burning out with tinker on no skill ups.

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

i am getting tired and going postal.
    almost 1 hr crafting during 155 tink skill recipe, currently on 162/460, trying to reach 180th skill recipe.
    just went from 160 to 162 in 1 hr is terrible, i would assume it may take random of 1 in 4 attempts. but this tradeskilling need some major love as i am trying for next tinker festival, i had failed 2010 and 2011 because my skill is too low and trying to get that "pirate" tinker faction at Thurgadin's dockyard, i think it need 400th, but not confirmed.
    only way to trick for quick skill ups, but not always works, by doing crafting an item if you get skill up, then stop and do other stuffs for several minutes before resuming tinkerings.
    is there a faster way? i have most of recipes scribed and alot more in my bank as they are still "red conned".
    by the way devs, when do we get "Crafter Dressing" panel? i got some crafter gears sitting in packbags, and it getting crowded with crates of armors, pets, and illusions/guises items. would be cool if that has options to "check on/off" mode when adventuring and avoid gear damages by death effect.
  2. ARCHIVED-Katz Guest

I used a simple crafting bench ( the one that only crafts the first bar). It uses more materials but takes a lot less time. If you are going to get a skill up, you will get it with crafting only the first bar. So that saves time.

You can use a regular bench and stop after the first bar but to me its easier to just use the simple bench.
  3. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Tyrus@Butcherblock wrote:
    All skillups are subservient to the RNG. But laddie, yer going about this with the wrong mindset!
    I have been a crafter since the days long ago when you had to do a zillion subcomponents before you could craft the desired item. I had to refine ore into bars, then make bars into chain or plate, make paper, so I could make pattern, so I could make armor padding.... after, of course, spinning the fibers, making thread, and weaving cloth. etc. etc. ad nauseam.
    What ye need is a wee something to make the time pass a bit faster. I pass it by working on my alcohol tolerance while I craft. If the boredom drives ye to drink, that's a GOOD thing!
    Failing that, play some tunes, turn on a TV, make your external environment more enjoyable.
    Crafting is not supposed to be fast or simple. But there IS some gear to assist you in making tinkering easier:
    • \aITEM 2008805349 -1770471037 0:[Othmir Shell Armor]\/a
      DoV crafting questline reward. +5 to tinkering, and +5% to progress
      [IMG]

• \aITEM 188326880 795177371 0:[Tinkerer's Belt]\/a
      Level 70 drop from Screwloose the Mad Tinkerer (The Estate of Unrest) and often available on the broker, +10 tinkering
      [IMG]

• \aITEM -642327463 -1630209615 0 0 -2074690258:[Earring of the Solstice]\/a
      You want to right-click on the earring and select USE. It boosts your speed and success chances.
      [IMG]

• \aITEM -1324208021 1214540530:Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl\/a
      Reward from the quest "What Dreams May Come" in Great Divide.
      +25 tinkering, +5 Tradeskill XP Gain
      [IMG]

• \aITEM -633321665 580569421:Sathirian Reverence Statue\/a
      Right click to get the Favor of the Artisan buff, good for 9 minutes of +25 to skill, usable once per hour
      Carpenter-crafted using a level 79 recipe from Riliss Craftmanship Volume II.To get the recipe requires 30K Riliss faction (Rise of Kunark)
      [IMG]

• \aITEM -2076038778 -1022829978:Statue of a Di'Zok Warrior\/aRight click to get the Favor of the Artisan buff, good for 9 minutes of +25 to skill, usable once per hourCarpenter-crafted using a level 79 recipe from Bathezid Craftmanship Volume II. To get the recipe requires 30K Bathezid faction (Rise of Kunark)
      [IMG]

• \aITEM -248879444 1796395168:[Statue of a Sathirian Warrior]\/a
      Right click to get the Favor of the Artisan buff, good for 9 minutes of +25 to skill, usable once per hourCarpenter-crafted using a recipe from Danak Craftmanship Volume II. To get the recipe requires 30K Danak faction (Rise of Kunark)
      [IMG]
  4. ARCHIVED-kdmorse Guest

160 to 162, in one hour. Even if the RNG despises you with all it's heart, that's far worse than expected. Last toon I tinkered up it was somewhere between 20 and 50 skillups per hour.
    Might I ask how many combines you are doing per hour? (It should be well in the 100+ range).
    Drive progress reactives, and hit stop as soon as you finish one bar, rinse, and repeat. If you're having problems completing the recipie you're attempting that way, try an easier recipie. Sure, the skillup rate per combine is a bit lower, but if you're really struggling with on-level combines, you'll still come out ahead.
  5. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    you *almost* got everything if i recall correctly you can get mara crafting clothing which gives +1 to tinkering each (breastplate gives +5)
  6. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Ynnek@Kithicor wrote:
    At its worst, tinkering has a 20% skill up rate (for grey recipes). On a bad day with the RNG against you I can't imagine anyone making more than 20 combines without a skill up. Ynnek brings up a very good point: how many combines did you finish in an hour? Time isn't the measure, its how many items you made!
    If you stick to yellow-white con recipes you'll get the max skill up chance, 50%.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lamatu Guest

You should always be tinkering white or yellow con items for skillups and only to the first bar. If you want to really knock it out save up the 200% 10 min progress potions from the tradeskill aprentices. You can do those every 18hrs on every alt even at tradeskill lvl 1.
    It took me 80 minutes using 7 of those potions to go from 1-380. I'll never tinker on another alt unless I have those potions saved up. Always have all the recipes bought and use a guild harvest depot.
  8. ARCHIVED-Filly67 Guest

Lamatu wrote:
    This +10. Only go through the first bar and with the potions I got two toons from about 120 to 350 in about three hours each, tops.
    But that being said I don't know why the OP is having such slow returns. Tinkering can be a grind but I have never had it go that badly.
  9. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

sorry, been away from forum that long.
    also, thank you Katz, that advice helps, took other bench, and went from 162 to 180 for short time.
    sigfridgia/Seidhkona, hi, it been ages chat with you on forum, those are good info, and i dont have all of it yet, i just also got one of rare drop in Unrest just 2 days ago, and got new boots upgraded.
    it was just that awful bad string of not getting a skill up, i have all the recipes as other said it was a bad "RNG".
    currently i had work during this last week, skill went up from 180/460 to 284/460 in just a week, average 10-20, or more a day depending how motivated i am. i think i may able to reach 400th later this week or after 4th of july weekend.
    just curious, folks, what skill level requirement with "tinker guild" pirates at Thurgadin Dockyard? 400? or 450?
  10. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

it getting slow down at 330/460.
    i cant believe how bad it eats up 60-69 lvl raws, not even my harvesting cant keep up to keep harvestbox stocked.
    numbers that consumed are so totally wrong, it seem that dev team cant do math with tinker burning up.
    they also need to look on those harvest nodes, even with best crafter gears are still pulling 1's instead of 3's or 5's, also i feel 3 pulls per node are really dumb and outdated, it should had 5 pulls per node.
    in past, i remembered when i was gathering, mining, and trappings, those nodes were popping steadly as we go, and that when we had no tinker tools and mounts, we had no speed. and now, after pulling several times, and i noticed the harvest nodes didnt spawn as quick, sometimes i had to wait 10 mins or go to other zones. i cant believe how slow are those nodes respawning.
    anyway, i am concerning about those next tier of 70-79 lvl raws and how much it used up. that is staggering amount wasted and cost of fuels just to try a skill level up.
    pulling 1's each time is a joke in upper high tier tinker base when harvesting, come on dev team, please look up for better options.
  11. ARCHIVED-bluja000 Guest

Why bother with that tier then? Go harvest a lower tier and max out your harvest box, use lower tier fuel, and craft until you are maxed. You don't have to stay with the max tier to get skillups, it only doubles your potential skill rate. Grey recipes will still get you a 1 in 4 chance of skillup, versus 1 in 2 chance with a white or better recipe. If you have alot of one tier mats, or you can get a ton of a different tier, then just go ahead and do the recipes for that tier. Save yourself stress and hassle, and fuel costs, by just doing whatever tier you have mats for. And if mats are that big a concern, do the recipe all the way to the fourth completion, rather than stopping after the first. You'll get more mats back per combine that way, but no better or worse chance of a skillup.
  12. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

trebian, you're genius, i try it as you said to use lower tier even they are greyed. it works! and it saved me alot of fuels and cost at high tier recipes.
    as to update, so far i am at 431/460. so now i am taking a mini break, just less than hour away or depending on RNG.
    it is 400 base tinkerskill for those Thurgadin Pirate faction at the dock. i feel that it isnt enough for faction, why isnt there a daily quest? it seem it is half-finish and incomplete faction. or seem it got abandoned by devs.
    i stay away from making some tinker items that required several rares, but only need what i can use.
  13. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

You can get tinkering from 1-400 in 2 days. If you limit bathroom breaks and have about 10,000 loams handy. ;)
  14. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Trebien@Nektulos wrote:
    Grey is a 20% chance, 1 in 5. Yellow/white is 50% or 1 in 2.