Bring Back the Questing in Everquest II

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Rargo, May 9, 2020.

1. Rargo Active Member

Who wants to see more questing? This game used to be about quests. Now it's the lack there off and the boring grind. One signature line does not cut it.
    Bring back heritage quests! How about a new Epic quest!
    Laita, Argosunited, Jinxd and 16 others like this.
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

Yeah, one of the disturbing things from the podcasts is listening to Kander complain about how time consuming creating quests are and how much more quickly they can develop overseer content. It's like he's forgotten the name of the game. The enjoyment and engagement from running quests is significantly greater than hitting a few mouse clicks every couple hours to claim quest rewards and sending new agents out.
    Udonn, Dude, Cyrrena and 13 others like this.
  3. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

You aren't enjoying Everseer II?

+1 to more actual worthwhile quests, with end goals and not just RNG.
    Wulfgyr, Ratala, Argosunited and 13 others like this.
  4. Breanna Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes. And I'd also like to see chest drops again for killing mobs. Is that hard to do also?
    Argosunited, Udonn, Dude and 5 others like this.
  5. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

With the stat inflation that inevitably occurs every expansion it would be nice to have an epic upgrade quest every expansion that upgrades said epic to be competitive with the new expansions gear. To, you know, keep it epic.

Maybe even tie it to the sig line wherein the sig line quest is a good portion of the solo able portion of the epic upgrade quest, along with some group or raid content after the sig line to complete it.

It gets old grinding out for the maximum amount of relevant stats each expansion only to have to reset the gear treadmill every 12 months, because the beginner crate gear is better than last expansions raid gear. Its like a slap in the face. Oooh you did so well grinding everything out for a year, SLAPPPP!!, now start over.

Have more content and less grind.
    Argosunited, Dude and Cyrrena like this.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

The insane stat inflation between expacs only started around DoV/Skyshrine when Smokejumper had the brainstorm that quested gear in new expacs should be better than top tier raid gear from the previous expac.
    It still wasn't horrendous, until the GU that came in march of the Thalumbra expac, where potency went from 200-400, to 1000+.
    The devs are 100% in control of the insane stat inflation, and we have the road map to document when they took out the breaks, added a jet engine and cut the parachute strings.
    Argosunited, Dude, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  7. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Oh I remember that GU, free easy massive upgrades from all sorts of roll your face across the keyboard content. I actually quit playing for a while shortly there after because of the absurdity.

Wholeheartedly agree though... It was the moment they stopped pretending that content mattered, the game became entirely about the gear treadmill at that point.
    Dude and Cyrrena like this.
  8. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

If they cant make enough quests for an expansion, they need to stop releasing an expansion every year. Do it every 18 or 24 months instead and then add a new heroic and a filler raid in between while also keeping the summer events a thing, all things that could be part of the expansion progression.

Quests and exploring is a vital part of playing a MMO. Heritage quests used to be great and Epic quests used to be epic. In Luclin we got zero heritage quests and the epic is so boring I dont actually didnt even read the quest text this time around, its just click and item once and then u forget about it because its auto accepting as you zone to the next instance.

Playing a mobile app everyday is not playing Everquest 2 and it never should have been.
    Wulfgyr, Ratala, Dude and 6 others like this.
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Just restoring all the quests that have been removed from the game for whatever inane reasons they were removed in the first place would add back over 2000 quests I believe is the count I had last.

I know at least a dozen roleplayers that would volunteer to write storylines that they could then break into quest series. But they do not seem to want free help. So I guess we will just cling to the mast......
  10. Cassiara Member

I must confess, I miss having loads of quests to pick up as soon as I enter a zone.
  11. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Quests are a double-edged sword:

• It costs time and resources to design and implement (trade-offs with zones, missions, and raids)
    • Some people find "roleplay" elements wasteful. Many people don't bother to read dialogue and lore.
    • Quests can be annoying and tedious for some (limited playtime, want dopamine rush).
    • Some quests cannot be soloed.
    • Players do not want to repeat quests.
    • No up-to-date resources to help with quests.
  12. Jamzez Active Member

You know the crying that it's hard for dev's to add quests to a game called EVERQUEST 2 is bogus either do the job or look in the mirror and ask yourself if your burned out on working on the game, adding overseer's, infusing and everything else isn't exactly showing you have a passion for the game still.
  13. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Meh. They added Diaku Corral in GU 114.

[IMG]
  14. Jamzez Active Member

So your saying since I did the BOL signature quest line I can come back and just do Diaku Corall over and over and over.. Outside of the raid's everything else in the expansion is not worthwhile doing?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  15. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

16. Jamzez Active Member

So the dev's are still reusing old zone's how many year's is that now 4?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  17. Jaeded Well-Known Member

There was something Kander said in one of the Kander's Candor episodes that was very telling, something about not playing any more, which I sort of understand but there was something about the way he said it and the context of his reponse that just didn't sit right. It was almost as though he was saying it isn't worth playing anymore without actually saying that.
  18. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

When you go back to old zones, and play through the old xpacs on alts, it says so much about the current game. Questing is fun, and it is what EverQUEST is all about. Sadly I don't think Daybreak are going to let DPG have anyone or any more resources, so we're left with Kander who doesn't like the game, and Caith who doesn't like the players. And they're the ones making all the big decisions.
    I'm hanging around hoping for a great GU in late summer, but if rumours are to be believed, last year the small number who still care had to make Fabled Kael off their own backs. They did a great job, but I heard a rumour they almost had to give up their own time to make it happen.
    If the next xpac is a mess, I can't see how I can continue giving my time to this. If I hadn't moved to the guild I'm in now, just before BoL, I think I'd have quit months ago.
    Wulfgyr, Cyrrena and Kurei Hitaka like this.
  19. Argosunited Well-Known Member

I think it's time for some new blood. Get rid of them all and hire some staff that have a passion for gaming, and actually play EQ2, that would be a good start.
    I'm sick of hearing what can't be done and ending up with garbage like Overseers. Overseers, a quest substitute .... you say you don't have time to create quests but how much time has been wasted on this rubbish.

Also it's time someone put a stop to Discord. Why do they have so much time for head pats, but they can't fix 6 month old bugs?
    Rhodris, Wulfgyr, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  20. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

This right here is probably the biggest problem, and why I've felt something was lost in the transition between Altar of Malice and the Expansion following it. Altar of Malice is probably the last time it truly seemed like anyone at SoE/DBG even sort of cared about providing a real experience to the player. Yes, the game had been on the decline since about TSO/SF but it still had soul, and you had a community that generally enjoyed what it was receiving plus developers who were thrilled to deliver it.

The remaining devs saying they are excited for something feels hollow, like a joke you already know the punchline to, and it's not even a good one. They supposedly don't have the ability to develop any more meaningful customization within our classes themselves, they don't have the ability to develop anything beyond a basic questline for each expansion that generally relies on repeat-ables and barely adds anything to the existing EQ lore outside of the expansion premise itself, and they also don't seem to spend too much time developing new dungeon assets.

Used to think it would be pretty damn hard to make Norrath feel boring, but lately it's been kinda the opposite.
    Smashey, Rhodris, Wulfgyr and 2 others like this.