game sounds in my speakers and voice chat in my headset.
  5. ARCHIVED-Nailuj Guest

I have the same issue , but I dont use a usb headset. I use two different soundcards. All of my normal audio uses the soundblaster and comes out of my speakers. For voice chat I use my onboard sound because that has front jack inputs. In game I can set the mic to use the front jack inputs but not the output , so all voices were comming from my speakers which of course I do not want. Oh well back to vent.
  6. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

I ran into the same problem and wrestled with it for 30 minutes and finally got it working.

It took me about 10 times quitting and restarting EQ2 and fooling around with the settings to get my Logitech USB headset to work.
    I had to plugin the headset, go and make sure the Logitech USB was NOT the default sound source. Then I uncheced "Use only default devices". Then I went to the Voice page and set the input and output to the Logitech.
    Now my Logitech headset is working properly.
  7. ARCHIVED-Henge42 Guest

I'm running Vista 64 with it's drivers. Vista recognises the headset and it also works with Skype, Vent and Team speak without problems.

The headset appears every where it should except EQ2 output for chat dropdown.
  8. ARCHIVED-Lenvaren Guest

Errolflynn@Befallen wrote:
    I have the exact same problem here except I'm on Vista 32bit. USB Headset that will only allow me to select the microphone from the input list and not the attached headphones fom the output list. Also works perfectly fine with Teamspeak and Ventrillo.
    My headset is permanently plugged in so it's not a case of plugging it in at the wrong moment. Also, as it's a USB headset the only drivers that should affect anything is the USB drivers...Window's itself is fully up to date, for some reason it would seem that EQ2's new voice software can only detect one input/output from one source.
    Please look into this one, it's really annoying having to have the voice output to the main speakers, in fact, it's all pretty much useless to me until I can get them to the headset, can't really enjoy the sound effects of the game with voices constantly in the way
  9. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

Can you post any model numbers and driver versions of hardware you are using?
  10. ARCHIVED-Henge42 Guest

TSR-TrevorG wrote:
    I'm using a Plantronics DSP 400 usb headset with Vista 64 Ultimate with the standard usb drivers. Platronics do not supply any drivers of their own.

I also have a creative SB Live Gamer card which is set as the default system output device.
  11. ARCHIVED-Lenvaren Guest

Hmmm that's interesting...
    I'm using a Plantronics DSP 100 headset, am on 32bit Vista and also using the current Vista USB drivers. As already stated there is no specific software that goes with the headset, it usually works just fine as it is. I also have a X-Fi Fatality soundcard for the main sound output.
    Just for the record, the headset works fine within Vista, works fine within Ventrillo and also works fine within Teamspeak. There are absolutely no issues with the prementioned software when selecting the headset for voice transmissions alone and having the main sound of whichever game's being played coming out of the main speakers. When looking in the sound hardware devices screen within Vista the headset is shown both in the input list (microphone) and the output list (headset/speakers). Within EQ, when the output list is opened up it's not shown there at all, while it is shown in the input list within EQ2.
    Hope that helps.
  12. ARCHIVED-Ildarus Guest

No problems here on my XP SP3 or my Vista 64bit. Both systems show a drop down list that has Sound Blaster and whatever USB headset I have plugged in. Oh, I used to have a Vista 32 bit system as well, and it worked fine there to, but I got some more memory recently and wanted to take full advantage of it so I switched Vista to 64 bit.
    Keep your software and drivers up to date.
  13. ARCHIVED-Henge42 Guest

There are no drivers to update !!

My headset works perfectly on all software other than EQ2 where it does not get listed as an output device but is listed as an input device.
  14. ARCHIVED-AngryKitty Guest

Same issue here on Vista 64. I dont get any options on choosing output. Input selection works fine. My soundcard is an X-Fi Platinum something (with the huge breakout box), running the following driver:
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1284 (English)
    Date and Size: 7/15/2008 18:14:12, 868888 bytes
    That is'nt the problem though. The problem is that the voicechat software doesnt recognize anything else. I have tried a usb plantronics headset, a microsoft lifechat 300 and 6000 (the wireless one) and finally enabled onboard audio with an analog headset, to see if it would at least detect that. No luck on either.
    The only workaround i have found (to let me use speakers for music and movies etc), is setting the headset i want to use as default in windows, then start eq2. That will sometimes let me go back into windows and set speakers to default for music, while keeping the chat in the headset. Note the sometimes, as it various between the headsets, and even between sessions. It is somewhat a pain to have to set that in windows every time.
    Let me know if there is any info i can add to help on a possible fix.
  15. ARCHIVED-Nexxus Guest

I've got Windows XP with a Logitech USB headset, no drivers to update anywhere. Works perfectly with Vent.
    Since everyone else seems to be having trouble with Vista, I wanted to make sure you know it's not just a Vista problem.
  16. ARCHIVED-Zephanor Guest

It's quite possibly a problem with Vista or better yet with how the game (or more specifically the voice piece) interacts with Vista. Since this is not an issue with other applications (such as Vent/TS, etc) I'm more inclined to believe it's the latter.

I too have Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1. I'm using the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic with drivers 6.0.1.1304 dated 2/22/2008 (I'll upgrade the drivers soonish.) My headset is the Cyber Acoustics AC-840 and they do not provide drivers for this headset as it's USB, it uses the Windows provided driver.

All other applications for this headset work fine (Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Sighspeed and work VoIP softphone.) The microphone works fine in game but I am not able to select the headset for my output.

Thanks!
  17. ARCHIVED-Lenvaren Guest

It's can't solely be down to Vista as someone previously posted they were having the same issues with XP. although I too first thought that it may well be.
    There's obviously quite a few folks suffering with this issue, would be nice to figure out some sort of resolution as at the moment having the voice out of the main speakers is horrible so I have just turned the whole thing off. This set up issue is making the whole voice thing completely useless to me at least. Which is annoying to say the least as it seems to be fairly good overall, with this small issue that you'd have thought would be relatively simple to resolve making it practically unuseable.
    It seems to me it's simply an issue with how the voice program detects what input and output devices u have installed/connected...it's obviously detecting the USB headsets as no one's having an issue selecting the microphone as the input device...you guys just need to figure out why it's not detecting that the same item is able to be an output device also when all other voice programs out there appear to have no issue doing so.
    Over to the techie guys
  18. ARCHIVED-Dakwest Guest

In my experience, the headset (Logitec USB) will work as long as it is plugged in before running the game.
    To me it looks like EQ2 will use whatever outputdevice Windows is using when you start up EQ2. After that, it's locked to that output and you can't change it. Relogging will fix the problem.
    If I plug in my headset while EQ2 is running, Windows will switch to the headset on the background (will get any non EQ sound on headset), but EQ2 will keep using my speakers. Has been this way since long before the last GU.
  19. ARCHIVED-Henge42 Guest

Llenwyn@Runnyeye wrote:
    I don't unplug my headset, it's left plugged in at all times.

What I want is the main sound to come out my speakers and the chat to comeout my headset. This always works with TS, Vent and Skype.

As I have said before everything can see the headset both input and output except EQ2 which only shows the mic.
  20. ARCHIVED-Lenvaren Guest

Has there been any news or updates concerning this issue?

Unfortunately none of the suggestions made so far have been any help and the problem's not gonna resolve itself. I'm sure there are many more people suffering along with this than have bothered to come here and post...it would be nice to have this resolved so I/we can make use of this new feature rather than just having to disable it as it's not working right.

Summary so far :-

There are no drivers - USB headsets generally use the built in window's ones.

The problem is only ocurring in EQ2...all other internet based VOIP software appears to be able to use mic/headsets just fine.

It's a problem that's ocurring on XP, Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit.

USB headset combo's have a mini soundcard inside...so don't use the main pc sound card, so drivers for that should be irrelevant.