Can Wizard Solo?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-Wordslinger, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Wordslinger Guest

Want to know how Wizard does solo in EQ2? Can they solo early on, then have to group at high levels? I'm only lvl 11 Sorceror now, but solo seems fine. I need to be able to solo long term, though. Please, no flames about "why would you want to solo?" I'm a family man and for me it's either solo 90% of the time or don't play. Thanks for input.
  2. ARCHIVED-Kimpe Guest

I'm soloing whites and yellows just fine at level 20, if that says anything.
  3. ARCHIVED-Demvaril Guest

Wordslinger i'm in same situation as you, family man who has to solo play most of the time, so i hope we wizzies can get away with soloing all the way to 50.
  4. ARCHIVED-Yobert Guest

I just hope that higher level mobs dont summon like they did in EQ1
  5. ARCHIVED-LordDragon Guest

We solo just fine. At lvl 18 I still solo better than most. You do not want to take on groups of mobs if you can avoid it, heh. Although there are exceptions. We are rapid single target killers, and can put down mobs faster than most, meaning less downtime.

I suggest your start with a frostwhirl to do damage and reduce elemental mitigation, then chain blaze and ice spike, working in HOs as you can. You will smoke them fast.
  6. ARCHIVED-Entemoch Guest

In beta i was soloing oranges and yellows all day as a 28 wizzy .. /hides from the nerf bat
  7. ARCHIVED-PBamasi Guest

Sounds encouraging for wizards. Is Wizard the best mage profession for soloing?

EDIT: I'm a level 9 mage, btw, so that's why I'm asking.
    Message Edited by PBamasi on 11-18-2004 05:04 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-Zcenicx Guest

This is entirely IMO.

Wizards are probably the most usable of the classes. Good solo, good grouped.
    Warlocks are good at both too, but rely more on dots than DD.

Illusionists are **ZOMG** hard to solo with, since they lack the damage potential of the sorcerer classes. Still, with some good tactics it's doable. They excel in groups though, with mezzes and stuns being their main weapon.

Conjurers lack both the high damage potential of the sorcerers and the mezzes of the illusionists, but are so-so on both sides. I think they're better soloing since their pets can take some damage off the conjurer, but in group they lack much use.

Adara Frostbourne, Wizard of Qeynos, Lost Souls Guild, Najena Server
    Message Edited by Zcenicx on 11-20-2004 05:54 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-Ulkesh Guest

at 23 its frustrating to solo mainly because its so hard to find upgrades to spells. it makes blues and even cons seem even harder
  10. ARCHIVED-StormYYC Guest

Zcenicx... Warlock have 50% more DD than Wizards, Wizards 50% more DoT than Warlocks ...
  11. ARCHIVED-Zcenicx Guest

L20-29 Wizards get more DoTs, and more DDs than the Warlock. More importantly, they get twice the amount of AoE spells.

L30-39 the Wizards get less attack spells overall than the Warlocks. This means they get more buffs/debuffs but without counting them, Wizards are less of an attack class at this point. Both get equal amounts of AoE spells though.
    The big difference is in the 30-35 lvl range, where the Wizards almost gets no attack spells at all.

So, left is L40-50, endgame, The Wizard gets two more AoEs (twice as many), both DoTs, than the Warlock. 1 less DD, and that DD is added at the absolute maximum L50. The Wizards offensive power endgame is thus higher than the Warlocks.

End result, the only time the Wizard has less offensive power, both in DD and DoTs, is in the level 30-35 range. What part of my statement was wrong? The rest of the time the Wizard both has more DD, DoT and AoE spells.

BTW, Warlocks have more, (better?) debuffs and the wizards have in their hand more (better?) buffs.

Adara Frostmourne, Koada'Dal Wizard of Qeynos, Lost Souls Guild, Najena Server.
  12. ARCHIVED-LordDragon Guest

Just because a class gets fewer new attack spells in a given range does not mean it is worse during those levels. Spell damage scales up significantly as you level. The same lvl blaze spell does twice the damage at 20 as it does at 10. the wizard spells from earlier levels will scale just as well, so while another class may get a new attack spell, it doesn't mean it does anymore damage than the one wizards got 6 levels ago.
  13. ARCHIVED-Splatterpunk28 Guest

You know, I'm really tired of reading this assumption everywhere. Why do people think Warlocks rely on DoTs? Read the spell lists if you haven't grouped with warlocks. Warlocks have more DD than Wizards do.

But to answer the original question, wizards seem to be able to solo just fine. Level 6, level 15, level 20. However, there are many, many quests that will require you to have groups. So keep that in mind.

Also, it's best to work on your defense at early levels. Don't be afraid to stand toe to toe with mobs, get a dot on 'em and then melee/nuke 'em down. The root, dot, nuke is useful for more than one mob, but keeping your attack and defense up is very useful when soloing.
    Message Edited by Splatterpunk28 on 11-22-2004 08:14 AM
  14. ARCHIVED-jo0 Guest

Just to let everyone know what PoV im coming from (Point of View) I'm a level 22 Wizard on the Oasis Server.

Ok lets start by saying, Yes.. Now i don't mean level 27 Mobs in the TS but you can Solo level 20's (Single) at certain level's and hold your own pretty much all the way up. The thing Wizards are known for are, c'mon i know you know it... *NUKES* <---Don't you love it :smileytongue: Now if your not familer with the Phrase "Nuke" It is a massive damage magical attack bestowed apon a enemy Causeing a large lumpsome of damage. In short terms, we hit fast and very very hard. Not to mention the DoT's we have (Damage over Time) (I'm Explaining the terms for players who are new no biggy for seasoned vets at EQ) Anyhow I'll now tell you how I like to Solo and give you some pointers. First thing to becoming a good wizard is = Inteligence the more the marrier. So when ever you have the choice to have that increased make sure to do it. Now at level's such as 22, with Adept 1 Breath of Tyrant, and Blaze Adept 1-3 you can do excess of 170+ damage easy, if combined with the right spells. Now what i mean by that is EX - if you cast Freezing Whirl the creature attacking you will have a DoT on him and be vunrable to elemental attacks, So once you have that on a enemy you can nuke for bout 1/2 times more then without it on (This applys for Blaze and Breath of the Tyrant). This is more of a walk through for 18-22 players but same rules apply to the newer ones as well so here it goes. P.S - Make sure painfull meditation is atleast app. III

I like to start by useing Gift Of Magi on myself then Accord = (You gain Magic Over time.)
    Then i like to pit burning radience on myself to kinda give me that warm feeling inside :smileytongue: J/p it's to give me a chance of hitting extra fire damage, remeber what ever you can do to give:smileytongue:yourself the edge, do it we are not tanks and we need everything we can to kill a enemy with the minimal life loss. Ok with the self buff's outta the way lets start the Attack.

1. I like to cast a root first to keep the enemy as far from me as physicly possible, lower levels can use arcane bindings, higher levels can use Frozen Manacles. Like i said before try these to have at Adept I or App. III if not they will break and the creature will probably chase you to the Zone :p.
    2. DoT, DoT, DoT!!!! I can't exagerate this anymore. Ok I could but you get the idea. I like to start with Freezeing Whorl, Then Ice Blast ( This is a AoE (Area of Effect) but never the less its a dot and helps increase Dps) and last but not least Incenerate to add to the Dps.
    3.After all this i would recomend a re-root, you do not want a level 20 or any type of creature breaking loose and beating you silly. Ok now the creature is locked down like mad, DoT'ed like no other and Vunrable to You Blaze and Breath Of the Tyrant. Time to have some fun.
    4. Nuke Nuke Nuke. Hit it and hit it hard with Breath of the Tyrant, Then blaze then Breath Of the Tyrant, Rinse and repeat.
    5. When you start running low and need to make a "Last Ditch Effort" use painfull meditation to migrate some health to mana and nuke them with that final blow. Make sure the nuke will finish them or you will be left with no power to run :p.
    5. You can apply more roots, the spell Freeze to stun and cause ice damage. But from here on out your free to experment and do what you feel is best for that kinda mob.
    I really hope this helped all you Upcoming Wizards and Current Wizards. Thats my 2 cents. :)

-Orangejoos
    Level 22 Wizard
    Level 10 Inchanter
    Oasis
    Message Edited by jo0 on 11-22-2004 08:35 AM
    Message Edited by jo0 on 11-22-2004 08:38 AM
  15. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Not sure what spell list you are looking at but it looks like both Wizards and Warlocks get 3 AoE spells from 20 to 29.. Also you get only 1 more DD spell then us and both only get 1 DoT spell.. So from 20 to 29 the Wizard get one more DD spell over the Warlock.

True enough..

Warlocks get 3 AoE spells Wizards get 5 AoE (if you count have an DoT on your AoE Root and advantage.. I personally think it's a bad thing and IF your pet does in combat.. Highly unlikely with any kind of tank..)

Your comparison in this thread is WAY off.. You give more credit from DD spells then AoE spells.. You also give very little credit for a power tap DD spell..

Also the pets as described lead me to believe they aren't in the same league..
    Wizard 48 - Protoflame (Summons a fiery pet that attacks target, if killed AoE Healt DD)
    Warlock 48 - Netheros (Summons a powerful minion to attack enemy, drains power and immobilizes warlock. *Requires Nil Crystal to cast*)

I think your comparison is far from fair or accurate and since you are a confirmed Wizard it bit bias..
    Message Edited by Junaru on 11-22-2004 04:59 PM