Botting

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Sixgauge, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Why are fast travel and mercs disabled, when 24/7 portal bots are allowed? Tired of living in a world that makes no sense.
  2. Zenji Well-Known Member

if I listed the top 500 problems with Varsoon.

Portal bots wouldn't make the cut.
    Carizia, adaria, Rozyn and 5 others like this.
  3. Arandar Well-Known Member

I realize this is more rhetorical, but those portal bots sitting in someone's house represent $15/mo or thereabouts of additional revenue and, perhaps more importantly, their accounts count as an active subscription in metrics. Clicking on a fast travel icon does neither of those things.
    Laalon2 likes this.
  4. Laalon2 Active Member

Good lord, this.... ALL OF THIS! Portal bots hurt literally no one.
    Carizia, adaria, Escape and 3 others like this.
  5. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

I can see an argument for fast travel, although I'm glad it isn't around (it's convenient but it takes a lot away from the classes that have portals available), but mercs? Really?
    adaria likes this.
  6. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

You can't see how a merc and a bot are the same thing?

If portal bots hurt no one, then please just open up fast travel.

BTW no one LITERALLY gets hurt, it's a video game.
  7. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Feel free to start your own thread then.
  8. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

That is quite rhetorical, I'm not interested in DBG's stock portfolio and business model, just talking about gameplay here.
  9. Laalon2 Active Member

Then please enlighten us how a portal bot affects your gameplay

They make mine easier.... /shrug

Edit: Also, fast travel IS open. Do Maid for the Mist
    adaria likes this.
  10. Arandar Well-Known Member

You might want to separate the two for discussion purposes, but in practical terms they're linked. The reason this game exists is to make money. The decisions they make, regardless of whether we individually consider them to be good or bad, are usually going to be central to that primary consideration.
  11. Unrivaled Member

I just wanna know why botters are banned for botting and the portal bot isn't banned.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Because no one has reported it to DBG? Or because it's not adversely affecting gameplay? Who knows?
  13. Laalon2 Active Member

I need someone, ANYONE, to tell me how a portal bot affects your gameplay negatively.... Seriously. Maybe I'm missing something? Explain it to me like I'm 5, even.
  14. Unrivaled Member

It doesn't at all, i'm in the botters should be allowed to bot club personally - in instances away from contesteds.
    Laalon2 likes this.
  15. Arandar Well-Known Member

The obvious answer there is because portal bots don't actively interfere with the gameplay of others; they don't kill quest targets, they don't clearcut harvesting nodes, and for the most part they're not in anyone's face. They're tucked away inside housing instances that no one sees unless they intentionally go looking for them.
    adaria likes this.
  16. Zenji Well-Known Member

No thanks, I like this one.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  17. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Portal botters are heros!
    Laalon2 likes this.
  18. Laalon2 Active Member

No one?
  19. Arandar Well-Known Member

Obviously portal bots affect the poor, downtrodden druids and sorcerers who would open ports in the slums, hoping to get tipped a few coppers to feed their children. But now? They starve. You monsters.
    Jaden, Siren, Arioche and 4 others like this.
  20. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I was sitting there trying to arrange my dismally overfilled, messy bags, with my screen filled with bag windows. Apparently, some little halfling was standing in front of me for like 5 mins getting more and more irate that I wasn't auto casting a portal for them. Of course, I was supposed to get this psychically, they didn't send a tell or say anything...

I'm a huge fan of the portals. It takes a little bit to get to them, you have to know they are there. If a player chooses to travel the Vanilla way, more power to them - we wouldn't ruin your immersion for anything. If the argument is that if a kill stealing, node hogging bot is banned, why isn't a portal bot banned, IDK what to tell you.
    Jaden, Tkia, oakmiser and 2 others like this.