Brigand or Swashbuckler....more utility?

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-therearenonames, Nov 13, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-therearenonames Guest

Well, I hear brigands are debuffers and assasins are major damage dealers but I dont hear alot about swashbucklers (maybe because I always play Freeport). Anyway, I was wondering what the major differences in the two classes were. I wanted to make a duo of scouts with my wife and was thinking of a Brigand and assasin but maybe a swashbuckler and a bard might be better.....I just cant seem to figure out the brigand and swashbuckler.
  2. ARCHIVED-therearenonames Guest

Well, I see a lot of upset ppl in the Brigand forums....but I really would like to duo two scouts with my wife, one of them being an assasin and the other.....brigand or swashie.

The brigand forum is saying swashie is better but then I have the problem with the both of us being on opposing factions.....

Any advice as to the potential of an assasin and swashbuckler would be great. We plan to mostly quest as a team and only do groups on occassion, not exclusively.

Thanks!
  3. ARCHIVED-SmCaudata Guest

Without a healer I think the brig will be a little bit more durable. The people complaining about brigs has to do with Amazing Reflexes and AoE immunity, which probably won't matter as much to use. In a full group the swashies have the advantage of doing more AoE damage making it easier to hold the mobs attention, but if you are duoning this won't be as much of an issue really.

If one of you is definately going assasin and you want to stay on the same faction then play a brig. If your wife goes bard then either will work fine. A brig is going to have more defense and live slightly longer with stuns and such and a swash is going to do a bit more damage on a single target because they don't have many positionals. Really both classes are going to perform fairly equally for what you are describing despite recent complaints on the brigand board.

If you go brigand+dirge you get that nice caucophony of blades and stoneskin. That would be a really nice combination.
  4. ARCHIVED-shogun007 Guest

Swashy provides better utilty and overall better for grp, brigands have sligh atvantage at soloing mostly due to their nuke and stuns , and big advantage in raids due to their superior debuffs , for duo both can be similar good for duo. If u choose one rogue and one predator ,rogue can tank while predator can deliver bigger hits from the back or side. Swashy have more aoe damage ,hate transfer and more ranged ,while brigand has more stuns and better debuffs , they both can solo excellent and fill a spot of any dpser with pride. I dont suggest u get a bard for duo, bards shine in grps and raids but dont do much damage and in grp of 2 ppl their buffs will be rather unnoticable . So u have 2 choices atm get swashy and ranger or assasin and brigand , which basically comes down to what city u like the most Qeynos of Freeport. Hope that helps
  5. ARCHIVED-therearenonames Guest

Thanks, it has been very informative. I spoke with some lvl 70s in game as well and i think it comes down to these factors.

1) my wife wont play alone unless im there....so brigand/assassin
    2) the debuffs of the brigand will be more valuable in a duo than a swashy buffing just one person
    3) the hate transfer of the swashy is useless as I would need the aggro so the assassin can do damage
    4) the brigand can stun to help mitigate damage and also allow the assassin to continue ****** the mob
    5) I also understand that brigands are in demand for debuffing later in the game

After looking at everything it would be easier to make the brigand and assassin combo.....but I want to play woodelves, lol. I guess we can betray or just go with dark elves.

Again, thanks to everyone....on the forums or ingame (to include all the threads on these forums)!!!
  6. ARCHIVED-A 12 Gauge 007 Guest

I duo alot with all 3 chars listed as well as a warden. I can say that Brig/Assass cant hold agro on multi mob encounters. Swashy does this with ease. Other then that the are all good combos.
  7. ARCHIVED-cableknit Guest

As one who plays both Brig and a Swash, and have tested waters on Assassins, your best bet would be Swash in your case. Assassins do a ton of damage but have to be stealthed (for the majority) and behind the mob (iirc)... and Brigs do a lot of their major dmg from behind as well. Granted, they can Subdue (or whatever it's called at any rank, Blackjack, etc. etc.) and go behind the mob for some time, however with a Swash you can also stun and get off 1-2 of your debuffs, and then continue to taunt and damage the mob, maintaining the aggro... as I've noticed with Brigands, it is harder to keep aggro, so you have the aggro bouncing back and forth, which can be fun because you can take turns doing your attacks from behind and then having the aggro switch, mobs imho would die faster with a Swash/Assassin combo.
    Though personally, one of you should play a bard :p
  8. ARCHIVED-Twizzler66 Guest

Btw brigands get a Wood elf illusion = )
    Play a brigand. You can tank AND debuff the mobs defenses. Assasin will be doing more damage.