Boxing a group need advice

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Venur, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Venur Active Member

Its mostly to solo grouping zone for master spell drops and a few other place.

Id use a pally tank as amend help a lot with aggro when boxing but Im mostly wo6ndering about mercs. Is going with 3 boxed toon and 3 merc would be viable ? Pally, Mage and a mystic with mercs beeing inq, wizzy and ? Seem like a good idea on paper. What you guys think ? Would less merc ? A different composition ?
  2. Tinkerbe Active Member

The nice thing about mercs is you can use them when you need them and dismiss them when you don't. I do a lot of 3 and 4 boxing on two computers. I prefer to play a couple of mages on the off computer as it is super easy to get plenty of damage from them with very little effort.

Pally is a nice choice for your main as you can both tank and self heal. Using a cleric merc is a little safer with a pally. Pally and two mages is one of my favorite 3-box combinations. When filling out the group with mercs I use a cleric, bard and another monk/SK.
  3. Venur Active Member

Why a sk/monk and not a dps merc ?
  4. Zythus Active Member

hey i also 3 box quite abit of stuff as well, my current setup is: Warden, Dirge, Brigand - and Monk merc (very good tank - hes tanked 2 names in dom for us to, seems to be able to tank most things in game), the Inquisitor (skyshrine) merc (purely because he is a curebot and takes the strain off my healer abit so i can focus more on ds) and finnaly i use either ragnaught (brigand, very good dps) or dolsie song spinner (troub merc - again nice dps and debuffs). i found that also switching the monk merc out for a another ragnaught and letting my dirge tank can be decent as well. - but out of all of this i would deffo suggest the monk and ragnaught merc even if you have a tank, he can dps pretty well to
  5. Zythus Active Member

just another thing to add to that - can i ask, why a mage instead of using a scout? playing 3 toons can be a little tough to start out with, i find using a scout can be abit more beneficial as he can carry on smacking the mob while i switch between other toons for buffs/heals and stuff, just something to think about hehe. but pally and mystic will be a good combo for that - possibly with a boxed swash or brigand, or maybe dirge even
  6. The-Plethora Active Member

Played Characters
    Paladin
    Warlock
    Mystic or Fury

Ideal Mercs
    Perrin Wanderhoof
    Matri Dut
    Stamper

Warlock or Wizard are going to be the main damage dealer and with amends you are good to go, I would favor warlock due to the AOEs which would make leveling up and clearing zones less painful, the wizards big positional attack fusion would be tricky to position if you had them on auto follow.
    As for healers, mystic would be nice for tank survivability but if you are pulling a big bunch of stuff decent group heals of the fury and int buffs will make life a lot easier in general to manage, tricky to call there I would say, again, depends on your boxing setup and preferences a bit.

Most of the mercs are fairly useless so it's about picking the best of a bad bunch. Stamper still seems to be the best all out healer (by that I mean actually casts something) which is a nice backup. Matri and Perrin would be useful to have if you can get them but if you are stuck with the regular mercs I'd probably go with...

Stamper
    The mystic or defiler merc if you chose fury for main if you went mystic then SK for AOE
    Conjuror or Necro merc
  7. The-Plethora Active Member

Any characters that require positioning for attacks is going to be a bit more work with depending on your setup, if you have to worry about being within 2 meters of the enemy, flanking or behind them then it's a lot of messing about whereas if you choose a mage it's largely clicking buttons.

My personal box setup is a bit odd and I initially chose it to help level up. I have a Defiler and a Warlock. I wanted a defiler as at the time they seemed to have the best all out warding and survivability and quite rare. Now I spend a lot of my time clearing old raid zones. It's nice to clear current stuff but if you run the older raid zones you are almost guaranteed 3 - 5 master spells in the current spell tier 86+

I usually run
    Icy keep and vigilant are crazy quick. It's also worth running cella as you can clear it in less than 5 mins now and get a couple of fableds and maybe a master. Also if you have a tradeskill class choose the salvage ability and then all those useless fabled items that drop you can salvage into rares which are decent money too :)
    With the warlock and defiler I run with perrin and stamper and with regular gear upgrades I find myself getting that little bit further in a zone every so often, i'm working the Sleepers Tomb X4 at the moment and with a warlock tanking it's a lot of fun :)
  8. Tinkerbe Active Member

I'm getting plenty of dps from my two mages. The SK and Monk both do decent damage and I don't have to worry if they steal agro. In fact, if I am feeling lazy and just want to grind I can let them take agro and not focus on taunts from my pally.
  9. Tinkerbe Active Member

I want to make one more comment on this....

Sometimes multi-boxing is not about maximizing numbers and formulating the best possible group that can be run by one person. I love to multi-box with a theme. Lately I have been playing a gnome group, named and dressed to enhance the play. Thanks to my push to use goblin tickets I managed to get at least one gnome heritage set on each account. Now I have Tinkerbe (wiz), Tinkerdo (con), Tinkerde (Illy), and Tinkerbo (warlock) running around in their mech armor. It is quite a site to see 5 gnomes (including the illy pet) all looking alike blasting anything that moves. They all ride storm clouds which match the smoke and spark armor. If I really need to push it the two casters that don't have pets use tank and healer mercs to fill out the group.

When not on a mount they can use their race illusions to turn into flying bots and even call up the little flying robot pet that you get questing in Kelethin. Then I have 9 little flying robots flying around, ready to invade any tavern.

Lots of fun and I plan to take this group right up to 95.
  10. aspekx Well-Known Member

ive made an RP mouse guild (yes, i know it's rats, but it's also my RP, so the rats stay rats, but my rats are actually mice :D).

and in fact would love to run with 3 of my mice alts as a guild out adventuring. i build whole stories in my head while im running amok with the mice.

it's one reason why ive suggested that making it possible for us to have our alts as mercs would be a lot of fun.
  11. aspekx Well-Known Member

speaking of boxing: would any of you be willing to share tips and ideas on how you personally pass commands to two or more clients? im in a bit of a rut trying to figure this out.

also, if you are not having to turn your gfx to Extreme Performance, how do you get away with higher settings? ive built my new machine and it runs really well and speedy. but of course this game was built a while back on the assumption of super fast, super cheap processors.