[BUG] SS croc caves disappear into the void

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by ColbyJack, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I was out harvesting in the croc caves in Sinking Sands, and I noticed that at two spots, the world kinda disappears into black void. I haven't fallen through it, but it happens consistently at the same spots. The first is when you're entering the cave from up north near the waterfall, the other one appears only if you're leaving the croc caves towards the entrance at the waterfall.
    Not a massive problem, I guess, but it's disconcerting.

Heading out towards the waterfall, normal:
    [IMG]
    Take a single step forward, and BOOM!
    [IMG]

Heading into the caves, from the waterfall entrance:
    [IMG]
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  2. flameweaver Well-Known Member

This has been happening since Sinking Sands was released. The black out occurs when you're pointing only in certain directions and returns to normal when you turn your character. It also happens in other areas of SS where there are tunnels.

It'll probably get fixed some time soon. :rolleyes:
    Ceyllynn and Eradani like this.
  3. Eradani Well-Known Member

and the post of the day award goes to...
    Ceyllynn and flameweaver like this.
  4. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I guess I never seen it because I literally never entered the caves from that side. It was my desperate search for loams that led me there.
    Ceyllynn and flameweaver like this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I concur. It's still doing it on live. I think what it is is a zone line. I usually turn around facing back the way I came then walk backwards across the line, because sometimes walking forward over the line you fall through the world.
    flameweaver likes this.
  6. Haohmaru Developer

I've looked in to this bug more times than I care to admit. I've resetup and cut up the interior of that area in various ways and the bug keeps moving around. I know how it happens (common bug actually) but not why it can't be fixed in 'this' instance. Maybe with the new year, I'll see it from a different angle and fewer curse words. In the end, it's sooooo gonna be something stupidly simple too, I just know it. Hardest bugs to diagnose always seem to be the easiest to fix.
  7. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

yeah noticed it when i started and stormhold and yep seen it on perma/skyfire, i've never fallen through, but it's creepy as all hell... murphy's law and his more evil twin sullivan and his law go hand in hand with gaming, clearly thecave just loves your touch so keep bringing the bug back just for the attention... if haoh disappears we know the first place to look.

*sullivan's law: murphy was an optimist.
  8. Eradani Well-Known Member

if it helps to see other places doing that or similar things:

there's a place in nek where you're running from CL to ...where the griffin tower is on the cliff. you're running by that first lake on the right and everything disappears.

and recently, when you zone from Ant to TS, the wall there is opaque but your pov doesn't move into ts, leaving you looking at the wall from the Ant side
  9. Haohmaru Developer

Oh my goodness, I've fixed it... Turned out to be the sometimes quirky way our engine handles level-of-detail. Cleared that up in these areas, and poof! All better. And of course, as I mentioned, it was indeed something stupidly simple. That's the bestest.

No longer shall I be haunted by this nightmare!
    Levatino, Katz, Beee and 2 others like this.
  10. flameweaver Well-Known Member

This is great news and not a moment too soon :)
    Did you, by any chance, have a look at the cave where the pirates hang out (in Sinking Sands), there is a similar issue there, where depending on your orientation, half of the cave disappears into the void.
    Leeroy likes this.
  11. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

The same can happen in the 1st named room in Tepid Depths if you wish to have further nightmares :D
    flameweaver likes this.
  12. Alenna Well-Known Member

cool hope if fixed the other cave in SS on the island. same thing happens there.
  13. Kuulei Well-Known Member

This is too funny, I put in a bug report about this back in 2005 no less than twice. I just figured they had no way to fix it. I am so HAPPY you have found a fix and look forward to no vertigo when I harvest in there!:D
    Levatino likes this.
  14. Katz Well-Known Member

You are persistent! Well done.