Info Needed [Broken Spells] Purifying Flames

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bearoco, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Bearoco Active Member

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but the initial damage on Purifying Flames consistently doesn't hit. To clarify, at level 70, the spell tooltip reads:
    • Inflicts 1640-1747 heat damage on target.
    • Inflicts 516-623 heat damage on target every 4 seconds.
    • Decreases Mitigation of target vs arcane damage by 1001.
    The initial 1640-1747 damage just doesn't hit the mob, only the DoT portion. There are a number of other spells that this happens to including Smite Corruption (Inquis/Templar), Torment (Inquisitor), Warring Deities (Templar), Ice Spears (Wizard), and I'm sure there are some I am missing. Please take a look into any spell with an initial damage component with a DoT attached, there has to be a bug where this damage misses on a server tick or something.
  2. Grimble Member

For INQ I have seen something similar at high level. Here you will see that if you are using the AA conversion. If you look at the 2 damage types, one of them is 'Melee' damage (the insta hit) and the other part is 'Damage type; - eg mental, fire, crush etc. (Am talking high level here - cant remember if affects lower level spells). I never however use damage spells as an INQ (just CA AA's) so i am not sure how spells might be affected.

What I see with the CA AA's for INQ is the insta DD part of the CA is classed as a 'Melee' hit and can be 'blocked, parried, riposted or just miss'. So in RoR due to the increased level of the mobs, the resistance for this is now much more noticable, so you will see a lot more miss this initial hit unless you spec for some 'skills or strikethrough'. This combined with many mobs seemingly being like bruiser types and block/parry a lot of frontals etc, so also positioning now helps. Could this also be the same in TLE? - not sure

I dont think for this it is 100% a bug, but could be just another knock on impact of level increased resistance to 'melee' on most RoR (and other) mobs. It really affected INQ dps along with the removal of their melee multiplier. Even with 2 extra skills augs and 2 strikethrough i still get blocked/parried etc about 10% of any AA DD component or melee hit.

I cant remember at low level whether you get these type of AA conversions?, but if you do I would also check your logs for 'riposte, blocks and parry' or 'miss' and what damage type the DD is for the spells you list and whether you are using any AA conversions or just the spells - would be interesting to see if they fall into the above category too .

It is weird though that this happens with actual spells and those damage types you list as i can sort of understand the AA melee problem. I do however always see the first hit either hit or be blocked parried etc, so the AA conversions for the INQ spells you mention do try to do something.
  3. Bearoco Active Member

Thanks for the feedback and your testing, Gimble. Unfortunately, I'm not talking about the melee line - just the normal spell. I understand the melee combat art can be avoided, and I don't think that's a bug. I'm saying the spell initial hit doesn't get resisted, it just doesn't even do damage or isn't reported in logs at all. That's the bug.
    KaitlynnAM101, Tieron and Grrrrrl like this.
  4. Ratalthor Developer

We have not been able to reproduce this. Are there specific mobs that you are seeing this issue on? Or a particular zone? If you can reproduce it consistently, please PM me your character name / server. Thanks.
    KaitlynnAM101 and Twyla like this.
  5. Bearoco Active Member

Name is Bearr on Varsoon. I will take some screenshots of parses when I get back to my PC as well.
    KaitlynnAM101 and Tieron like this.
  6. Bearoco Active Member

7. Bearoco Active Member

See here:
    https://imgur.com/a/sDbYSAO

The X's in red are when a cast occurs but no initial damage occurs. The O's in green are when a cast occurs but initial damage does occur.
    KaitlynnAM101 and Tieron like this.
  8. Liberal Active Member

I have noticed this happening a lot more in raids as opposed to when i'm out soloing.

This is also a fairly universal bug regardless of the class/ability, anything with a debuff, initial damage, and a dot attached (such as -arcane, -noxious, etc.) seems to be not functioning/hitting at times.

Wizard ice spears also seems to have this issue for example.
    KaitlynnAM101 likes this.
  9. Bearoco Active Member

Yeah - I was hoping that when this issue was looked into deeper they'd find a core piece of code broken and once fixed, it would fix Ice Spears and all of the other DoTs that functionally are broken in the same way. Hopefully providing evidence on one spell will be enough to find the core issue.
  10. Zare New Member

Was there ever any more information on this? I just realized this is happening with my Death Swarm on Fury. Not every time, but about 2/5 times on Green mobs.