Broken / Nerfed Shields: AoM

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Numbski, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Numbski New Member

I've noticed that a lot of the quest shields have had their protection value nerfed from over 3,000 to ~2200. While I fully understand the need to lower the amount of benefit from the quest related items, it appears that the mastercrafted Xiocite Deathwatch Tower Shields are still broken when experimented. Today, I dropped from 68% uncontested block down to 51% and when I try to equip the mastercrafted/experimented shield, I drop to 39%...Has anyone else noticed this problem?
  2. Squirtikiss Member

Bugs, bugs, bugs. Does anyone know a similar MMO out there that is not so buggy? I like this game, but the bugs are really starting to bug me. Especially since I bug problems in-game and nothing is done about it. Same bug weeks later. I was actually going to post on the forums a thank you to the devs for the great game. I changed my mind when I thought about all the bugs. So many!!
  3. GIndotto Well-Known Member

Numbski - the shields weren't nerfed they were fixed, but they still aren't fixed as they should be. You were never intended to have 68% uncontested block with those shields, as both mit and avoidance curves were increased. Shields were not scaling correctly with their level, case in point "The Western Compass" tank reward shield from the first few AoM quests gave you 23k avoidance when equipped. LOL Not intended. I reported the issue and it was supposed to be fixed, but still not completely so. The shield is still too high of UBlock and Avoidance.

The MC shield puts you right where you should be with Quest or MC gear. Better upgrades can be found in Contested zones and a Heroic, and then of course early Raid (and likely late raid too) that will push you over 50% and beyond, I'm sure. As of now, with one of the Fabled shields out of Ossuary Heroic (20% block, 3600 rating), I'm at 50% UBlock, which is in line with scaling up from the 3000 protection on the MC to 3600 on the Fabled.

I tanked most the zones with 38% UBlock prior to getting upgrades because I was made aware of the issue with Quest Shields giving ridiculous amounts of avoidance. If it's still doing that have fun with it but don't get too cozy. I would suggest just learning to tank with the 38% UBlock off the MC shield, and start upgrading gear and your shield when you can to get that up more. I think until recently I was floating about 44% UBlock with the MC shield and some mystical \ green malice mixed gear.
  4. Numbski New Member

Thanks for the perspective/update gindotto! I recognize that the quest shields were more then likely giving way too much bonus to stats and no issue with SOE fixing them. I'm just trying to sort out what is the appropriate percentages a tank could/should be w/ tank shields at the moment. At the end of last ToV expansion, I was sitting close to 65% uncontested block.

I now have Lany's Mercy (drop off 3rd named in Molten Pools), and I'm currently sitting at 44.7% uncontested block. I swapped it out from another quest shield, Pirate's Shield of the Shattered Seas and I dropped from 52-53% down to 44.7% uncontested block and lost about 1,000 overall avoidance. If the heroic shields and raid shields are working as intended, while all the quest shields were just overpowered mechanic wise, that's cool -- just want to make sure I'm in tune w/ the "intended" mechanics for tanks so far this expansion.